jetpack bots?

Discussion in 'Support!' started by Nebbyyy, August 1, 2013.

1. Nebbyyy

Nebbyyy Member

I just finished watching the latest uber live steam, and with talking about bots being more maneuverable than tanks and ways to improve them, i feel the best way to do this is to add a jetpack ability to the bots, allowing them to quickly hop over things like crevasses, small width mountains and small moon craters.

This would enable them o have a viable quickly retreat option if they were to run into tanks but more importantly would enable them to be a much more affective unit choice for constant harassment, allowing players to press and pressure with bots, then make the final push with their tanks.

Just an idea anyway, let me know your thoughts
  2. guyverdan

guyverdan New Member

Agreed, this would give the bots a great advantage over tanks...
  3. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

I think unit variety in general would be nice. Teleporting tanks, jetpack bots, giant tunnel drillers, sniper bots, ambush bots, etc. etc.
  4. emb4

emb4 Active Member

I would like this alot
  5. lazeruski

lazeruski Active Member

Jetpack bots, cloaked Sniper Bots...something like this would make them really interesting, the mobile micromanagement section of our units
  6. EurypteriD

EurypteriD New Member

They are on purpose going as much away from Micro they can as possible.
  7. nanolathe

nanolathe Post Master General

Then they have failed already by segregating bots into a "more mobile" role. Mobility implies more micromanagement than that of the A-Click-the-enemies-base tank.

Unless Uber are going to completely automate flanking manoeuvres, skirmish behaviour and intelligent pathfinding you're going to have to micromanage bots due to what their current "role" is, and what their stat-profile indicates is their best use.
  8. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

Nanolathe, you, me, game. I have already won a lot of games using nothing but bots, and I had quite a few close victories that were decided by snipes and lag. Bots excel at keeping your opponent boxed in while you expand all over the planet; tanks are just too slow for raiding runs now. I don't micro them at all, I just send them on their merry way and check on them once I hear a "unit death" alert. "Oh no! They're running into an entire battalion of levelers!" *clicks away from levelers* "That's better."
  9. nanolathe

nanolathe Post Master General

Mushroom, you know all too well that you'd beat me so I have no interest in measuring the size of our respective e-schlongs. But you beat me by having superior macro and unit production, not by your unit control. I beat you there.
    ;)
  10. zaphodx

zaphodx Post Master General

I think we'll find mixed armies with good unit placement become a powerful tool.
  11. zGeneral

zGeneral Member

I like this idea. "jumping over cracks..."
    similarly, they can use teleportation like in Sup Com 2
  12. superouman

superouman Post Master General

This isn't as good as it seems, units which are not affected by terrain tend to reduce the strategic depth of a game.
  13. hanspeterschnitzel

hanspeterschnitzel Active Member

Or add to the strategic depth as long as only a few units are able to do that.

It allows scenarios like.. "Oh no! Those T2 artillery on the other side of that crack take out my tanks.. hmm, the enemy only has AA towers near that crack and his artillery.. Lets send some bots over it and destroy that arty!"

The arty is destroyed, the mixed tank/aa/mobile artillery/whatever useful units we will get pushes onward and the boths weaken the defences from behind.
  14. l3tuce

l3tuce Active Member

If you like to micro, use bots. If you don't, use tanks. Both have strengths and weaknesses.

At least that's how I imagine it ought to be. I've had some fun doing harrasement with a single bot, circlestraifing around an enemy's base and blowing up his mex while he frantically tried to shoot me. Micro can be fun if you aren't worried that you could be doing something more important (like expanding your base). Also with team armies you can have one person on micro and another on macro.