Interplanetary Artillery

Discussion in 'PA: TITANS: General Discussion' started by amphok, September 29, 2015.

1. amphok

amphok Member

what about a sort of big bertha/mavor that shoots from a planet to another, like the unit cannon?
    Last edited: September 29, 2015
  2. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

Commander snipe much?
    Remy561 and igncom1 like this.
  3. andreasgg

andreasgg Well-Known Member

From my point of view that would only be possible if uber implemented shields as well. I like it though, but uber has said no to shields so
    Nicb1 and Remy561 like this.
  4. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

why shouldn´t it without? .. TA had berthas and no shields .. and worked well ...
    also shields are too much a general projectilecounter

rather a general matchender if uncontested even if the commander would be on the move it would attack the base if scouted ... and considering the travelltimedifference between planets i don´t see why the commander shouldn´t have enough time to dodge shoots ..

overall it would be the same case with titans and any other doomsday weapon (like scathis and mavor artillery in SupCom which chew through shield like no tomorow ) .. those things tend to be superexpensive ... which mostly means if the opponent managed to build/a bunch of them while holding you off then you lost already anyway ..

just make them expensive and energydemanding .. add fair health and rather slow projektilespeed ...

modders may try a global artillery with these traits .. see how that may play out ..
    in price i would say those things should be as or even more expensive than the ragnarök
  5. emraldis

emraldis Post Master General

Just make it a titan that everyone can see, like the ragnarok, and we'd probably be fine.
  6. huangth

huangth Active Member

I don't like this idea.
    Unlike the unit cannon, this arty can directly deal damage to the enemy.
    And what is its counter method?

Unit cannon -> umbrella, titan, bomber, basic ground units
    Nuke -> anti nuke
    Orbital units -> umbrella, catapult, bluehawk, stingray, orbital units

cross planet arty -> only itself?

If a unit or building has no counter method, it become a kind of game enders, such as Halley or Catalyst.
    Or that is what you want?
    devoh likes this.
  7. amphok

amphok Member

we can all agree that commander need upgrade for a better survivability in late game, anyway

we don't need shield, we need perhaps, something that can redirect project or destroy them altogether

why you need to counter it? this isn't a nuke, at best it can deal something like 10k or 20k damage with small aoe, nothing like a nuke, and it would cost a tons of metal more than a ragnarok like someone suggested, it would simply be a pretty strong late game

i like this, make it a titan sounds cool
  8. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

Sorry for misunderstanding, but what is the difference between this and a unit cannon loaded with boom bots?
    devoh and cptconundrum like this.
  9. g0hstreaper

g0hstreaper Well-Known Member

I believe this idea has come up 5...maybe 6 times and while I have again blindly ignored the other enlightened posts because reason. Leme tell you why this will be a bad idea.

1) It destroys the now finally sorta meta, why build any unit when you could just build 1 thing that would kill anything on your planet and any other.
    2) This would remove any desire to go orbital (If there even is one). Besides the gas giant NO WHERE IS SAFE due to again...interplanetary.
    3) Might as well remove the unit cannon then...oh wait.
    4) The dev team needs to finish a few other things before they start to work on another dead horse community idea #Stealth #Shields#Any dingus with an opinion who thinks they know better than the dev's.

Thank you for voicing your thoughts (because this is what reminds uber to do their job) but please do check past posts before posting another dead horse community idea.
  10. amphok

amphok Member

i think you didn't understand this isn't a thing that you can build before going on other planet, you need tons of metal, basically when this is build after you have other planet secured, it's a counter to the planetary expansion, not mean to prevent it

it's not a game breaking, you can still use other tactic, also your first point is kind moot, there are already overlapping units in the game
  11. amphok

amphok Member

i guess this is more devastating, you don't need to micro, but on the other hand it's more slow to destroy unprotected outpost
  12. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Id love the mod.

But I prefer the need for local artillery in vanilla, as otherwise being able to build anywhere isn't as special or useful.

Not my flavor flave.
  13. MrTBSC

the commander doesn't need upgrades ... it just needs to be generaly good ..

upgrades add unnessary complexity that punishes players that don't use them ..

people who talk about the unitcannon should allways know that it can be easily countered with umbrellas and catapults not so artillery and artillery often is only realy effective with intel ...
  14. Remy561

Remy561 Post Master General

I'd like it if shields to counter it are implemented as well. Nothing would suck more than being bombarded at a random time from a far away planet when you have nothing to counter it.
  15. amphok

amphok Member

well if you buff the commander it may be overpowered early, that's why you need some upgrade, i can't think of anything else, to boost teh commander in late game only

you can do one upgrade only that buff the commander for late game, and it is available at tech 2 only
  16. MrTBSC

how about regen ..
    give the comm a default hp buff to 18500 .. which is still in the range of a double nuke/manhattan add a regen of say +10 per second 1 or 2 or so minutes after the last damage has been dealt
  17. huangth

huangth Active Member

After reading his reply, I think he wants a new game ender.
    The features are listed here.
    1. It can fire to other planets.
    2. Very expansive. Even more expansive than Ragnarok.
    3. No counter method to avoid its damage
    4. Provide huge damage (10K+ damage per shell)
    I think its fire power is weaker than catalyst since it can't destroy the entire planet.
    However, once it is ready, it stops other players to make any game enders
    since it can take out unfinished halley or catalyst easily.

Unlike the catalyst, this cross planet arty can be built on any planet.
    I still don't think this arty is a good idea.
    It makes the map design become problematic.

It is not a true game ender, but it neutralizes other game enders.
    In my opinion, it may make the game duration longer and unable to get finished.
    cptconundrum likes this.
  18. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

The issue with this idea is that it encourages excessive turtling. Currently, there really isn't any weapon (ragnarok and nuke excluded) that can wipe enemies from almost anywhere with little chance of immediate retribution. Adding an autofire arty to the mix would not help matters. It would encourage more turtling, which is something the game doesn't need.
    cptconundrum and huangth like this.
  19. MrTBSC

that is rather due to PA's problem not being able to easily invade without the use of teleports ..
    i think once multiunittransports and orbital carriers are a thing people would have more options to quickly respond to such threats

i think the artilleries damage shouldn't be more than 3k per hit though
  20. huangth

huangth Active Member

I think multi-unit space transports can help very little.
    It is cheaper and more available than Helios.
    But in the late game, I think Helios is still better than transports.

The difficulty of planetary invasion occurs in late game.
    There are too many umbrella under the ground, and the air units with some Zeus are patrolling the planet.
    And the most frustrating is the enemy nukes.
    Once you hold a little place on enemy planet, you can build many AA and umbrella immediately.
    But you need more time to build the anti nuke.

If there are too many anchors surrounding the planet, this can make it even worse.
    Fortunately, it only occurs in small planet.

Another problem must be discussed here, water!
    Since the teleporter can't transfer the naval units,
    it is very difficult for water planet to invade the land planet.
    This is also true for land planet to invade a water planet
    because water units is stronger than land units.
    Teleporter is not so useful in this situation.
    Players better use the orbital fabricator to directly build the titan on the target planet.
    cptconundrum likes this.