Interplanetary weaponry?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by legitlobster, June 11, 2013.

1. legitlobster

legitlobster Member

I guess this has been brought up before but the search function is refusing to work for me right now.

I was wondering if there will be interplanetary weapons, aside from the transport cannon and Asteroids; Mavor-sized artillery and strategic missiles come to mind.

I believe such an opportunity to implement a cannon the size of the mavor without having it be OP should not be missed. I imagine a huge artillery installation that has such a large minimum range that it cannot be fired at the planet it is installed on. It would instead fire at nearby planets controlled by the enemy. It could be countered (obviously) by interplanetary counterfire or regular (orbital?) bombardment and planetary raids.

Similarly, interplanetary missiles could post a serious thread due to their huge range and push players to engage faster eg. when they started the game on different planets, which I guess will be possible.

I do not believe this would be very overpowered, building such installations would of course be so expensive that asteroids would follow not long after, threatening to destroy the interplanetary weapons of a player immediately. This would also add a new layer of celestial strategy. Say, you know your enemy on a different planet will be going for an asteroid soon. You are going for IP artillery yourself. If you know that he will only be able to "afford" an asteroid big enough to destroy your planet partially, you might spread out your IP weapons more, which in turn would render them until "their" side of the planet is facing the targeted one.

Countering these attacks would be possible in the same ways that are being suggested in the noshield discussion atm. Defensive missiles come to mind. For instance, IP nukes could require three or more regular anti-nukes to be countered, similar to the Yolona Oss in SupCom.

Note: I do not intend these weapons to be OP game-enders, I rather see them as a means to "connect" different planets in battle in addition to on-planet battles that does not instantly wreck the planet itself like asteroids do.
  2. KNight

KNight Post Master General

3. legitlobster

legitlobster Member

No I actually got an error message saying something along the lines of "this tool is currently unavailable to you, try again later."
  4. blobbit

blobbit New Member

Did you try again later? :)
  5. legitlobster

legitlobster Member

Well, once, but got the error again. Now I don't. Guess I was a little impatient :D

What about the topic though? Am I beating a dead horse already?
  6. evilotioncr2

evilotioncr2 New Member

It could be a giant orbital cannon.
  7. Spinewire

Spinewire Member

I really hope they add something to allow me to shoot at the moon even if i can't go there i keep scrolling to far out and ending up looking at it's stupid blank expression... it's mocking me and need to be taught a lesson.
  8. jubez81

jubez81 New Member

did anyone notice tech 2 Nuke launcher is buildable this patch? cant get it to workt hough if its like TA got to build the nuke first i went through every key on my keyboard hoping to land the hotkey nothing :( Even built one super close tot he enemy thinking it was a range issue. nope :(
  9. legitlobster

legitlobster Member

The launcher was in from the beginning IIRC, the nuke itself has not yet been implemented though.
    So yeah, you wasted some metal :cool:
  10. drewsuser

drewsuser Active Member

I think they just put a name to the boring " base structure: if you're seeing this, something's" wrong description and renamed it. Probably to let players know it will be coming soon. I fell for it and spent around four minutes building it to find out I couldn't use it. :x I just hope it will be like TA, and you can launch it anywhere on the planet when finished, though.
  11. irregularprogramming

irregularprogramming Member

An inter-planetary ballistic missile (IPBM) :mrgreen: would be really neat. Landing units won't always be feasible and if so I really don't think that your only choice should be to destroy the planet.
  12. legitlobster

legitlobster Member

That is what I thought. I wonder that this thread is getting so little attention even though it's about huge guns.
  13. antillie

antillie Member

I like big guns and I cannot lie.
  14. soghog

soghog Member

I remember reading (though I can't remember where) that there will in fact be big artillery called... the mavor. :mrgreen:

Also I thought I heard something about "activating" the metal planet into an actual, for-real death star. So there's that too.
  15. legitlobster

legitlobster Member

I would be glad if the mavor came back! I sure loved my Mavors, would love to have them again!

Oh god, yes, please.
  16. Laryakan

Laryakan New Member

We defenetly need an Orbital Cannon !

Yes, we also need countermeasure... But If ennemies dont know on which planet you are, and if you're ally with other commanders on your planet, you can finish your cannon. Also, we Orbital Cannon will need a big huge cooldown (5 to 10 minutes to load/reload it). If you shoot on an empty planet, your shoot is wasted
  17. cmdandy

cmdandy Active Member

I too would love to see planet to planet weaponry. Since there is no space combat (understandably) it does seem a very logical and necessary addition to the game. How would you clear a beach head on an occupied world without one? Seems a bit of a shame if you just have to send hundreds of units into the grinder!
  18. rabidfrog

rabidfrog Member

I think this sounds like an idea that would be awesome if it had a limited interplanetary range; i.e you can bombard your enemies base from a different planet, when they pass each other in orbit, which should be on a cycle of 1-10 mins and customisable from the procedural gen.
  19. cmdandy

cmdandy Active Member

For sure, ideally any planet-planet weapons would take into account the orbits of the two planets. To blast yourself a beach head before an assault you should need to wait for the target location to come into your LOS. Well, that would be true for direct fire kinetic weapons anyway.

That would be AWESOME. I hope this gets implemented/included!
  20. jjffjhjf

jjffjhjf New Member

Actually even with direct fire kinetic weapons, with smart munitions like we have these days, you could fire it in ways that take advantage of gravity wells to slingshot your munition around your own planets gravity well, the moon, the sun, or whatever else was necessary to get it to hit the target with a fair degree of accuracy, though of course, these shots would take FOREVER to actually hit their intended target.