Launcher won't remember my password

Discussion in 'Support!' started by proudlikeagod, August 18, 2015.

1. proudlikeagod

proudlikeagod New Member

Fairly self-explanatory bug I'm experiencing, and this seems the place to post about it:

I've just downloaded & installed a fresh copy of UberLauncher, and it won't remember my password.
    I don't believe I've had it or PA installed on this instance of Windows7 before.
    I did only recently today Verify my account's email address via the uber website. Otherwise, I believe I've just a regular kickstarter account.

Also I can't find anywhere that I might actually change my password, rather than just try recover it, which I don't need.
  2. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Not a bug, a missing feature. In ancient days there was a save password function but ... well it wasnt very secure.
    The only way to remember password is via steam sadly.
  3. proudlikeagod

proudlikeagod New Member

Can't I decide if I trust my OS to keep files under my %appdata% private from other users?! And what problem does Windows have with that? I'm sure Linux doesn't either with controlling people's ~home files access.

Of course trying to encrypt a password with a key that's also stored in the same place, or hardcoded in the app, isn't any more secure. But it's no less either. That's why Chrome and Firefox store passwords in plaintext, because it's useful and works securely, it just doesn't add an extra layer of security, or fake & claim to.

Sounds like they conflating issues of security and usability. Why's the UI still there if it does nothing but generate bug reports??
    Just save the bloody string to a file and save me from having to type it every time, or open+ copy+paste from my own plaintext 'implementation'.
  4. cola_colin

Why bug reports? It is a login mask for me. So you login and use it?
    They had the plaintext implementation in early alpha and removed it after people pointed at the glaring security issues.
  5. wondible

wondible Post Master General

The launcher has a remember option now, but it forgets about half the time.
  6. cola_colin

oh lol. I didn't even notice.

Since when????

Probably just happend with the new launcher that got released a few hours ago that I only used exactly once so far.