Leap Motion

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by tatsujb, July 24, 2013.

1. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

Alright this feels weird to me as I posted most of what I meant to say in other threads, but here it is, A Leap Motion thread. Trying to use this device for an FPS just makes you look like a straight up ***. But trying to use this device for an RTS, and not the smallest of them all, makes you look like a strategical maestro.

I've tried it with a software called "Touchless" meant for the desktop, but obviously this does not compare with an app that has been modified to recognize the Leap and has adapted gestures to give a fluid (and tutorial-less) interface, such as Google earth.

I've also made a thread asking for Modder support: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=49848

Discuss the leap motion and PA together. Neutrino said fine to Oculus Rift support but not before game is released. I think Oculus rift is expensive and brings on extra costs (graphic card upgrade as it requires same or better performance than 3D-ing games) and also cannot be used long term because of the dizziness and headaches it can cause and also it has nothing to bring to an RTS in particular, it makes more sense in a first-person-view game, whereas the leap motion makes little to no sense in a first-person-view game but make buttloads of sense applied to an RTS.

You go here!
    You build this!
    All of you attack this!

Tell them with majestic sweeps. Point with your finger. Hold the planet you're on in your hand to rotate it and suddenly clench your fist to trigger a meteor strike.

Now before you go on a riot saying it'll never surpass the mouse, that's not true, of course I can't show you what all of this would look like but that's what I'm asking for.
    A decent interface. One needs to be able to activate several modifier keys and hotkeys, use the scroll wheel and all of the things mouse and keyboard allow.
    For that to be possible code needs to be added to PA.
    Last edited: September 8, 2013
  2. dbiton

dbiton Member

that looks awfully complicated, im sure that dummies like me will have dissadventages if super pros will start to use it
  3. jbeetle

jbeetle Well-Known Member

I feel like the devs will respond in the same way they did with Oculus.
  4. tatsujb

5. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

Maybe someday but we don't have manpower for stuff like this at the moment.
  6. tatsujb

ok I understand. I'll just work on a mod then.
  7. mothersmeatloaf

mothersmeatloaf New Member

I also have a Leap and think it be a great way to add some unique controls to the game.
    Love if someone could mod this!
  8. kalherine

kalherine Active Member

Indeed wy no 1 has remenber this yet to PA .
    Iff we had this i will never worry about the confusion scale and zoom prespective.
    plz lets try make a mod off this...