Lead Writer here. Have lore questions? I have answers! Maybe...

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by mkhusker, June 20, 2014.

1. mkhusker

mkhusker Member

Hey all! My name is Matt Kehm, Lead Writer for Planetary Annihilation. I am here to answer questions you may have about the lore in the game. Fire away!
  2. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

Where's your Uber Team badge? 0.o
  3. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

I too am curious about this.
  4. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

:( us forum goers are going to seem so unwelcoming, but it's only fair we protect ourselves from being trolled (a fairly big occurrence here on the net).
  5. tehtrekd

Also, as an actual question, are the progenitors an actual specie or are they just a bunch of humans that disassociated themselves from the humans we know and formed the coalition? Or is the coalition just the name of their government?
  6. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

I feel he should probably have a dark blue badge like @LennardF1989 since I don't think he's a full-time employee :)
    stuart98 likes this.
  7. BradNicholson

BradNicholson Uber Employee Uber Alumni

That is indeed Matt, the writer of Planetary Annihilation.
  8. tohron

tohron Active Member

I guess the main question I have is, what happened to leave all the commanders in hibernation? The story details on the planets mentioned the Progenitors starting some kind of secret project once it became clear they were going to lose, but I couldn't find any details about what it was.

My own speculation was that it was some kind of super-EMP weapon that destroyed any exposed electronics and left the buried commanders with badly damaged processors, but that's just speculation.
  9. mkhusker

mkhusker Member

When Commander Tryphon formed the Machine Liberation Army and began the revolution against the Coalition, he began referring to humanity as the Progenitors. He saw first hand in the Mawson Revolt the mistrust many humans held towards the very machines that had saved them during the Century War. That is where his hatred began. He felt that it was inevitable, from what he witnessed in Mawson, that humanity would eventually turn on their own creations and attempt to destroy them.

Hope that answers your question.
  10. mkhusker

mkhusker Member

TDZ, or Time Designation Zero, is what the Commanders of present time refer to when they speak about their awakening. Something had to make them go dormant for so long. Something had to damage their internal memory, causing them to "not remember" what happened. You are on the right path with your thinking on the Progenitors and their desperation in the final tears of the Pro-Com War.

As to what exactly happened? More on that to come......;)
    SolitaryCheese likes this.
  11. tehtrekd

Another question I have is, what exactly do the Revenants expect to do, should they ever find the progenitors?

In the lore reveal it mentions that Osiris sees the progenitors (and all biologics) as perfect and that he wants to become perfect, but what does that entail? Do they want to go all singularity with the progenitors and combine biological minds with mechanical bodies?
  12. mkhusker

mkhusker Member

Osiris, like the other Commanders of present, has memories that are incomplete and corrupted. It is searching for "true" perfection and believes that the Progenitors may hold the answers it is looking for. Keep in mind, none of the Commanders at present know exactly who or what the Progenitors are....they just know that they are something that threatens them.
  13. wondible

wondible Post Master General

GW stuff has some information, but it doesn't say exactly what it was. I should say spoiler alert, but that's this whole thread.... ;^)

14. Dementiurge

Dementiurge Post Master General

Even during the final war with the MLA, there were loyalist commanders. What happened to them?

Also, if Commanders are so dangerous, why do they pop so easily to inferno rushes? :D The Progenitor Coalition could've learned a thing or two...
  15. mkhusker

mkhusker Member

That is a good question! What did happen to the Loyalist Commanders? That is a question that will be answered as more of the lore is revealed.

Everything that is out there now as far as lore is just the tip of the iceberg. There is a great deal of stories to be told about how the galaxy arrived at its current state. Stay tuned!
  16. optimi

optimi Well-Known Member

How do you plan to reveal this lore? In game? Web stories?
    Loving the lore so far by the way. Looking forward to more.
  17. mkhusker

mkhusker Member

Glad that you like it! As far as how more of the lore will be revealed in the future? There are things I know and things I don't know. I think you are on the right track, but I cannot say for sure exactly how it will be released. ;)
    SolitaryCheese and optimi like this.
  18. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

what are all the commander names? https://forums.uberent.com/threads/high-res-images-of-all-16-commanders.59770/
    https://forums.uberent.com/threads/...te-and-2-more-hiding-in-the-game-files.60543/

what factions do they each belong to? it seems that if it has 4 legs, it's a Revenant, if it has treads it's Synhronous, if it has raptor legs it's Foundation and if it has human legs it's Legionis Machina. is that true?

what do the faction logos of Reveneat and Syncronous look like? are these accurate? do you have higher res?
    [​IMG]

what are the differences between the factions and why do they fight each other? which tensions/conflicts are the biggest?
    Last edited: June 20, 2014
    PeggleFrank likes this.
  19. Engineer1234

Engineer1234 Well-Known Member

Oh dear so many questions.
    - Scifi question #1
    [​IMG]
    I guess the commanders just don't know, but with the proper star charts stellar drift could tell you.

- Also what did NEST do exactly ? was it meant to terminate commanders ? or wipe their minds for repurposing ?

- Do you mind if I mentally smoosh PA and TA and Supcom into the same lore universe but just in different timeperiods ? I really want them to be honestly, in my mind I can make them fit :D
    If intellectual property was not an issue, what would you choose ?
    Geers, PeggleFrank and eroticburrito like this.
  20. mkhusker

mkhusker Member

Timeline wise, it has been left ambiguous on purpose. There might be more on that to come!

As far as mashing together TA, Sup Com, and PA and making them take place in the same universe, just at different times? Sounds rather messy. My head hurts thinking about it. Seriously though, I would prefer to stay in the PA Universe....there are lots of stories yet to be told.....