If I have TITANS, is vanilla PA still needed?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by brandonpotter, August 18, 2015.

1. brandonpotter

brandonpotter Well-Known Member

As teh title says. Just making sure, but If I download PAT (PA:Titans), do I still need the original Planetary Annihilation game installed?

And will all the custom commanders I bought be carried over?
  2. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Titans is capable of playing vanilla games, there is an option to switch the content level. If you have titans you can play with people who only have vanilla in vanilla games.

Custom commanders carry over.
  3. brandonpotter

I was actually meaning, if I need to have both actual games installed :D

Unless its standalone like Forged Alliance is to SupCom :D
  4. cola_colin

It is like FA, but unlike FA you can set an option and play vanilla inside titans as well.
  5. brandonpotter

Goodie, Now I can save some space on my Harddrive :D

Now if only Uber made/released working importer/exporters for some of the top modelling programs like 3DS Max :p

Id be able to port my own Forged Alliance 'Titan' to PA :p
  6. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

@jables Perhaps it would be a good idea to stop selling PA on steam to remove the confusion that's inevitably going to result?

I'd hate to see people buying vanilla Planetary Annihilation thinking that it's Titans and I'm sure @mkrater would rather have a few less support emails to deal with. :)
    mkrater likes this.
  7. brandonpotter

I dont think they are selling Vanilla PA on steam anymore. I just checked, and the option to buy it isnt there anymore.
    mkrater likes this.
  8. stuart98

It was when I checked right before I posted that.
  9. brandonpotter

And now its not :p Must just happened.

Unfortunatly all the steam forums are just exploding with hate... Just becuase the current owners dont get it for free... My god.... And they called Uber greedy.... Hypocrites much?
  10. theseeker2

theseeker2 Well-Known Member

Man I like their development style - the community was torn between wanting superunits and not wanting superunits so they gave an option for both
  11. brandonpotter

Indeed. its nice, but the average immature gamer these days are never happy unless its all 'free'.

'Free' doesnt pay the bills. and they dont get that.
  12. sanyc

sanyc New Member

I paid 60$ for the beta, but the game never felt remotely complete."100+units" my ***, the game has a total of 3 factories with marginal differences between the units. The entire game is essentially who can create the biggest blob of units. It never attained the depth of any of the other RTS games I own.

I'm angry. I understand that this is necessary so Uber can stay in business, but please don't say the base game was finished. That's bullshit. Before I buy the DLC, I want an apology. I can't bring myself to buy from a cooperate entity scrambling to cover its ***, but I can buy from a collection of humans who have made mistakes while trying to create the best possible game for gamers.
  13. sanyc

sanyc New Member

(Oops, I clicked reply instead of edit! sry)
    stuart98 likes this.
  14. brandonpotter

Um...Where was it officially stated that the base game was 'Finished'? No where. The game is still being tweaked, and optimized. New Features are also squeezing their way in.
    stuart98 likes this.
  15. stuart98

3 factories?

T1 bots
    T2 bots
    T1 air
    T2 air
    T1 naval
    T2 naval
    T1 tanks
    T2 tanks
    Orbital Launcher
    Orbital Factory

10 factories, and that's not counting the unit cannon or the lob.
  16. brandonpotter

D
    Dont you just LOVE it when people dont do any kind of research then blab stuff that makes them look stupid?
    stuart98 likes this.
  17. sanyc

sanyc New Member

Key words: marginal difference between the units.

All the units I can remember:

Basic damage dealers.
    long range tank.
    close range tank.
    bomber plane.
    skirmisher plane.
    fighter.
    arty.
    heavy aty.
    Orbital lasers.

This game has 9 units to me.

Bots.
    Tanks.
    Orbital.
    Sea.

This game has *4 factories to me. (The orbital factory has the same units as the launcher. The units canon is a land fac that throws things.)

The base game is unfinished. None of these units have any meaningful interactions with each other. None of them are particularly interesting. Orbital is insanely simplistic. Trying to control multiple planets is impossibly difficult. They have this fantastic feature, multiple planets, but the standard RTS UI, so controlling multiple planets is almost beyond the scope of mortals. Still no other game-modes other then assassination. Before titans, no meaningful way to resolve sieges between planets.

Don't get me wong: I like lots of things about PA. Multiple planets are cool. The super-weapons are cool. The macro game is solid. The transition between t1 and t2 is surprisingly smooth (this fits into the "macro is solid" part"). Units canons are awesome. Massive fleets of death-lasers and spaceships are awesome.

But, in my opinion, the game requires:

- A better UI
    - More interesting units/ strategic options involving units.
    - A game-mode where the commander is irrelevant
    - More interesting orbital.
    - Additional ways to attack/ protect planets.

to be considered complete.

(Addressing Brandon: I think a game should be "complete" when its comes out of early access, or at least not missing major-ly important game-play features..)

I'm no longer as angry with Uber 'cause a employee basic-ly said: "Yeah. We know our game is still imperfect. We need to sell titans so we can keep working on it".

I'll probably buy it when I get more steam monies.

I like Uber more then I like you Brandon :mad:
  18. cola_colin

I recommend you play titans, the gameplay really has improved a lot.
    Yes it's still imperfect in some way or the other, but just as you have been told: Uber really can be trusted to continue work on it as long as they financially can somehow manage it.
    meir22344 likes this.
  19. ikickasss

ikickasss Active Member

I had over 1k hours of pa. I wanted to support these guys. For 14 this titans well worth it
    meir22344 and Nicb1 like this.