[Issue]Server lag and prioritization

Discussion in 'Support!' started by specter89, May 25, 2014.

1. specter89

specter89 New Member

I got the game yesterday, and have been struggling to get decent vs AI matches going.
    Sometimes I can play fine for almost the whole match, but mostly there is extreme lag (after 50+ units are on the map).

Everything freezes, except the animations. these freezes last up to 1minute at a time, with a single updated frame and the it starts all over again. If sending troops into enemy base I can basically go make coffee and come back to see how it turned out.

I believe this is partly due to my location (South Africa) and mostly due to server optimization/Priority
    If it could at least just update unit positions and kill them on time, or shorter lag spikes, I would be happy with this early release.

The issue occurs both from steam launcher and standalone launcher versions of the game.
  2. Abaddon1

Abaddon1 Active Member

I have the same issues with the servers crawling to a slideshow, even early in a match, I'm in the US though, so while location might have something to do with it, I doubt it is everything. Its been an issue ever since the Galactic War update came out for me.
  3. SikkeSakke

SikkeSakke Member

Yep, the Lag Monster is currently bigger than famous Spaghetti Monster. Location doesn't seem to matter cause also in here, Northern Finland, lag is present.
  4. ctrlfrk

ctrlfrk New Member

I wonder if it's because everyone is playing galactic war now...
  5. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

Most likely.
    Since Uber put out a sale right when G.W. came out, it's likely that this lag of death will last a while :(
  6. jendrykgaming

jendrykgaming Member

I was dealing with this earlier and really scratching my head as to how to solve the issue. I wanted to come up with a good name for it, something that adequately described a solution to the lag and disconnect troubles currently plaguing the game.

Turns out it wasn't such a novel concept. It was in a lot of my other favorite games, including Supreme Commander. Basically, you don't need to be connected to the developers' servers to play the game, and don't have to rely on their server stability in order to enjoy the experience. Your games don't end on a cliffhanger just as you're about to engage in the last epic battle that you've been preparing to wage for the last 45 minutes, only to be foiled by a connection lost message. No more absolutely emotionally crushing and demoralizing premature game endings just as you're on the cusp of victory. You can even narrow down bugs and crashes that may be based solely on your PC, since being online is one less variable to worry about.

I like to call it "Offline Mode," and as I understand it's a longtime favorite of many RTS fans, especially those familiar with the TA/SC/FA games.
  7. specter89

specter89 New Member

At least I know now its not only me. On the steam forums they said "The servers are def not overloaded" so idk wtf.

Can't the dev's learn from EA's mistakes? I would not have bought early access if they said up front:"permanent connection to server required to play"

Can we not all pressure them into getting the server software in a state to release with the game as an alternative option to their online server??
  8. warrenkc

warrenkc Active Member

The servers seem to be laggy very much so lately. Stalling for minutes at a time.