I'm going to seriously cry..

Discussion in 'Support!' started by rimizak, August 10, 2014.

1. rimizak

rimizak Member

I've had this game since alpha, I knew it had such great potential. The problem was I could never run it. Even though people said I'd be able to I never could. I re-tried every few months but to no avail. Recently I heard of the optimization patch so I decided to try it again, AND IT DOESN"T WORK. I've gotten it to run before (RARELY) and its not the actual game FPS thats the problem, its LOADING it. The game always crashes while its loading. I tried everything, multiplayer, multiplayer but offline with bots, even singleplayer! It always crashes while loading! To the point where I almost have to restart my computer since Ctrl Alt Delete stops working. I've tried nearly everything in the line of fixing it. Updating graphics cards, verifying game files, even using the non-steam launcher because of some "works better with AMD" myth. I'm just so sad at this point that I spent 90 dollars on a game that when nearly complete I can barely play it still. Please, please help me. I've uploaded the dxdiag as requested on the steam forums to this post. Thanks in advanced.

Attached Files:

2. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

4 GB of RAM is barely enough for this game; I have 6 and I could still use some more. Really for optimal experience you need 8 GB+.

Get more ram and you should be good to go.
    Shwyx likes this.
  3. rimizak

rimizak Member

*facepalm* im using a laptop...
    WELL there goes the idea of playing PA.
  4. Shwyx

Shwyx Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure your GPU (Radeon 7420G) is the cause of your troubles. According to a quick check on a benchmarking site, it only scores 40% of the performance of an HD 4850, which is one of the cards recommended as the game's minimum (!) system requirement.
    kjotak109 likes this.
  5. stuart98

His 3GB RAM and the GPU are both issues then. Either one will prevent him from playing the game.
    kjotak109 likes this.
  6. rimizak

rimizak Member

This is uh. This is quite sad. Truly unfortunate.
  7. Imsvale

Imsvale Active Member

Enough RAM or not, GPU good enough or not, the game needs to tell you these things if they're true. Certainly it can't just go and crash because of it. Uber should be aware of the specific requirements (minimum), and I'm sure they are. If these are truly not met, this result is inelegant to say the least. And if they are, then the problem is something else that Uber needs to look into.

Not that it helps the situation here.
  8. rimizak

rimizak Member

I was thinking this too but I didn't want to look like a ****..because back during pre alpha I don't remember them even ballparking the specs you'd need. I knew that they had said during alpha it was very poorly optimized but they never said how optimized it would become.

No offense Uber you're still awesome and all.
    kjotak109 likes this.
  9. stuart98

You really can't know how optimized something will become. You optimize something as much as you can, but you really can't know how optimized that is until you do it.
    FSN1977 likes this.
  10. Imsvale

Imsvale Active Member

Yeah, but now they're being loud about 1.0, so this really needs to be in place for that. :) So this might well be an issue they've overlooked, unless they're still a bit fuzzy on exact requirements. Which would surprise me.

Still no excuse to just go and crash. ;)
  11. Shwyx

Shwyx Well-Known Member

I just read that you're running the game on a laptop; in that case, the GPU probably isn't as big an issue. The game is known to run fine on Intel HD 3000 cards which are even less powerful than your GPU.

@stuart98 is probably right that the 3 GB RAM are the prime suspect; the weak GPU doesn't help, sure, but isn't the sole cause.
  12. rimizak

rimizak Member

Im not so good with the actual INSIDES of computers, so just checking, you can't add more RAM onto a laptop correct?
  13. stuart98

If you can open it up then you can add more ram. The only difference between a laptop and a desktop is the built in monitor really.

There's a decent likely-hood that it's already got all of its ram slots filled, in which case you'll have to get larger sticks rather than more sticks.
    kjotak109 likes this.
  14. rimizak

rimizak Member

15. kjotak109

kjotak109 Well-Known Member

No, you won't erase data by replacing a RAM stick. Your data will be just fine.
  16. Shwyx

Shwyx Well-Known Member

No. You'd just be upgrading a component with no data lost. Your machine's hard drive - the HDD - is storing your data; the RAM is there for the everyday computing / workload it has to do.
  17. rimizak

rimizak Member

alright so assuming I can open my laptop no problem, how much would this cost me (about)? To get PA working?
  18. stuart98

~$40-50 for a single four gb stick of ram.

Make sure that you get the right kind of ram, as some motherboards are compatible with ddr2 while others are with ddr3. Get the wrong type of ram and it won't work. A quick google search should help you find the tools to find out which kind you have.
  19. rimizak

rimizak Member

Thanks so much, I suppose I'll be hittin up best buy sometime soon :D
    EDIT: just to check so lets say I had 8 gigs of RAM, would my GPU still be a big enough issue that it'd prevent it from running smoothly?
    Last edited: August 10, 2014
  20. Imsvale

Imsvale Active Member

You could try posting the log file as well. It's located here:

%LOCALAPPDATA%\Uber Entertainment\Planetary Annihilation\log

which amounts to

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Uber Entertainment\Planetary Annihilation\log

Keep in mind it will have folder paths with your username in it, so you might want to edit that out.