Keyboards!

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by nofear1299, February 25, 2014.

1. nofear1299

nofear1299 Active Member

So, I've somehow conned my girlfriend into buying me a keyboard (and price isn't an issue)

My issue is I can't decide which one. I've been looking around and I still can't decide which to get.

There's one that scratched all my geeky bits - the MadCats Strike 7.

It is very pretty and exciting but I do not see it doing so well in lists.

So, you guys tell me which you think will be the best.
    One requirement - it has to be backlit.
  2. poiuasd

poiuasd Well-Known Member

Microsoft Sidewinder X4 is a good lit dome board. Then there are manufacturers like Ducky that makes decent mechanical boards with LEDs all over the place.
  3. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

Forget the gimmicks and get the blackwidow, well unless you like the gimmicks.
  4. poiuasd

Sure if you wanna pay more for worse quality, go for a Razer board.
  5. JammySTB

JammySTB Well-Known Member

The Blackwidow is a decent enough board, but not worth full price imo. Far better than anything made by Mad Catz at least.
  6. kvalheim

kvalheim Post Master General

I don't see the need in big fancy keyboards tbh, I'm perfectly find with this simple black dell thing I stole from my dad. It fits the style of everything on my desk
    Quitch likes this.
  7. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

What, stolen?
  8. jbeetle

jbeetle Well-Known Member

Ask @thebigpill, and he'll tell you to use a typewriter :D
    JammySTB likes this.
  9. kvalheim

Well, he got it from his work company then I took it when I got my desktop xD
  10. thebigpill

thebigpill Well-Known Member

Took awhile before I got it :p Edit: I'm actually not even using my WMO anymore because I managed to break it while trying to strip the cable. Many manly tears were shed.

@sylvesterink always tells me Filco keyboards are bestest keyboards. Get some mechanical kb, never mind the gimmicks, they're just marketing.
    Last edited: February 25, 2014
  11. JammySTB

QFT

[​IMG]
  12. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

13. JammySTB

I don't need a shitty numpad taking up my mouse space.
    Quitch likes this.
  14. sylvesterink

sylvesterink Active Member

Yep. I own two Filco Majestouch Ninja 2's, one for work (cherry blue keyswitches), one for home (cherry brown keyswitches). Great build quality, very reliable, and durable. The thing is, I don't think they make backlit keyboards. But then, what kind of chump needs backlighting? Use the F/J key nubs to get your hands on the home-row and start typing.

But if you really are WEAK and INFERIOR, and need that backlighting, the Ducky keyboards are very well loved, and are about on par with the Filcos. I also own a Deck Legend, which is a monster, with excellent build quality, even better than the Filcos. (And it comes with backlighting.) The only reason I prefer the Filcos is that the keys are more standard in size and shape. However, Deck just came out with a couple new keyboard models, the Hassium and Francium series, which are more standardized and a bit smaller than the Legend. I don't know much about these, but if they are anywhere near the quality of the legend, you should be well off.

Oh, and a shout-out to the Unicomp keyboards, which are also amazing. (No backlighting there though.)
  15. thebigpill

thebigpill Well-Known Member

So my birthday is coming up and that means I'll have enough spare cash to buy a mech kb. The problem is though that it's rather hard to find anything but the razer blackwidow in the Netherlands. I'm rather sceptical when it comes to any razer product, so has anybody used it and if so, how was it? Is the quality less than other brands? Experienced any problems with it? etc etc
  16. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

I can recommend Ducky keyboards.

Also, these ones are really sexy. None of the pretentious I'm a gamer so I'll pay for gamer hardware vibe that comes from basically every these days.
  17. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

• Full Mechanical Keys for Superior Tactility and Faster Response
    • 10 key roll-over in gaming mode
    • Razer Synapse 2.0
    Razer didn't listen to you!

Frankly, I'd get a keyboard that is easy to clean. They get sticky and when that happens they turn to ****. If it's not easy to clean then buy cheap and you can just pick up another. I haven't seen a reason to get anything other than some bottom end Logitech keyboard.
  18. mkrater

mkrater Uber Alumni

Hey Quitch, how do you clean your keyboards? I saw someone using a Tide To Go pen to clean the keys without taking it all apart and thought that looked pretty easy. Doesn't get crumbs out, but it sure did remove the gunk and made it all pretty again!
  19. poiuasd

Or you could wash your hands to get rid of the need to ever clean it under the keys.
  20. kvalheim

Yeah, I -really- don't like the aesthetics of a lot of "gaming" boards. I'm happy with a big black rectangle.

IMG_20140301_203025.jpg
    arseface and BulletMagnet like this.