Lets set aside the "double-bomb" aspect. Bomb flight time.

Discussion in 'Monday Night Combat PC Discussion' started by eternal, March 31, 2011.

1. eternal

eternal New Member

One thing I'm noticing more as I play this patch is this. Even ignoring the whole "double bomb" tactic the nerf was pretty strong on the assaults level 3 bomb.

On average I'd say my bombs are typically in the air for about 2seconds, I tend to use them more often farther away rather than closer up, and they fly VERY slowly. With the removal of charging while deployed means that time is added onto the bombs recharge time.

If I want to use my bomb as anything more than simply a point blank hand grenade than I'm seeing 25-35% longer cooldowns than before at level 3. This is WITHOUT using them as traps, simply using them in combat but as medium range weapons.

If Uber refuses to change the way the bomb charges, it needs a reduction in cooldown on level 3 (it only got reductions on level 1 and 2) OR it needs to have its flight speed increased majorly to help compensate this.
  2. Shurryy

Shurryy New Member

Well obviously it's slow so that people has a chance to get away, or else it would be overpowered considering how often you can throw it. A bomb is still capable of dealing massive damage and knockback to their victims, if you hit with one of those taking out your target will be EZPZ and you would have automatically won that fight... If it ever crosses you mind that you have an Assault Rifle.
  3. eternal

eternal New Member

Until you decide to stop vying for attention with your "small font" I'm probably going to stop reading your posts. Its a pain on the eyes with a high resolution.
  4. Vlane

Vlane New Member

This.

Just so I understand this right. Because you can't use double-bombs anymore you want your bombs to travel faster. Is that right?
    Don't know how a reduced travel time would help you. If you can't hit your target now (which is easy with a level 3 bomb) you shouldn't be able to do it with that.

By the way, please get to the point in your posts. Lots of text without actual information regarding the issue.
  5. zenstar

zenstar New Member

He's not saying "Because you can't use double-bombs anymore you want your bombs to travel faster. Is that right?" exactly...
    He's saying that using a bomb at mid to long range increases the "nerffed" cooldown even more due to long flight times.
    I agree that the flight time needs to be there to help people avoid the bomb but remember that the bomb is also useful simply as a detterent and not always for a kill (I often drop a bomb just to get someone to take a long route when I'm trying to escape and am not going for a kill when I do so).
    He also suggests that without double bombing and with the long flight time the level 3 bomb should have a reduction in cooldown.

I liked someone else's suggestion (another thread): when the bomb is out the recharge will go to half way like the firebase cooldown. That stops double bombing but also doesn't hit the bomb throwing too hard.
  6. Shurryy

Shurryy New Member

Re-posting proper size for your eyes pleasure:

Sorry to say this, but your double-bombing times are over.
  7. zenstar

zenstar New Member

He seems fine with no double bombing... he just wants to bomb more often. I can understand this but I think Uber are encouraging a different style of Assault. A style that may require gold skill regen.
  8. NeoCyberman

NeoCyberman Active Member

My problem is that I dont understand the play style uber is aiming for.(yet)

The role I see assault in is heavy target destruction and moneyball damage. I feel kinda hurt with the charge changes.
  9. zenstar

zenstar New Member

I used to play him as a cross between mid/long range bot killer and general pro annoyance. I used to get top bot kills and very good assist numbers because i focused on bots and held pros engaged long enough for help to arrive in the lane.

Now I'm not too sure how to play him... I can still drop bots quickly but pros now rumble me quickly and I can't escape. I'll try a few new styles and hopefully I'll figure it out, but like I say: I think he's a "skill pro" now.
  10. eternal

eternal New Member

Actually I thought I was fairly straight forward in my post. And I have no trouble hitting my targets, even over walls and in spots I can't see. My point is the same one that was in my original post. Because the bombs fly slowly the cooldown time was significantly increased in a way that is more difficult to quantify than a straight flat number change. There is the already existent 10% nerf to level 3 bomb because of the fact you cannot detonate the bomb until it has its 1second arm timer pass. (And level 3 bomb received ZERO reduction in cooldown, so adding these other factors into play the end result is a fairly hefty increase to the bomb recharge time.)

Even running gold skill regen wont affect the time that the bomb is in the air and not charging your bomb skill. Thus, using bombs at any range beyond point blank ends up being an increase to the recharge time by a fairly noticeable amount.

If uber is very adamant on not allowing the use of bombs as both offensive tools and traps in the same fight then there needs to be a fix to this issue with how the bombs interact with being thrown. The reason for an increased speed is that they would reach their destinations faster and thus spend less time as a dead skill. This is a less than ideal fix however.

I'm trying to point out that the fact you can no longer double bomb (which is apparently many peoples main reason that they feel the assault SHOULDN'T be able to recharge his bomb while it is deployed.) is not the only aspect of the skill that is affected by removal of the ability to charge while deployed. It affects it directly offensive capabilities in a major way as well.

Could you imagine how annoyed Supports would be if their air strike skill stopped regening until the explosion occured? That would be like 3-4seconds of additional time on their cooldowns. Over the length of a match this kind of thing majorly adds up.
  11. Shurryy

Shurryy New Member

I imagine the reason they don't want to increase the cooldown reduction for the bomb skill is to prevent jumppad camping and such... I'm not implying any of you are doing it, I am just saying it's a rather common thing to do when your team has the advantage and before the patch that could be pretty unbearable having a bomb just outside your ring at all times that you could do nothing about but sacrifice yourself to get rid off, unless you wanted to take the long way in the back of your base and use the stairs out. It's always an option, but to defend the moneyball you would want the fastest way out. It was sort of a spawncamping thing, which I feel is fair that they try to get rid of.

That might have been confusing. Point is:

Some Assaults dominating the map and carrying their team have a knack for camping the moneyball ring, err... "Had" a knack for camping the moneyball ring. Some still do, but now there's no constant bomb hazard waiting at the end of that exit and you actually have a chance to fight back and he has less chances to flee, hence running around alone is more risky for an assault than before, which will encourage teamplay and a more varied playstyle for the assault since you need to take considerations before you leap into combat, since you know you can no longer leap as quickly out unless you bombjump... Which is risky but effective in tense situations.
  12. zenstar

zenstar New Member

Make bombs destructable.
    Give it a tiny amount of life and let people shoot them.
    Then let the assault throw them around a little more often (still don't need double bombing ofc). That way spawn camping is not possible (you'd catch someone once and then they'd be looking out for it) and traps need to be smart and not just dumped in the middle of a doorway and the assault can still use them offensively and defensively.

You're never going to get rid of the jumpad camping problem without removing either the bomb or the jumpad, or by having some sort of "safety field" around the landing zone that eats bombs harmlessly.

EDIT: btw: I can't take credit for this idea either... it was mentioned on another thread somewhere. I just read a bunch of stuff and vaguely collate things :ugeek:
    Last edited: March 31, 2011
  13. Shurryy

Shurryy New Member

Making the bomb destructable?!
    Sounds good, but if you can shoot a bomb to blow up then you should be able to blow up ice traps as well just to make it fair considering they are sort of similar... Except that one is triggered by stepping on it and freezes its opponents, and the other is triggered with a detonator (probably?).
  14. killien

killien Active Member

Do you mean destructible by anything(explosions, bullets, etc) or just explosions?
    If you mean destructible by explosions, you can already do that to ice traps
  15. d-roy

d-roy Active Member

You just lost a whole star, man

And while they're at it, the sniper should be able to trigger his own traps by walking over them, and the assault should take double the damage from his bombs.

16. DragonAsh

DragonAsh New Member

you can already explode ice traps.
  17. DeadStretch

DeadStretch Post Master General

Read what Zenstar said to better understand what Shurry said.
  18. sinequanon

sinequanon New Member

i'm going to take this one step further. make sure the bombs have the same mechanism that traps do. blowing them up activates the trap. in the same manner shooting a bomb will make it explode with it's normal damage potential.
  19. DeadStretch

DeadStretch Post Master General

I can already see it now...Bombs being shot down in mid-air.
  20. sinequanon

sinequanon New Member

on the off-chance anyone here played tribes, we used to call this mine-discing.