Idea for grenadiers

Discussion in 'Balance Discussions' started by Obscillesk, January 4, 2015.

1. Obscillesk

Obscillesk Active Member

I don't know if this would devour hardware, but instead of increasing their health or giving them more aoe, what about having the grenades bounce with a short fuse? If they detonated on contact with an enemy I think they'd start to be useful against swarms. Regardless, a range increase would do wonders.

edit: alternately, rename them Mortars and give them a huge range increase and a speed/rof decrease.
  2. Deletive

Deletive Member

The unit itself needs a redesign, from looks to damage/health. IMO
    stuart98 likes this.
  3. nick2k

nick2k Active Member

I kinda like the way it looks. The spinning wheels on the barrels look cool to me.
  4. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

Looks more like a gatling gun with them spinning all the time. Should only spin once every time it fires, like a revolver or an IRL grenade launcher.
    KNight likes this.
  5. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Its not too hard to explain how it'd work, it could wor sisimilar to how planes machine guns wI'll be able to fire and never hit the roter on the nose of the aircraft, except instead of evading raters the hammer tries to hit the grenadies, and as the cartcartridge spins the now empty area is filled with a new grenade.
    Last edited: January 5, 2015
  6. stuart98

What?
  7. squishypon3

Its supposed to say as... accidently messed up.

Anyway it's pretty simple, I'll make a picture.
  8. squishypon3

@stuart98

Hope this helps with the visualization.

[​IMG]
    optimi and radongog like this.
  9. stuart98

Why does it have to be spinning all of the time?

Who thought that this was a good idea?

Yell at them, whoever they were.

If present day grenade launchers don't need some spinning all of the time nonsense, then why should these ultra futuristic and perfected over thousands of years robots need them?
  10. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Except that still doesn't deal with the fact that the Grenadiers firing isn't sync'd with the magazine's rotation at all.

That's the Problem.

Mike
    stuart98 likes this.
  11. squishypon3

Because nobody feels like making it actually spin at the right time I guess, hehe.

Besides it's interesting. One of the most interesting units in the game, this all just feels a bit nit picky, no?
  12. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

I actually like this idea but I'm not sure how having something random like a bouncing projectile would work with competitive games.

There should also be some kind of shotgun bot to fill the inferno-type role.

If anyone actually needs some ideas for weapons look here for luls

The possibilities are endless when you have the greatest weapon wiki available to you. Imagine a unit that has this!
    stuart98 likes this.
  13. KNight

We should be Critical about things when people claim them to be, effectively, "good enough".

To me things like the Grenadier's endlessly spinning barrels are very symbolic of PA's biggest issue, a general lack of follow through. Often this is followed up by Dev insistence that it's "How we wanted it to be".

Mike
    stuart98 likes this.
  14. squishypon3

I suppose, but I think there are much bigger issues in the game that we should focus on then some models not syncing with their weapons, just my opinion.
  15. KNight

That kind of brings it back full circle, if there were bigger fish to fry why they they even start frying the grenadier fish at all?

I also don't believe we shouldn't be critical of "smaller" stuff like this simply because there are "bigger" things to be critical of.

Mike
    stuart98 likes this.
  16. Obscillesk

Obscillesk Active Member

Thats a fair point though I was thinking a straight line bounce, rather than something that bounces erratically. Either way, it is more difficult to account for.

When you say that, do you mean the aesthetics of the unit or the uselessness of the unit? I mean, I'm all for synced barrels but I'd really like the unit to be worth building in the first place.
    squishypon3 likes this.
  17. KNight

Well both are issues that need solutions.

Mike
  18. squishypon3

Well yes, but which do you think deserves priority, honestly?
  19. KNight

Gameplay obviously. But U'm not going to sit around being ignorant of the lower priority issue until it's the strictly speaking the highest priority item.

Any you know why? They both share a common root. Making the Grenadier viable for gameplay could require more than just balancing stats, what if the model needs to be changed? Should we still ignore the Aesthetic issue if we're already going to be changing the model? No.

I have never said that any particular issue is more or less important than the other, when I talk about the aesthetic issue I focus on it, when I talk about the gameplay usage I focus on that, if I'm talking about both I focus on both as equally as possible.

Mike
  20. radongog

radongog Well-Known Member

OT: That sketch is looking quite well-done for tablet-painted stuff---a little bit of "scanner grain" and no sidebars and someone could imagine that it was written analog!
    B2T: I believe the main problem of the grenadier is it´s cost. You can build eight Doxes for the price of three grenadiers! EIGHT DOXES! Which are good scouts, fast and feature anti-all (well, not antiOrb!), while the only advantage of the grenadiers is that their shots are ballistic and have AOE . Right now I´ve only found out one thing to use them for and that is "poor mans pelter" on minimum size moons! :D :D :D
    Last edited: January 5, 2015