Lessons learned from TA and SupCom

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by coldboot, September 1, 2012.

1. lirpakkaa

lirpakkaa New Member

Yeah. RTS games have complex battles and it is awesome. Don't like that, play chess or something... Oh but it has tactics too.
  2. doud

doud Well-Known Member

3. ooshr32

ooshr32 Active Member

What have 'complex battles' got to do with manually kiting a single group of units? That sounds like a simplification to me.
  4. lirpakkaa

lirpakkaa New Member

Well, what use are complex mechanics if they're always managed by just the unit AI? If you don't want any micro your best bet is a really simple game, otherwise all the low-end stuff is just obfuscation when you control none of it.
  5. ooshr32

ooshr32 Active Member

The complexity should come in the broad range of strategic choices, play and counter-play, on a galactic stage.

Hovering over units, pulling their strings and making them dance like marionettes, that's the sort of tedium I'd happily farm out to the unit AI.
  6. PKC

PKC New Member

players that enjoy microing their troops look forward to beating your unit AI.
  7. shinseitom

shinseitom Member

Players that enjoy microing aren't looking forward to PA. It's just not going to be that kind of game.

Also, players that enjoy macro look forward to crushing you in 5 different areas of different planets while you try to juggle microing all of those engagements.
  8. itspayne

itspayne New Member

Oooh SupCom, I love u so mutch!!! The scale, the presentation, the details, the tactics, the feeling, the zoom.... A shame the good times with you are gone so fast... The footsteps you left are big. Hopefully your new born relative can fill just some of em...
  9. shinseitom

shinseitom Member

To my chagrin I didn't know any SupCom key works in Steam, and unlocks both it and Forged Alliance. Just found out yesterday. Time to reinstall!

And I'm pretty sure PA will be awesome. We definitely kicked it up a notch with our pledges :D
  10. thygrrr

thygrrr Member

11. eukanuba

eukanuba Well-Known Member

What Thygrrr said! :)
  12. shinseitom

shinseitom Member

I will do that then! Whenever I get around to finally finishing the download. Dang slow internet :(
  13. shollosx

shollosx Member

I do not think you can speak for everyone on this.
    I love both microing and macroing and making the right choices at the right moments.
  14. dsraider6

dsraider6 New Member

From SupcomII:

Projectile dodging, especially Mobile Arty, is retarded. Way to much micro involved for this type of game. Keep projectile speeds high please.

The factory upgrades were awesome. They allowed players to quickly grab and hold land. All you had to do was plop a factory next to a mex and you could quickly get shields and other things up. This really encouraged multiple fronts and bases. I would love to see something similar. If not shields then repair pods or weapons or something. The key is to make it easy for players to hold and develop mexes far from their main base.

Mini Experimentals showed that big units didn't need to be super late game. No reason not to have early game larger units.
  15. itspayne

itspayne New Member

I disagree.. To get some eary exp up so easyly reduced that type to a joke. Nothing special about it, just annoying.
  16. neophyt3

neophyt3 Member

I really hate this. Lost count of how many times that screwed up my games. Personally, I found TA's default controls the best, far less prone to accidents.
  17. shollosx

shollosx Member

Agreed.
  18. Spooky

Spooky Member

Disagreed :Þ

Left Click: select something or issue manual commands
    Right Click: issue context dependent commands

I find that far more useful than TA's system, where Right Click is only utilized for either nothing, deselecting or minimap panning.
    Last edited: September 15, 2012
  19. eukanuba

eukanuba Well-Known Member

TA's choice of left/right click was basically C&C/Warcraft. Being a Dune 2/C&C sort of person I used the default left click mode, and it was only when Supcom forced me to use the right-click method that I realised it was a better method. Arguably it's a bit like invert mouse in that you naturally like it one way or the other and no amount of practise will make the other way work. So make it toggleable, like in TA! :)
  20. PKC

PKC New Member

lol, you're an idiot. plenty of players that enjoy micro are looking forward to PA. unless you're alleging PA won't have any tactical depth?

players that only like macro will be smashed by players that enjoy both. noob.