Is Titans interoperable and why is it not DLC?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by tbacav, August 20, 2015.

1. tbacav

tbacav Member

Will patch notes be provided for the new PA build? Will we see any further "PA Classic" updates? What engine features can be backported so that modders can take advantage of them?

Are Titans players able to see/join/create "PA Classic" matches?

Why is Titans not an addon to the base game? Won't this divide the community, not make it larger? Was it not feasible to actually get the correct modding framework in the engine to support Titans as an official expansion?

Why is there no DRM free uber store purchase option?

Regards,
    A disappointed early access backer.
  2. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

1. Unlikely, not even Uber is sure exactly which bugs it fixed.
    2. Yes, they'll just be bugfixes and optimizations though rather than gameplay stuff.
    3. I think all of them?
    4. Yes.
    5. Because then it would have to deal with 3k+ obsolete negative steam reviews..
    6. Most "die-hard" PA players, which is most of who's left, will transfer over, and all new players will just get Titans. It will split the playerbase into 5% OPA and 95% PAT.
    7. No, I don't think that's the casee.
    8. Actually, this. @jables Why is there no DRM free uber store purchase option?
  3. tbacav

tbacav Member

Nicb1 and stuart98 like this.
  4. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

I think instead you can get it through the in-game armory at the discounted price. They still don't have it on their uber store for some reason.
  5. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

how much is titans in the armory?
  6. crizmess

crizmess Well-Known Member

I brought it in the armory, since the web store didn't had it.
    It was $13.60
  7. MrTBSC

then this is what i have to critique this should be the pricedifference between pa-vanilla and titans .. which i think is 10 dollars or regional equivalent ..

so yes discount for owners should be 75 % instead of just 66%
    Last edited: August 20, 2015
  8. crizmess

By price difference you mean the difference between the normal sales price of PA to the recommended sales price of PA:T?
  9. MrTBSC

if vanilla pa normal price is/was 30 and pa:t is 40 so 25% or 10$ more (me thinks) then this is what pa-owners should pay to be able to upgrade and not more ..
    because let's be honest pa:t feels more like an addon than a standalone .. however that addon is immidiately sold as goldpackage (that's were the standalone is set in)
    Last edited: August 20, 2015
  10. crizmess

I'm not sure if you can do maths like this. Well of course you can, but the thing is if you get a correct answer from that.
    This is good for some 1st order approximation, since you are using rsp here. But after this we are going into the rabbit hole of perceived product value which is a nice place to debate all day long.
    cptconundrum likes this.
  11. MrTBSC

well yes i am rather doing rough math here but something about the current discount feels off ..
    i mean think about it if someone may have bought pa before pa:t release he may now have to pay overall more than one that just bout pa:t new ...

also just out of curiosity what's rsp?
  12. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

To clarify the question about titans players seeing classic games, yes they can and they can join them. So this could actually increase players in classic too as everyone will see the games.
  13. crizmess

Oh, sorry.
    That is recommended sales price. The price the producer of a product wants to you to pay for.

And yes there may be corner cases where the current price may seem of (On the other side, if you brought PA on Steam, you could easily get a refund and buy PA:T afterwards), but in the overall picture I think this is a fair price.
    To be honest, I searched for the receipt in my mail account to get the price I paid yesterday. And I don't even remember what I paid for the original PA in the gamma phase.
    Personally I felt like it is/was a good deal and it is far to stressful to rationalize buys like this afterwards ;-)
    cdrkf likes this.
  14. tbacav

tbacav Member

Thanks @cdrkf

The discounting/perceived price discussion is an interesting point but not a big deal over $3. $10-$15 seems about DLC content price, $10 would of course be more palatable. The unpalatable thing is that it is presented to people who have payed $60-$250 to see this game to fruition as $40 value with a large discount.

I'll wait for a bit before reconsidering whether to pick up TITANS. As far as I'm concerned there is a mostly decent base game in the post galatic war builds that needs a couple of finishing touches that will hopefully be added.

@jables I would still like to see an option to directly purchase this stuff - I assume armory is that but not sure? After a direct download Linux build for Titans and not sure that will provide it. I don't like the market ownership, DRM, or typically excessive fee issues surrounding steam. I also chose to go with early access and the price point I did because of Linux support. I thought about going for the $90 tier but am sadly kind of glad I didn't as I do have a problem with the marketing mistakes you guys keep making. All the typical internet nonsense comparing you guys to EA is a bit much though. I understand you need to eat and pay for things and have no problem with releasing new paid content (hovercraft and experimentals are surely The Uber Contingency).
  15. cdrkf

If you have PA classic, you can purchase titans in the armoury and should still function offline and so on.
  16. nuketf

nuketf Active Member

it allready has the negative reviews
  17. cdrkf

Yeah it isn't a case of *preventing negative reviews*, it's a case of clearing up all the reviews bashing PA for:

"No save / load", "DRM DRM DRM! The ******", "No Multi Planet", "No Naval" and so on which cropped up all through the development (it amazes me people criticized a game in development for not being totally finished lol).

The purpose of the Steam Reviews is to inform people about what they are intending to buy. If someone doesn't like the game, then they can leave a negative review and (hopefully) give some useful explanation as to why (e.g. 'no unit abilities, I prefer games like Warcraft') rather than ('game sux').

Is it still possible for people to not like PA:Titans, yes of course (everyone's tastes are different). That said many of the major arguments against original PA were resolved during patches post release, or have been added in the Titans update. As a result it's got a much better score and a lot less totally outdated and irrelevant negative reviews which simply no longer apply.
  18. nuketf

nuketf Active Member

there are currently more negative then good reviews (trthufly i have 0 money no clue if il get any by the time the "offer" ends which i think is dumb to have it be timed! it should be free to who aver bought PA in beta and below!)
  19. cdrkf

Are we looking at the same thing? How is '262 positive' vs '66 negative' reviews more negative (works out as 80% positive)...?

I think there are more negative reviews in the 'Helpful' section although that is just the trolls up voting each other *sigh*
  20. nuketf

nuketf Active Member

ah my misstake i just woke up :p but if the negative reviews in helpful does not go away it still may go the same way
    cdrkf likes this.