Jazz Jackrabbit 2 thread

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by wheatkrieg, December 4, 2012.

1. wheatkrieg

wheatkrieg New Member

[​IMG]

I love Jazz Jackrabbit 2. It was played during my childhood when the world still appreciated beige computers running Windows 98 and ancient networking called dial-up. The game stars Jazz and Spazz as they travel through the universe to rescue the princess from a villain by the named of Devon Shell (sounds familiar?). JJ2 was very unique for a platformer game, sporting surrealistic wacky art, a brilliant OST, and a multiplayer mode I only discovered by chance since I was very young, sporting dedicated servers and a custom level designer. Random OST can be heard by pressing my signature. JJ2 is one of the best games I've ever played, so I thought I would mention it.
  2. Nap

Nap Well-Known Member

This game was amazing. The art style reminded me of a mix between Toxic Crusaders and Commander Keen
  3. Cerilium

Cerilium Active Member

Can't say I've ever played or heard of it. :?

But I was wondering where your avatar was from, now I know.
  4. LennardF1989

LennardF1989 Uber Contractor

Little trivia: Arjan Brusee (he's Dutch :3) was the main coder of this game, he worked together with Cliff Blezninski who later designed the Unreal series. Arjan Brusee ended up being the co-founder of Guerrilla Games (the guys that made the Kill Zone series) and is now employed at EA.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arjan_Brussee
  5. Nap

Nap Well-Known Member

Speaking of the music and Unreal, Alexander Brandon, the composer of Jazz Jackrabbit also went on to compose most of the Unreal soundtracks as well the original Deus Ex and he has done additional voice acting work on Skyrim.
  6. wheatkrieg

wheatkrieg New Member

I miss JJ2's active community. There was so much content and so much fun to be had.
  7. AndyMatronic

AndyMatronic Member

I think I may have had the Freeware version of this back when I was a kid, and I loved it. Not sure if it was the full game but I don't think I ever completed it if it was. There was an Alice in Wonderland level that I remember was pretty cool, and I loved Spaz and the animations on the character selection.

I should go back and download them or something. Would be cool to see them reimagined in 3D, maybe even in a grittier, but still characteristically colourful way, with co-op play and stuff.
  8. wheatkrieg

wheatkrieg New Member

There was a 3D game that was scrapped with a WIP installation floating around the internet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jazz_Jackrabbit_3