Is there a manual for this somewhere?

Discussion in 'Support!' started by bloodmage2, June 8, 2013.

1. bloodmage2

bloodmage2 New Member

So i completely forgot i even backed this util about an hour ago, downloaded the alpha, and started playing.
    a minute later, i exited out because i had absolutely no idea what was going on.
    i don't see any kind of tutorial in-game, and i haven't found anything remotely resembling a readme or a help file, so can anyone point me to somewhere i can read on what is going on?

or am i just expected to figure it all out on the fly?
  2. ooshr32

ooshr32 Active Member

Basically, yes.

Start a "sandbox", i.e. Create a game, select an army, then start it by yourself and have a play around to get the hang of it.

There are some YouTube vids of gameplay up already, they might help you a bit getting the feel, and if you have specific questions then you know where the forums are. ;)
  3. slavetoinsurance

slavetoinsurance Member

Yeah dude, it's way too early in the alpha to be doing tutorials. Don't mean that in a condescending way; there's just other stuff to figure out first.

Basically, you've got two resources-energy and metal-that run on a streaming basis. Units use energy to run and perform actions, metal is used to build things. The idea is you build within your limits, otherwise your economy starves and you build insufferably slowly. The idea behind this is you can build things you currently don't have the resources for, because you pay for them over time. You can add additional engineers to speed things up, but be prepared for an increase in cost per second.

Your commander is your most important unit: he can build faster (and at higher cost) than any other unit, and he also has the UBER CANNON, the strongest single shot gun in the game (save for a nuke... I dunno, I'm going off total annihilation rules here)

Basically, read each unit's role to see what they do well, use them to counter others that they can, and try and blow up the enemy commander (and watch what happens when you do ;D)

Anyway, the rest you can figure out. Have fun!

EDIT: forgot to mention the wiki. I can't link it, since I'm on my phone, but a quick search for "planetary annihilation wiki" should do the trick. Also be aware that it's bare- bones right now since the alpha was basically released to the public two days ago.