Kickstarter 2.0

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by DeathPhoenix2, October 3, 2015.

?

Would you like to see a Kickstarter 2.0 happen?

1. Yes

55.6%
  2. No

44.4%
  1. DeathPhoenix2

DeathPhoenix2 New Member

Hi PA community,
    for those of you that didn't know, which is probably no one, this game is now a reality because it was funded via Kickstarter ;)

I was extremely suprised to see the Titans extension out there and trilled to see they made it! I strongly believe that the game before that was good, but now, with this Titans addons, it's a complete and polished product!

Now, they are pretty silent about what's really coming next and I definitely enjoyed knowing what was coming when they did that first Kickstarter. Now, I would really uterly like to see a second kickstarter!

This would let us discuss fundamental evolution of Planetary Annihilation so it become one of the most developed RTS of all times!

In that Kickstarter 2.0 I would like to see:
    - Mostly requested features (that the Crowd Funders bring up)
    - Single Player Campaign!
    - Single Player Co-op!
    - Even cooler explosions and lightning effect to follow technologie
    - Integrate/Enhance/Refactor some currently existing mods/ideas in the base game

So basically, keep this game up to date and fresh and use that incredible core system to build a campaign system over it!

I would definitely throw some extra money on that game to get that, anytime!

Thanks Uber for this Wonderful game!
    Last edited: October 3, 2015
    Remy561, tunsel11 and cdrkf like this.
  2. theseeker2

theseeker2 Well-Known Member

Devs already said no, DirectX is Windows only, and this game has to maintain support across Mac OS, Windows, and Linux, that means OpenGL
  3. DeathPhoenix2

DeathPhoenix2 New Member

Oh yeah, your right! :) It's not specific to it, I'm just pointing out that if they open a new Kickstarter, they may have the capacity to improve this game even further!

Thx
    Nicb1 and cdrkf like this.
  4. elwyn

elwyn Member

What we need is a kickstarter to bring back Zaphodx, or brain wash him into casting again!!!
  5. Mirolog

Mirolog Well-Known Member

"These guys released unfinished game, then released a paid patch, and now started one more kickstarter??? omg
    they are soo geedy!!!111 unsubscribe!!!!111"

This will happen.
  6. ljfed

ljfed Active Member

There are some awesome effect mods on pamm you should check out if you don't already know about them!
  7. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

To be honest I would be very surprised if uber attempted another kickstarter after the vitriol they've got for PA, HR and titans :(

Kickstarter is pretty much a no go for big projects now imo, as there is an anti kickstarter 'white night' brigade out to 'protect people' from these 'scams'.... Apparently that includes any successful projects that dare to make a portable game from their kickstarter funded project.

I personally think kickstarter as a platform for large games is now a dead end.
    Bsport, Nicb1 and doud like this.
  8. DeathPhoenix2

DeathPhoenix2 New Member

- Pillars of Eternity
    - Divinity Original Sins
    - Wasteland 2

They were success. I see that, for the moment, all "large games" were success, not the other way around haha :)
  9. cdrkf

How many large (greater than a million target) game kickstarter campaigns are fundraising now? (genuine question as I don't know of any but haven't been actively looking)....

I mean I view PA as a great success, yet haters can't leave it alone. Star citizen should also be a success unless they really get it wrong, but again the attitude towards it is terrible.

That is why I say it's unviable. Many in the gaming community have wildly unreasonable expectations, including no sense of realistic timescales, no idea of what things cost, an expectation for the (subjectively) 'best' elements of every similar game ever made to be included even if never mentioned in the pitch, and of course all future content of any form related to the ip to be free for them for life.

Now to get funded a game maker has to either accept these caveats, or go elsewhere for their funding. Don't get me wrong, I still support projects on kickstarter, as I like to help people have a chance (and I accept I may never get a return on my investment). I just think given how the earlier large kickstarter projects have progressed, a dev studio has to be very brave to go that way now.

Of course this is just my musings on all this, uber May still think the benefits outweigh the drawbacks and launch a new campaign, in which case I'd probably support them again (depending if I like the look of the project itself, no qualms over uber themselves from me).
    elwyn and proeleert like this.
  10. Planktum

Planktum Post Master General

cdrkf likes this.
  11. cdrkf

12. V4NT0M

V4NT0M Well-Known Member

It already did on the Human Resources Kickstarter ;)
    radongog and Nicb1 like this.
  13. DeathPhoenix2

DeathPhoenix2 New Member

[/QUOTE]It already did on the Human Resources Kickstarter ;)[/QUOTE]

Yep it was a new game though :)

[/QUOTE]How many large (greater than a million target) game kickstarter campaigns are fundraising now?[/QUOTE]

28. We have to wait and see if they all are success, but as far as I know, they all are :)

The success may be explained because of this:
    They have a community of players, ready to pay for that game, that will depict features and flaws of the current concept. You directly have at least 20 times more brains looking into features ideas and concepts. You also have an Alpha and Beta testing pool for free and without searching too much, which otherwise has a cost.
  14. Mirolog

Without "paid patch" part.
  15. jeffwadsworth

jeffwadsworth Member

You will never see another KS from Uber. And I don't blame them. Why deal with all the kiddies?
    Alpha2546, Nicb1, doud and 1 other person like this.
  16. Remy561

Remy561 Post Master General

I'd love to see it and totally back it as a fan, but imagine the internets reaction... Have you even seen the steam forums for Titans when it launched? :p

No a new kickstarter would only bring more hate to Uber. I think expansions like Titans or DLC is the way to go now. Yes this will also spread new hate, but the effect would be less big than a new kickstarter.

A new kickstarter would however be awesome for PA2 if they can improve the game on all fronts hugely ;)
  17. Nicb1

Nicb1 Post Master General

Yeah personally think Kickstarter isn't going to be an option again largely due to this. Kickstarter projects appear to be subject to a heck of a lot more hate than standard funded games today. You've also got the problem where people kickstart the game then act as if they are investors and thus own a portion of the company/project.
    Bsport and cdrkf like this.
  18. radongog

radongog Well-Known Member

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/playtonic/yooka-laylee-a-3d-platformer-rare-vival
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/the-bards-tale-iv/description
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/larianstudios/divinity-original-sin-2/description

Just the recent past, and of course BattleTech, but that one was already mentioned!

Anyways, I wouldn´t suggest a KS for enhancing PA right now...
    ...we doesn´t even have enough reviews of Titans yet for the game to get a Metascore. Yes, less then four rated reviews. The big, international sites should ALL review Titans before even considering the option of a PA enhancment Kickstarter!
    Anyways, even if situation was better I´d rather suggest a second try for HumanResources and a PA Enhancement Kickstarter maybe a few years later. It seems like Uber is currently able to handle PA without additional funding, but they are not able to push out another big PC-RTS just on their own budget...
  19. Mirolog

And why Kickstarter?

Kickstarter for released game, that has paid expansion, paid custom commanders, and it's not a f2p game.
    Of course money is needed to continue development, but why develop a game that can't support itself?
    And I think that PA is not that game.

But I will pay for something game-changing. Like big planets, craters, not flat systems, multiple stars.
  20. cdrkf

Personally I'd back a plan to add a scripted single player campaign to PA. I think that would really bring the game to life for many people...
    DeathPhoenix2 likes this.