Insta-Exploding nukes

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by igncom1, November 3, 2012.

1. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Will we be seeing a return of the TA quick exploding nuke, rather then the SupCom I'll take 5 seconds to explode nuke?

Nobody like being on the end of a nuclear exploding, but I don't imagine robots being particularly bothered by smoke and radiation, and depending on the fire, That might mot even be effective either.

The vision blocking cloud is also kinda unnecessary and is very annoying when trying to rebuild.
  2. supremevoid

supremevoid Member

Remember "War" is "ALWAYS" unfair.
    For me its not annoying its cool to see some cool visual effects.
    Last edited: November 3, 2012
  3. igncom1

True enough, could we see thorough the cloud by making a virtual or cartographic view for the stuff behind it, while retaining the mushrooms looks?
  4. supremevoid

supremevoid Member

If I understand you right.Yes of course.In other RTS games like The settlers there was a feature like this.This feature is that you can see Unit with outlinings behind buildings.
  5. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

The mushroom cloud only happens as a result of the planet's atmosphere. Hot air rises, after all. It also becomes more spherical at extreme sizes (TZAR).
  6. igncom1

From what I know, yes.

But here I was concerned about the looks of the Nuke being too long whined and overly showy for what it does.

The cloud in games like SupCom often felt extremely annoying in the way it blocks you from seeing whats left and trying to plan the rebuilding of your base.

The TA nuke seems to me to be the most minimalistic way of doing it, just getting the damage done and over with so the game can carry on.
  7. zordon

zordon Member

Oh no your nuking my base is causing me a disadvantage!
  8. igncom1

You nuke shouldn't hang over the battlefield, if you get nuked then just do the damage and let me carry on.

All the flashiness of the cloud and the drawn out effect is pointless gameplay wise.
  9. ajoxer

ajoxer Member

I'd say the wireframe idea sounds good. Have a wireframe visible through visual effects- Nuclear explosions, etcetera- so as to maintain understandability.
  10. zordon

zordon Member

I really don't see why occluding the battlefield can't be one of the disadvantages of getting nuked. I dont wan't a crappy wireframe nuke. It's a nuke, give it the respect it deserves.
  11. igncom1

By replacing it with asteroids?

Really I don't see why it should, and why its exploding takes so long, effects just get in the way.
  12. thapear

thapear Member

Nukes are being replaced with asteroids now, is that so...
    I believe the mushroom cloud to just be an additional effect of the nuke, occluding view for a bit. I think they got the time it took for the effect to disappear in SupCom pretty right.
  13. igncom1

If we are taking about end-game across the map super weapons, then yes, I think so.

But please under stand what I mean, Is it a good idea to for 1, have the effect obscure you view.

And 2 to have the explosion last longer then the TA nuke? I don't feel its necessary.

If the point is to extend the horror of nuclear war, then surly the best thing to do would be to display how quickly it can destroy its target.
  14. elexis

elexis Member

Because this is a 3d solar system I want all my planets to be wireframe. I want to be able to see whats happening on other planets through my planet, otherwise its just to obstructive.

And a wireframe sun as well.
  15. igncom1

Wouldn't you just wire frame the units when something is in front of them?
  16. Regabond

Regabond Member

The nukes in TA were impressive at the time, but something like that quick everything-is-dead-explosion-instantly would feel pretty terrible in a larger scale, more modern game. One reason the nukes in supcom lasted so long was likely because your match was slowing down from so much going on at the time. Larger games could easily slow down to half speed or slower if you were playing with a few AI or someone with a slow computer.

Overall, the nuke explosion from supcom maybe obscured your vision for like 10 seconds. There are few things that need to be done to anything that might of survived a nuke within 10 seconds. I'm not really seeing how it detracted from your gameplay.

But since a game must be both appealing in gameplay and visually, any nukes or super weapons needs to be done correctly with plenty of stuff going on.
  17. LoAmmi

LoAmmi New Member

This makes me wonder: what if there were weapons designed specifically to occlude the player's view? Giant smoke bombs or something. Maybe it would just be hokey, but if it were done right it could be a another option for stealth. I would imagine that certain types of planets, such as gas giants, might have naturally occurring storms that obstruct visuals to some degree or at least reduce los for the units that are in it.
  18. igncom1

Not a bad idea, fits in well with the whole war of intelligence thing.
  19. igncom1

Your not wrong, but 10 Seconds in most RTS games can be quite a long time don't you agree?

And a nuclear weapon is a WMD, and rite fully so, but that doesn't mean it should put on a show, just get there and do what I built it for killing bases and reducing lag.

Less effects and more clearing bases.
  20. elexis

elexis Member

In a game that might last over an hour (and probably already has give there are nukes involved)? In an aread were pretty much everything just died? I don't see the problem with not being able to see for 10 seconds, and it isnt a long time at all.