Lag issue and more

Discussion in 'Support!' started by killzone5017002, November 26, 2013.

1. killzone5017002

killzone5017002 Active Member

So, ive been playing PA since early alpha and most of the time my PC would run the game at an OKAY level. Ever since beta came out it was more laggy for some reason. It seems the optimization is fantastic but the networking is absolutely terrible. This caused me to stop playing for some time. I figured why not use this thread haha. Please no one tell me "Its beta so your gonna have problems!!!" I am fully aware of that but what is the point of me having beta when I cant even play it? I don't think my internet itself in the issue because I do have high speed internet and it works with all kinds of other online games flawlessly. What gives me an idea to it being a networking problem is because the client itself has a very stable, nice frame rate, but online games are 10-15 if I am lucky. Another issue I found in beta is that metal is STILL not fixed. I expected it to be fixed quite some time ago. There is still a load of invalid metal spots (in this case sine it is beta I think it is fine but there was no improvement on it what so ever). So overall the metal is way to sparse, even though I do agree in alpha it was way to much. Anyways, those are just my thoughts, do not get me wrong here, I love PA and it is awesome.

***PLEASE READ***
    No one needs to tell me I need to update my drivers because I do that every week when I can. The new PA update said to update my drivers that day so I did. The lag issue is here still. It is networking not my computer itself.
  2. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Networking can't affect in-game FPS.
  3. killzone5017002

It freezes up and animations keep going, such things like that
  4. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Then it's totally different issue. E.g if you still can control camera but units are frozen it's networking.

You can check FPS using Ctrl+P and you'll see it's not affected by network lag.
  5. killzone5017002

exactly my issue. I can move my camera around just fine but everything stops. Ill look at framrate tomorrow
  6. SXX

SXX Post Master General

You can as well try to check what server region you have in Settings ("Servers" tab) and try to change it. :)
  7. vackillers

vackillers Well-Known Member

networking can absolutely affect FPS, if there is an issue where he is getting internet lag, even while playing against AI can affect this because we're all having to be online only right now, so all those different paramaters are going to effect FPS in games right now from Broadband speed, ping timings, upload speed, server loads ect...

OP, need to post a dxdiag file so we know what your system specs are.
  8. killzone5017002

Sxx, I do have my settings on the correct server. Vackillers is right, and my problem is still here even after the build right now. Here is my Dxdiag, don't jump on my processor being the issue because it isnt, the client itself is great but networking is competely horrible. Thank you guys for the help!!

Attached Files:

9. UberWilliam

UberWilliam Uber Alumni

The amazing thing about the networking code is not how well it works, but that it works at all. I should know, given that I wrote most of it. While juggling dozens of other demands on my time. I got it to a state where it was possible to play games, and then had to move on to other stuff. And it's been working well enough (okay, more like not worse than other stuff) that the final stages of optimization work we have planned keep getting deferred for other higher priority stuff, like getting the graphics wiped into shape, or finishing all the features we have promised.

Anyway, I don't mean to blow off your concerns. On the contrary, I feel your pain. And I feel personally responsible, given that I wrote that part of the code. It will get fixed. Right now we have the bandwidth throttle set at 2mpbs. It is set that high because we don't have all of our planned bandwidth optimizations in yet, and if we turn it down much below that the game gets really choppy really quickly. My goal is to have the throttle around 512kbps but allow higher bursts for high activity periods. And to communicate more useful information in that 512kbps than we are in the 2mbps we are sending now.

Things will get better.

-William
    Lead Programmer, PA
  10. killzone5017002

Thank you William. I am glad this issue will get resolved at some point.