Linux: Black screen on startup

Discussion in 'Support!' started by darkjaguar91, November 30, 2013.

1. darkjaguar91

darkjaguar91 New Member

The game starts up and the steam overlay works perfectly, but the game elements do not draw (completely black screen if the steam overlay is not up).

System:
    OpenSuSe 13.1
    NVIDIA 770M running optimus (Bumblebee)
    I7 4800MQ (intel 4600 gfx card)

I have tested both the 331.2 and 325 linux nvidia drivers with bumblebee-nvidia and neither work.

I also have to run steam with: STEAM_RUNTIME=0 as the game will not even start without this.

Note:
    i have tried it with the flag --software-ui which has no change.
    Running the game from the install directory (not with steam) has the same issue.
    Running the game with the intel based card has the same issue

Repo used for bumblebee install: home: /Overman79:/Laptop/openSUSE_Factory/
  2. SXX

SXX Post Master General

There is known issues with running PA with Optimus: PA#1628
    You need to look at forums, some people reported they're run it's successfully, but I don't know how they done it.
  3. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Just in case with latest Mesa and kernel and some fixes applied PA can should work fairly well on HD4600.
  4. darkjaguar91

darkjaguar91 New Member

I have already had a look at most of the forums, non of the fixes I could find seem to work.

I tried the HD 4600 fixes you linked, but the issue remains that even the Intel card has the black screen issue. Though the intel card only has this issue once bumblebee has been installed (running bumblebee to turn off the dedicated nvidia card and run only the intel card).

I spent allot of time finding all the libraries that are required and creating symbolic links to the PA install folder /hosts/ in order to run it without steam to see any errors. The only errors that occur are multiple models for the Air_factory and advance_air_factory.

An error that occurs occasionally is: opening of the bomber_torpedo.papa failing.
  5. SXX

SXX Post Master General

It's not related to black screens.
  6. SXX

SXX Post Master General

If you have Steam installed you don't have to find any libraries, you can use Steam runtime from here:
    ~/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/amd64/
  7. triffidhunter

triffidhunter New Member

I had this problem upon initial install.

Turns out, host/CoherentUI_Host is quite poorly written and completely fails on most linux systems to do what it's intended to do, because 1) ldconfig is not usually in user path and 2) it can return multiple results for a single library

To work around that, find your 64-bit libudev.so and symlink into host/. Mine lives at /lib64/libudev.so.1

This is the exact command that worked on my system:

Code:
    ln -s /lib64/libudev.so.1 ~/Games/PA/host/libudev.so.0
  8. SXX

SXX Post Master General

I'm posted fixed script here while ago: PA#2024
    It's checking if library actually 64-bit and use first valid library.

Though I have no idea how it's should work without ldconfig. If you have better idea how game need to detect libudev location post it here.
  9. darkjaguar91

darkjaguar91 New Member

Thanks triffidhunter and SXX. I did actually link libudev to the hosts folder, but i linked the 32-bit version... I just corrected that error and it now works perfectly. Well almost, the mouse is not drawn but there are many posts that have fixes for that.

Again thanks allot, spent hours trying as much as I could.
  10. darkjaguar91

darkjaguar91 New Member

Hmm another issue. This fix does work for the INTEL card (mouse and icon fix works 2). It also works when running bumblebees optirun -b primus (cursor fixes don't work). But this fix does not help when running the game through primus. I can just play the game on the intel card, but would like to know if anyone knows the correct libudev to use for primus.
  11. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Do you mean you have black screen with primus? Or just corrupted cursor?

I just want to notice that black screen with optimus/primus is completely different issue i'm linked in my first message. And if you just have corrupted cursor it's mean that Coherent host still running on Intel card and probably you need modify script to run it with primus too.
  12. darkjaguar91

darkjaguar91 New Member

primusrun still gives a black screen.

But, further checks, the Cursor fix only works when running PA from its folder and not with steam for any GFX card.

Running PA through steam with primusrun works (game draws fine with no black screen) but still no cursor or in game radar icons.

So to clarify:
    -> primusrun works through steam after the symbolic link to 64-bit libudev.so.1 (steam most likely loads more libraries im missing).
    -> The mod from your link for the cursor icon fix works only for the intel gfx card and only when run without steam.
  13. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Just to be sure that it's not something wrong with mod can you run game though Steam and then try to use my PHP version of fix?
  14. darkjaguar91

darkjaguar91 New Member

So while getting the php mod u supplied up and running and testing without steam first, I made a huge problem. I ran PA as root and now steam and running as normal user continues to have segment faults.

But on the other hand, the php file is working when run as admin.

Note: I did do a reinstall of the game, did not fix the issue
  15. SXX

SXX Post Master General

You need check what permissions you break. E.g some temporary game or files might now have root as owner.
  16. darkjaguar91

darkjaguar91 New Member

Not sure what permissions I could be breaking everything in the PA file is owned by me except for the symbolic link to a root owned library libudev.so.1 in /usr/lib64/ which as far as I know is correct. I will continue to look at the output and the dump file for more.

Added the dump file for in case you know were to look.

Attached Files:

17. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Better run PA with starace ("strace ./PA") and check what file it's trying to read when segfault happen.
  18. darkjaguar91

darkjaguar91 New Member

PA crashes just after setting the graphics to medium.

Terminal output:
    ---------------------------
    [22:58:35.421] INFO Setting graphics to medium
    setOption medium
    setOption medium
    setOption medium
    setOption off
    [22:58:35.435] INFO Dump written to /tmp//2da58123-7cb8-b230-5a52ffe2-13ad9778.dmp
    [22:58:35.435] INFO Upload command: /home/bjtal/.local/share/Steam/SteamApps/common/Planetary\ Annihilation/crashupload -c /tmp/checkpoint.cpk -p Platform=linux -p Program=client -p TitleId=4 -p Version=57703 http://uberent.com/GameClient/SubmitCrashReportWithDump /tmp//2da58123-7cb8-b230-5a52ffe2-13ad9778.dmp
    /home/bjtal/.local/share/Steam/SteamApps/common/Planetary Annihilation/crashupload: /usr/lib64/libcurl.so.4: no version information available (required by /home/bjtal/.local/share/Steam/SteamApps/common/Planetary Annihilation/crashupload)
    Upload limit reached
    [22:58:35.443] INFO upload finished with exit code 0
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sadly I have never used strace before and thus am having issues understanding what it is doing just as the error occurs. Thus i have uploaded the strace.txt of the strace output from the INFO Setting graphics to medium line.

Attached Files:

19. SXX

SXX Post Master General

To be fair I don't see any reason why it's can crash.
    Is it happen when you're running game from Steam or console?

If from console this can be related to fact that game trying to use some system library which is not compatible with version game was built for on Ubuntu. E.g if you want to run PA from console you still have to use Steam runtime from here:
    ~/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/amd64/
  20. darkjaguar91

darkjaguar91 New Member

Well it doesn't work through the terminal and steam.

But I have been doing allot of debugging (like full reinstall of steam and PA) and then the links to the libudev 64-bit...

It has shown that it is the libudev file that has broken somehow. I will be doing a reinstall of all the bumblebee and nvidia libraries (such as udev) to see if i can fix this.
    Last edited: December 2, 2013