Is this game alive?

Discussion in 'PA: TITANS: General Discussion' started by flatboat, December 15, 2016.

1. flatboat

flatboat New Member

A handful of people may remember me, those who did, know me as [BRN] Flatboat. So whats the deal i played PA in its prime. Did this game bring back competitve play and the community? Is this just a money grab with a few people holding on? Need answers before i invest money and time going competitive into the game again.
  2. Nicb1

Nicb1 Post Master General

If you are trying to set someone off you are going to right way about it. Yes the game is still alive and there are plenty playing although you wont find many from BRN playing anymore other than myself and one other.
    flatboat likes this.
  3. flatboat

flatboat New Member

Thanks for the response. And im not trying to "set anyone off" seems silly anyone would get mad over this post
  4. Nicb1

All g then, just assume thats the case nowdays the moment i hear cashgrab and stuff. I swear getting involved with some people has made me get extra prone to tilt when it comes to that topic.
    flatboat likes this.
  5. flatboat

flatboat New Member

Whos the other Brn player still around?
  6. probodobodyne

probodobodyne Active Member

PA:Titans isn't a cash grab. Calling it one has negative connotations and the game is already underrated thanks in part to people who've run a dedicated misinformation campaign against it, so it's rather sensitive.

The game is quite alive, you'll find players often but like any game with a relatively low population it has noticeable uptimes and downtimes.

The Christmas sale for Steam is coming soon so there should be a discount in any case.

Overall Titans made the game much better and fixed some gameplay issues that caused the game to be stagnant. Orbital invasions are much easier thanks to the new Orbital Titan for example. I don't play 1v1 ranked much but I tried a few times and got a game in like 2 minutes.
    Quitch, flatboat and Nicb1 like this.
  7. flatboat

flatboat New Member

Thanks for the info will get a copy when its on sale! Must be a very sensitive issue please re read my comment i was asking if it was a cash grab Not calling it one. I have plenty of hours in the old PA and played at a high level. I have no disrespect for the game simply asking questions..
  8. Nicb1

Psycho and I have started to get into the game again, we tend to jump between a few games PA being one of them.
    Edit:
    Also had a game with smith recently.
    Last edited: December 15, 2016
  9. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

People are touchy because a lot of shade was thrown at PA when it released due to it missing features. The devs though just made a mistake- all the stuff people complained about got added in free updates- it was all going a bit better, then Titans launched and the shade throwers went crazy "it's a scam" despite Uber given the game away free to all 44,000 kickstarter backers and at a heavy 66% off discount to everyone else (btw if you have base PA you should still be eligible for the 66% off price to upgrade).

Despite all that- Uber are still working on it, since Titans release we've had two major updates, the first bringing an integrated mod manager directly into the game. The second (just released) adds multi threading to the simulation and AI which boost performance in multi planet games quite a lot.

Speaking of mods- one thing the game has lacked since the beginning is a second faction- so I highly recommend you install the 'Legion' mod (@Nicb1 was one of the team that built it)- it adds a fulls second faction to the game that is balanced against the main faction. It really adds a lot of depth and its free.

In terms of 'competitive scene'- well there is a 1 v 1 ladder built into the game which I can usually get a game on, though it's not super busy. There are plenty of multi player matches going on usually, and there are small tournaments every few months. It's not a bad scene given the player base is fairly small- although things like tournies do tend to get quite a lot of people back in for a bit.
    tatsujb likes this.