Is it possible to increase character limit in posts?

Discussion in 'Uber Entertainment Discussion' started by SolitaryCheese, September 2, 2014.

1. SolitaryCheese

SolitaryCheese Post Master General

Because as some of you may know, I've got this ongoing PA fan-fiction project, Tales of Annihilation. Long story short, so far, all of my episodes, except for one, were far beyond the 10k character limit of forum posts, and some of them even went beyond 20k...

While it is not necessarily a big deal, as I can split them to multiple posts, it really is becoming very tedious to post 2-4 posts every time I release a new episode, and it also doesn't look very pretty.

Pretty please?
  2. LennardF1989

LennardF1989 Uber Contractor

This is more a database-limit than a forum-limit. Storing that much info in a single row is not optimal for performance reasons. It would be much better to setup a Google Docs or Dropbox and release your episodes as PDF, for example :)
    lolmontoya likes this.
  3. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

I agree that a shiny PDF release is much better, but out of curiosity: What kind of database is in use here? I have seen database that stored whole pdf documents and similar things in huge amounts as byte arrays just fine.
  4. LennardF1989

MySQL, and just to give an impression, the current database alone is already 1.3GB in size, running at about 800MB of RAM constantly. About 15 queries are ran every page-load. The whole database is indexed, but huge text-records will slow it down.
  5. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Well the page feels okay speed wise for me, so the servers seems to be able to put up with it nicely.
    1.3GB isn't that horribly much I think. Why would you need an index on the post content though? I can't imagine a scenario in which posts are selected by content, more like by thread id or something. Unless maybe you try to do a text search or something, but the forums search is horrible anyway ignoring 99% of all words for being too unspecific or short anyway.
  6. Geers

Geers Post Master General

7. SolitaryCheese

SolitaryCheese Post Master General

I know that I should probably upload a pdf file, but the reason I don't want to do it at the moment is because I intend to modify each episode with tiny little fixes from time to time. But eventually, when I reach a huge milestone with the story, and that I feel satisfied with the overall quality, I would put everything into one huge pdf and release it as a "book".

PS.: Read my story if you ever feel bored. Link below, in my signature. Shameless advertisement.
    bengeocth and lolmontoya like this.
  8. LennardF1989

I don't make the rules! I just cope with them :p
    lolmontoya and cola_colin like this.
  9. Geers

Geers Post Master General

TXT Master Race.
  10. bengeocth

bengeocth Post Master General

I usually have to make last second changes in mine too.