Interstellar Fighters.

Discussion in 'Balance Discussions' started by optica1x, March 19, 2014.

1. optica1x

optica1x Member

Common trend for people who own a planet is making it impossible to land anything on with out getting a swarm of gunships or bombers welcoming you.
    With the new build coming with multiple planet spawns a solution will be needed.

A fighter that could jump from planets, but only effective at AA should be considered imo.
    There is the option of nukes, but i am right to assume they do not have unlimited range?
    Also there is not always the option of smashing planets so a way to break the airspace well invading is needed.
    Any thoughts on this people, idea's and critics!?
  2. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

We need a system where using asteroids, is always available.
  3. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

*Interplanetary fighters. Nobody is flying between stars.

I've never liked air-spam. I always find it boring. A few well placed air units are great, but migratory flocks coursing from A-to-B are just dull.

Also, Unit Cannons.
    improvised1 and vyolin like this.
  4. vyolin

vyolin Well-Known Member

Look forward to the glory days of server-side modding!
    BulletMagnet likes this.
  5. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

I've been advocating for cross-layer fighters for a while.

An advanced fighter that is build out of the Advanced Air Factory that can move up to the orbital layer, fight against avengers, and also hop to other planets, to return back down to the surface to fight Peregrines on an enemy occupied planet.
    Devak and spicyquesidilla like this.
  6. Geers

Geers Post Master General

Everyone's saying Peregrines are OP and Avengers are useless. So wouldn't the best option be to combine the two rather than adding another unit on top?
    improvised1 and vyolin like this.
  7. vyolin

vyolin Well-Known Member

Plus, it would force balancing of the different layers in conjunction rather than isolation.
  8. Nullimus

Nullimus Well-Known Member

I think what we need is an object. perhaps the Egg, that can move interplanetarily. It crashes to the ground, pops a nuke to clear a landing zone then has the players choice of an air, vehicle, or bot factory that is surrounded by 4 laser turrets and four AA turrets to provide minimal defense while it starts to produce units. It should be about as expensive as a Haley so spamming it would require an insanely huge economy.
  9. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

I've thought about it.

But the reasons Avengers are useless is due to Anchor balance and Peregrines are OP is because of their rate of fire and damage. The train of thought that two units are broken so they should be tossed out is a bit... illogical. There are many arguments for getting rid of the Avenger and Peregrine, but the idea that they should be tossed because of current balance is not one of them.

I've spent some time thinking on the subject. One way or another, I think the Avenger should stay. One of the things I think is missing about the orbital layer is diversity. So adding this new Advanced Fighter alongside the Avenger would contribute to the diversity.

And the Peregrine... There's quite a few reasons to get rid of it or keep it. I see both sides.

I'm leaning towards nerfing the Peregrine so it's only a little better than the Avenger, so that would make the Peregrine about as strong the Hummingbird. Lower the cost of the Peregrine, but still make it more expensive than the Hummingbird because the Avenger would be a little stronger than it and have the ability to move between planets and layers, so the cost would have to reflect that.

That would make the Hummingbird the king of the skies, and then we'd lower the health of the Hornet and Gunship to match. Now the skies are made up of glass cannons, ground based mobile AA is valid, and players can retain control of their airspace without having the need of 1 more fighter than their opponent.
    christer1966 likes this.