Juice rushing in overtime seriously ruins this game :/

Discussion in 'Monday Night Combat 360 Feedback and Issues' started by Diablohead, October 28, 2010.

1. Diablohead

Diablohead New Member

I've said it before in other threads but seriously it is not fun to be leading by taking down their moneyball health by about half in normal play to only get rushed within 10 seconds of overtime for a lose, it completely ruins the point of the first 15 minutes :/ just had it happen to me multiple times in a row, how did this past testing?

I love monday night combat but this is something which makes me turn it off in disgust, right now I think yet again i'll have to just wait and hope the next update fixes these problems :/

And before someone decides to post something along the lines of "well defend then" sometimes if not nearly every time it's just too tricky to stop 2 or so juiced players from causing a huge mess, juicing is just far too powerful especially on the moneyball, which imo should only take damage from the bots with pro damage being extremely low, no where near what it does now.
  2. rudigarmc

rudigarmc New Member

Get better, communicate, and get better. Win before the overtime juice rush. Get a juice rush before overtime or use this strategy for yourself.
  3. Diablohead

Diablohead New Member

If that's how we are suppose to play then we might as well start every game in overtime mode, I can't see how you can defend such a flaw when it comes to overtime and juicing becoming the go-to cheap manoeuvre. So much for this game being flagged as team fortress and DOTA, it's more like instagib quake.
  4. rudigarmc

rudigarmc New Member

:roll: I am so tired of this. They aren't changing the game, change the way you play.
  5. ShockerGeneral

ShockerGeneral New Member

Agreed - OT and juice blow....game is so much fun up until that kicks in
  6. zarakon

zarakon Active Member

This is a really pointless attempt at an argument, and I'm tired of seeing it.

Overtime happens when the teams are evenly matched. If you get better, all that changes is which teams you're evenly matched against. Unless you're some kind of MNC God that always makes your team the best in the world, you will have evenly matched games that go to overtime.

So, now that we're clear that within reasonable limits (not God, and not losing intentionally) you will end up in overtime games regardless of how well you play/communicate/whatever, the point is that overtime sucks. All of the fundamental concepts of the game get thrown out and everything boils down to juicing the moneyball. Sure there's some strategy in blocking the juice machines or knowing how to deal with juiced players by ringout or grappling, but the point is that it all focuses on juice. Bots don't matter anymore; turrets don't matter anymore; lane control doesn't matter anymore; it's all reduced to one aspect.

A better alternative:
    - Extend regulation time to 30 minutes. At the end of regulation time, the game is over, whoever has the most health left on the moneyball wins. In case of a tie there, the most cash earned. Or just do it TF2 style and say everyone loses.
    - Continue gradually ramping up the bot spawns. The game already does this by gradually replacing slims with blackjacks. Instead of suddenly going crazy with jackbot spawns, just keep gradually ramping it up with bigger/stronger blackjack waves and more frequent (but not ridiculous) jackbot spawns.
    - Instead of suddenly giving everyone all gold endorsements, ramp it up gradually. At 15 minutes, upgrade all endorsements by 1 level. At 20 minutes, upgrade again. At 25 minutes, upgrade to all gold.
    - Don't EVER drop the moneyball except by the push of the bots. Keep the gameplay concepts intact.
    - Maybe add very expensive level 4 skill upgrades so that players can continue to gain power. This would require a significant extra balancing effort though.

The idea is that by gradually ramping up the power of players and bots, one team's slight advantage becomes more likely to landslide into a victory. DotA uses the same general concept.

I don't think the occasional longer game would be too much of an issue for anyone. Only evenly matched games would go longer, and those are generally the more fun games that you WANT to keep going. The ones that are currently fun until juice rushing overtime ruins them.
  7. Im Hudson

Im Hudson New Member

Honestly, people need to manage overtime better if they are losing in OT despite having a lead on the money ball in regulation.

-When the game gets down to the last bullseye spawn, you better ASSUME the game will be hitting overtime.

-You should have juice 15 seconds or so before overtime hits. This requires cash or juice gain management in the last 1-2 mins of the game. All the usual gameplay tactics are modified because overtime is a new portion of the game.

-Your team should send your best moneyball killers (Snipers, Tanks, Supports) to the enemy base to begin opening fire as SOON as the ball drops. This means they need to be there BEFORE the ball drops. This means you need to manage the clock.

-If you do this, you will not lose in overtime if you had a significant lead in regulation, Unless the enemy team some how chain crowd controls all of your juiced pros at the same time, while melting your money ball with the other juiced pros.

Now in games where NEITHER team touched the moneyball, I think OT can be frustrating, but even then, one team was better prepared for OT than the other.

One team can be dominating in regulation and still lose in overtime because team two was prepared to survive regulation and WIN in overtime. Overtime changes the rules of the game and you have to be prepared for it. With good preparation, your efforts in regulation will not go to waste (assuming you damaged the moneyball more than the other team).

This is not a football game, it is a race (within a time limit). First to the finish line wins (or furthest along at the end of the time wins). Everything that happens before one team crosses the line is irrelevant in terms of winning and losing.
  8. PohTayToez

PohTayToez New Member

The basic principle that most people don't understand is that you need to prepare for overtime. If you're down to a minute or two and you know it's going to go over, then you need to get ready. If you don't have a coordinated team, then your best bet is to go tank or sniper and try and take the moneyball out yourself. Obviously not ideal, but this is a team based game, so you should not have to resort to this.

To prepare for overtime, have your juice ready (or halfway at least, so you hit juice when overtime starts) and spend the rest of your money on turrets, level 3 laserblasers to be exact, although a shaveice in the right place might not hurt. Like Hudson said, your money ball killers need to be in place and ready as soon as the ball drops, and the rest of your team should be playing defense and counter juicing.
  9. zarakon

zarakon Active Member

Hudson, PohTayToez, I don't think the issue is "I can't win in overtime". It's just that it sucks. Win or lose, it's usually not fun
  10. PohTayToez

PohTayToez New Member

That's odd, considering that the original post is about losing in overtime.
  11. DeadStretch

DeadStretch Post Master General

Nobody could have said it better.
    Well done.
  12. Billy Rueben

Billy Rueben New Member

It's not supposed to be fun. It's supposed to end the game.
  13. southsidesox24

southsidesox24 New Member

Do you really think that the developers put OT in thinking, "We know OT isn't fun, but it is the best way to end the game"? Attacking the OP about his ability really has nothing to do with his complaint. Logical fallacy.
  14. DeadStretch

DeadStretch Post Master General

Not exactly those words but to the effect. There is even a video of them explaining it on their Justin.tv page.
  15. southsidesox24

southsidesox24 New Member

Actually, they have posted on here that they do think it is fun, that it brings a sense of urgency to the game. Either way, attacking the OP's ability has nothing to do with his complaint.
  16. Im Hudson

Im Hudson New Member

The entire reason I posted in the thread and underlined the main part of my statement.
  17. TOM12121112

TOM12121112 New Member

i think that overtime should NOT drop the ball, it should just make both balls health deteriorate at an even rate, 50%/minute, so that it would go from full to empty in 2 minutes. then the team with more health should still win, this will just force the game to end more evenly. i cal BS on people that change to sniper just to take the ball out in OT. thats pretty lame too.
  18. Diablohead

Diablohead New Member

heh interesting replies, most of you who are saying I should prepare for overtime are also telling me to get my juice ready, you don't see the problem I take it.
  19. rudigarmc

rudigarmc New Member

What is the problem you take with it? That using an intended in game mechanic like juice is cheating or cheap? Is it cheap to sniper with the sniper? Is it cheap to cloak and back stab someone? Is it cheap to unload a full clip from a gunner into another pro?
  20. zarakon

zarakon Active Member

A more gradual ramp-up would end the game and probably be a lot more fun