Is See through cover unbalanced?

Discussion in 'Monday Night Combat PC Discussion' started by tinygod, February 17, 2011.

?

Which class benefits most for see through cover

1. Assassin

1 vote(s)
    4.2%
  2. Assault

2 vote(s)
    8.3%
  3. Gunner

1 vote(s)
    4.2%
  4. Sniper

16 vote(s)
    66.7%
  5. Support

2 vote(s)
    8.3%
  6. Tanks

2 vote(s)
    8.3%
  1. tinygod

tinygod New Member

Lately the forum is flooded with sniper and assassin op threads. I don't want to start a new one. This thread is here to discuss the see through cover system. And while I feel it benefits certain classes more than others I don't want to get into a flame war about those classes. I simply want to talk about the cover system.

Right Now I feel see through cover greatly benefits snippers. It allows a sniper to track his victims while unexposed and protected. He's able to find a victim pop out of cover fire and pop back In to cover in a fraction of a second. He can repeat this process for as many bullets as his clips holds due to a fast rate of fire.

If his cover weren't see through this would only work on targets that stood still. Which would be fine but because he can do this while continuing to track moving targets, it is easily abused. Especially by snipers with bad aim. As They are allowed to make up to 7 attempts at a head shot Many of which end up being body shot from relative safety. Only another sniper doing the same thing can challenge him. Unless you have already closed the gap.

In a normal game with non see throuh cover. You could supress the sniper. For instance use mortars or grenades to force him behind cover. And to break his line of site. Than move behind new cover. Repeat and use this to approach him. Evening the playing field. But that is not the case here. Since even If he's forced behind the wall he does not loose sight of u.

Now it's arguable that this works both ways. And all classes benefit and loose out equally. But the snipers range, accuracy, rate of fire and one hit kills. Make it less even. As you either cannot hit him at all. Or can only use projectiles to supress him. While he's is spamming for a one hit kill or body shots that leave you crippled.

Now don't get me wrong. A good sniper who consistently lands head shots. Deserves to win that fight. But I feel the cover system rewards,snipers who pop in and out spamming shots, far to much.

This could be more the reason people feel they are op than his actual abilities.

A lot of class's benefit from this greatly, Assaults can bomb over cover beacause they can see through it, Assassins can avoid running into a tank while cloaked, and line up ambushes easier, but I personally feel snipers get the most out of this.

And while I'm sure i'm opening my self up to a STORM of stop qqing, I feel its a valid point.. So i'm making it.

Edited out spelling mistakes and grammar mistakes, due to writing it on my phone.
    Last edited: February 18, 2011
  2. Caliostro

Caliostro New Member

Slims are OP.
  3. nSmoothCritical

nSmoothCritical New Member

Snickers is imbalanced, don't eat it.

You are calling it a valid point, I'll tell you why that is utterly untrue. If you realized the idea behind the whole feature - that being encouraging players to put some action in motion in order to actually finish their job and putting yourself in constant need of moving around - you wouldn't tell me it favors any specific class. You state that it does favor snipers, ever thought why did you even think of it? Because no one bothers to use in-game communication feature! If you can expect someone to focus on you for a short while, call him out and your sniper will take care of him - simple as that.

Just because a solution to a problem is not easy or clear does not mean the problem is a matter of imbalance.

I can't help myself but derp at this.
  4. Rammite

Rammite New Member

Can I just point out you're claiming glass is overpowered?
  5. timmy TED

timmy TED New Member

the support can do damage from the safety of the glass.
  6. tinygod

tinygod New Member

yes but your solution is to get another sniper..

which is kind of my point..
  7. Mail

Mail New Member

I can't help pointing out how your spelling and grammar deteriorated a great deal as the post went on. It seems you're trying to be reasonable about an issue you feel strongly about. My suggestion is to take a break from the game and come back when your thoughts are more ordered, because I can't fathom what you're trying to say in certain parts of the post.
  8. Caliostro

Caliostro New Member

Reminds me heavily of this
  9. Fitzgerald

Fitzgerald New Member

See through cover... are you talking about the icons of the opposing team showing up on your hud? even if they are behind a wall?

If so, this presents a couple questions.

1. does it happen all the time? i dont believe it does.

2. does it only happen when your one of your teamates has vision of the target.

3. if no to the previous, then what are the conditionals?

edited for gramatics
  10. tinygod

tinygod New Member

yeah I typed that on an iphone while stuck in traffic.. i'll clean it up a bit..

EDITED: it should be fixed now, give it a read, and contribute..
  11. tinygod

tinygod New Member

no I'm talking about the fact that most walls are see through.
  12. Fitzgerald

Fitzgerald New Member

oh, the see through undestructable glass. gotcha.

hmm, i can see where your coming from now.

I like the idea of the glass in your base, but in other areas of the map id have to agree that it does aid those "Reach out and touch you from 100 yrds" classes and takes away from those classes that, if they werent see through, could use them as spots to hide and ambush from. such as the bridges on ammo mule. as is i can look and see exactly who is there and who isnt. if they were opaque (sp?) then it would add a perverbial wild card. Is someone there? cant really tell. A tank could be hiding there waiting for you to run underneath the bridge...

There are plenty of implications that an imobile see through shield like that has. For both Offense and Defense. In general it gives each person the ability to view the battlefield with a much smaller window of danger. but it also gives the people being viewed that exact same benefit. They cant kill you when they're behind it.

Hmm ill have to think more about the effects this has on gameplay. (somethings your brain already sees but just havent rationalized it yet.)
  13. tinygod

tinygod New Member

Exactly, the see through walls, really change the whole dynamics of the game, far more than anything else IMO..

and they allow ranged class's to really op out and kill from relative safety.. without giving up the ability to track targets while taking cover..
  14. Bakey

Bakey New Member

YES, freakin all my deaths in game are from glass. Nerf now!
  15. G3722

G3722 Member

Do you even listen to yourself before you decide to type stuff like this?

The glass walls changes the dynamics of the game from exactly what? Your lopsided idea of what balance should be?

The glass walls have always been there, so in your own terms "Deal with it". You really sound like a Nascar driver complaining about driving in circles.

Can someone please paypal Tinygod his $14.99 back?
  16. GheP

GheP New Member

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

But in all honesty, I think taking some of the glass out of maps would even the playing field for tanks like me vs snipers :p

Edit: ALSO, just thought of this: It relieves a lot of pain when dealing with cheaters; ie: "wall-hacks." The game is kind of pointless to play with a wall-hack (I play(ed) a LOT of counter-strike, and wall-hacking was very annoying) because of the see-through glass and name display of enemies on your HUD. I think that if Uber Entertainment were to implement solid walls that aren't transparent you would see a large surge in the wall-hacking community in this game.
  17. BroTranquilty

BroTranquilty New Member

Glass walls benefit EVERY class. Gunners, Tanks, Assaults, Assassins, Snipers, and MAYBE least of all Supports, but Supports nonetheless.

That is like saying the Annihilator benefits one class more than the other (in a way it does benefit the assassin, unless you actually pay attention to the damned thing lol).
  18. Col_Jessep

Col_Jessep Moderator Alumni

That is actually a very good point. Wall hacks would be almost useless in MNC.

I think glass walls are the logical choice since you can sneak a peek around walls in 3rd person view anyway. If they were not see through there would probably be a lot of camping going on from players waiting to catch somebody off guard.
  19. grimbar

grimbar New Member

Did anyone ever think of the fact that spectators need to be able to see what is going on the field, considering how this is a sport after all.

Gotta make sense lore-wise, gosh
  20. Caliostro

Caliostro New Member

Steel Peel is unbalanced then, cause of the dome.