Launcher Crashes during download

Discussion in 'Support!' started by dcyuri7, August 21, 2014.

1. dcyuri7

dcyuri7 New Member

The launcher keeps crashing during the initial (first-time) download of packages. Stuck on package 140 of 145.

Here's video footage of it happening:

Each time it crashes, the MB's downloaded increases by about 10-15mb in progress from previous occurrence. Each time I restart it starts out from 435mb and goes until it crashes again.

Just letting you know, there is a problem with your launcher. Wish you the best of luck figuring out what is causing the crash. I doubt I'm the only one to experience this problem.

Also, game is NOT Playable.

After more testing it appears to occur during the Decompression stage of the package ALSO. So likely some kind of corruption problem with the packages.
    I've also tried running as Administrator.
    I've also tried deleting the current launcher executeable, cancelling the automatic download of the new one which I deleted, and the same exact problem occurs.

Additional info:
    No anti-virus running, installed on non-primary SATA hard drive, not using Steam. Standard Windows 8 64bit PC.

See Also: threads/consistent-crash-during-pre-installation.62770/ (it's in forum, since apparently you don't allow links in forum posts)
    Last edited: August 21, 2014
  2. dcyuri7

dcyuri7 New Member

Looks like the downloaded files are stored in [gamedir]/cache folder, and they are .BUNDLE files , which appear to just be a simple compressed archive. The names are all obfuscated for the manifest. So it's going to be really hard to determine what is what. Luckily I found where you put the manifest:
    [gamedir]/Planetary Annihilation/PA_Windows_70289.gz , and it's a simple JSON file inside there. So that tells me you use GZ for compression on the other archives.

Going to go ahead and manually decompress the files myself. I will let you know of the results. Probably going to encounter more problems.
  3. kjotak109

kjotak109 Well-Known Member

Hello,

I haven't had any problems with the launcher since I first used it. Do you have the latest DirectX, Visual C++, and .NET Framework installed? Links are at the bottom of my post if you need them.

Also, please post your Dxdiag so I can take a look at your system specs.

DirectX (June 2010) redistributable:
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109

Latest Visual C++ package (2012):
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30679

Latest .NET Framework (4.5):
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30653
  4. dcyuri7

dcyuri7 New Member

Thanks for the assistance!
    All drivers are up to date.
    Attached to this post the required files.

The UberLauncherLog is the result after completely uninstalling (and deleting all UberLauncher & Game files -- aka clean) and reinstalling the launcher. I ran the launcher, clicked [Play], it began the download, and crashed. At which point I made this reply with the log file. Doesn't appear to denote anything of importance, per my eyes.

Attached Files:

5. kjotak109

Actually, your graphics drivers could use an update:

Code:
    Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670
    Driver Version: 9.18.13.3788
    Driver Date/Size: 5/19/2014 21:44:03, 17480432 bytes

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670
    Driver Version: 9.18.13.3788
    Driver Date/Size: 5/19/2014 21:44:03, 17480432 bytes
    In this link you will find the latest drivers for your video card(s):
    http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/77224/en-us

Just FYI, PA does not support SLI at this moment, so you may want to use only one video card.

Also, you have two monitors running, and your primary monitor is not running in its native resolution:

Code:
    Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor
    Monitor Model: E321VT
    Current Mode: 1360 x 768 (32 bit) (60Hz)
    Native Mode: 1920 x 1080(p) (60.000Hz)

Monitor Name: Dell E771p
    Monitor Model: DELL  E771p
    Current Mode: 1024 x 768 (32 bit) (75Hz)
    Native Mode: 1024 x 768(p) (75.029Hz)
    You may want to disable your second monitor and reset your primary monitor to its native resolution as PA does not support multiple monitors at this time.

Also, I checked your UberLauncherLog file, but there is no line stating that the launcher crashed after a certain point. But I do see multiple instances of this:

Code:
    INFO Checksum failed for *FILENAME HERE*
  6. dcyuri7

dcyuri7 New Member

Even though I do not believe a month old graphics driver can cause a Launcher application to fail during a file update, I will go ahead and update my graphics driver as required.
    I don't have two gfx cards btw, unless you are considering the one that comes built into the CPU, that my mobo doesn't support(no onboard port), so that should be ok.

I will disable my secondary monitor, which runs on VGA->DVI. And then I will change my resolution to the native size of the monitor (which is a TV), which will cause the text to be unreadable since it's a tv running via HDMI, which will reset all my desktop icon positions, which I will have to fix later. Again, don't see why this would cause a file update process to fail, but I will comply regardless.

And I agree, I saw all the checksum failures as well. I figured those were normal, when the files don't yet exist, and are about to be downloaded, as they are checksums attained from the Manifest that was downloaded initially to determine the files that my system is supposed to have to play the game.

After I have done as requested, I will cleanup, reinstall, and retry the process, and let you know how it goes.
  7. dcyuri7

dcyuri7 New Member

Ok I've tried again from the start, as specified, and the same thing occurred. It lasted longer during the install, but refused to decompress again. I've attached the dxdiag here to prove I've done as required.

Really not sure what to do, I mean, everything should be uptodate now. Latest dx, latest gfx, latest .net (2 - 4.5)... This doesn't make any sense. The other thread shows a few other people with same problem, but no one posted a resolution, just that one of them kept trying and eventually it worked?

Attached Files:

8. kjotak109

I'm running out of ideas as well. The launcher worked perfectly fine for me the first time and it never had any errors with downloading or decompressing files.

Did you update your Visual C++ stuff yet? The launcher needs Visual C++ 2012 in order to run properly.

What is the make, model, and energy capacity (watts) of your power supply?
  9. dcyuri7

dcyuri7 New Member

Ok I reinstalled it on my Primary C: drive where windows is installed. And it worked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Unbelievable lol. I don't know what the problem is, but it won't run properly on my secondary Sata drive... which is where I normally install games. Maybe a windows permission thing? I remember something like that happening before where a program I was using didn't have write access, even in Administrator mode. Thank you so much for the help, hopefully didn't waste too much of your time.
    kjotak109 likes this.
  10. kjotak109

You're welcome. Now you can enjoy smashing planets...;)
    dcyuri7 likes this.