Lets make some rivers!

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by xanoxis, January 27, 2015.

1. xanoxis

xanoxis Active Member

And Im not talking about Doctor's Who wife :)

We could have a use for a T2 Naval Unit that have one purpose - drill land in front of it, or just annihilate it. What that use would be? Increasing naval importance on map. Many people say that water generation is often not enough for naval to have any meaning in given match.

How would that work? I mean mostly on engine side. We already can terraform terrain in some form, it is in engine. And I mean smashing, it creates big crater. As far as I know, its matter of putting new decal on the planet (its probably more complicated :p ).

We can use that to create new rivers with that boat. It would be easy to kill, so you have to protect it. Naval and some air dominance is needed to have use for it, or at least in some area.

Other idea is to have T2 boat that can go on land. Yes, just like Cybrian T2 boat in SupCom. It serves almost the same purpose, except it does not reduce land on which you can build.

I dont know if there is place for both, unless one or another is accordingly cheaper.
    tunsel11 likes this.
  2. pieman2906

pieman2906 Well-Known Member

When ravines cross over into water, they get flooded, you could probably build a custom map and embiggen some ravines to make them into viable rivers, I'm not so sure terraforming units are a good idea for the most part, and creating water would be super difficult to do in game without a massive rework.
  3. Poddighe

Poddighe Member

I'd really love to see some new terrain features, maps seems so lifeless right now.
    warrenkc, theseeker2 and Zaphys like this.
  4. xanoxis

xanoxis Active Member

As far as I saw water just exist under specific deep level. So if that boat just lowers it, it should not be so dificult for engine. I think at least. If smashing creates crater near water, crater fills up. So it already IS in game.
  5. pieman2906

pieman2906 Well-Known Member

Deforming the terrain is actually quite difficult to do. Have you noticed how units die if they try to walk into the crater of a smash site? that's because the 'land' that used to be there is actually still kinda there, just made invisible with a graphical change applied to it.

When all the system editing tools were being added, one of the biggest things everyone wanted was a way to manually raise or lower the land level to create custom planets, but it's one thing that up to now has proven too difficult to do. That's why all the custom maps have to get by with CSG shennanigans after getting the closest seed they can find to what they want.
  6. xanoxis

xanoxis Active Member

Well, anyway, its up to Uber to make it work. Even if it takes some time, Its worth to have some terraforming units in game. That can make some crazy plays.
  7. theseeker2

theseeker2 Well-Known Member

It's a good idea, but one of a few things would happen:
    1. it'd be op (people would use it to dig moats & unlimited naval mobility is bad because naval units are mass-for-mass more powerful than anything else)
    2. it'd be impossible, considering that as of now, the game cannot redraw pathfinding flowfield after an asteroid strikes the planet... it's unlikely Uber'd be able to make terraforming units.
  8. theseeker2

theseeker2 Well-Known Member

I would, however, be in favor of a ship-walker, at tier 2 but mass-for-mass weaker than any tier 1 or 2 ship, with mobility being its strength
    xanoxis likes this.
  9. xanoxis

xanoxis Active Member

Yeah, the "Walker" is an easier thing to do, but also very cool and useful.

I think terraforming should be not that cheap, and be doable on land and sea, both ways. I hope this will be something Uber will do in the future, because its just a cool concept that can add up to the game alot.