Idea: Ego perspective

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by s3r4phim, August 4, 2013.

1. s3r4phim

s3r4phim New Member

Hi everybody,

There is a feature, that I always wanted to see in a multiplayer RTS game: The ability to switch to a unit's ego perspective and control it via WASD.

There would be some kind of hotkey that would let you switch to the perspective of the unit you currently have selected and then you could walk/swim/fly with that unit using WASD and aim and shoot the unit's weapon with the mouse. The advantage of using this could be that you walk in an irregular pattern and screw up the aiming/shooting algorithms of enemy units so they won't hit you easily and you get more time to attack the enemy base. The obvious con would be that while you are doing this you cannot command your other units.

I'm not sure how difficult it would be to implement something like this, but I believe it would be very fun.

What do you think?
  2. KNight

KNight Post Master General

We've been over this several times, it's nothing more than a gimmick. Not only will the the Engine be able to control units more effectively than a player ever could. Given the scale of the game even if you could significantly improve the performance of a unit(which you can't) it doesn't matter in the grand scale of things, you might be able to kill 5 extra tanks when you control a tank, but 5 extra tanks isn't significant when the army consisted of 100+ tanks to begin with and considering how it's your specific actions that are controlling the tank and not doing other things like expanding, building more factories, build more units, commanding the army.......

In the end, it's not worth the time for Uber to create OR the Player to use. PA just isn't a good match for this.

Mike
  3. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Try Maelstrom, that game has that functionality.
  4. supremevoid

supremevoid Member

Only way I can imagine a Ego Perspective feature is if its only available to the commander.
    And this should be done by a modder not by Uber itself because it is not realy necessary.
  5. Devak

Devak Post Master General

I think there are maybe a couple.

I thought this was a super-awesome feature too, until i actually played a game that had this feature (can't recall the name) and felt that, though i improved 1 unit's skill, i decreased the skill of my 50 supporting archers since they were now running on AI in stead of my supervision.

in an RTS, your brainpower is much more needed to move units around properly than to buff 1 guy.

EDIT:
    Carrier Command: GAIA mission does this too. Although i believe that for this game, the feature is more useable than for PA
  6. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Hostile Waters in like one of the few games that makes this into an integral part of the games mechanics, and it is cool there.
  7. maeode

maeode New Member

I remember a game that combined RTS and FPS quite well...

One team was the RTS, sending swarms of units to try and take an objective.
    The other team was FPS, and had to constantly destroy all the units the RTS player sent at them.

Was super fun, maybe a PA mod for this could one day become a reality :3
  8. lazeruski

lazeruski Active Member

i think Earth 2160 had it too...
    bat nah, could be cool, but not necessary
  9. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

Lol first person Commander...
    Step 1: Perch Comm on mesa
    Step 2: First person
    Step 3: Fire Uber Cannon at the range of a Lobber

No seriously, the Uber Cannon projectile has a maximum range similar to that of a Lobber, unaffected by gravity though.
  10. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

Gimmick is a great word to describe it.

From what I've seen, armies on average are 100+. Controlling 1 tank like that would be fruitless. You'd be controlling one tank while your opponent is building his economy and building 50 more units and you'll fall behind in nothing flat.

If you want to control your tank with WASD, go try World of Tanks or something.
  11. zaphodx

zaphodx Post Master General

Ummm, yes it's a bit of a gimmick but I sure as hell want a unit-view cam mode. It would make casts terribly exciting to zoom into the POV of important units and view confrontations from the ground.
  12. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

13. ohhhshiny

ohhhshiny Active Member

You can zoom in close and have an overall-view, thats more than enough.
  14. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

I can see this being fun/usefull for the comander.

Check out the heavy metal videos, that game wasn't published but it did just that.
  15. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Fixed. Given the game and my experience with a similar feature in Spring I doubt a player could better control a commander in first person than a player issuing regular orders. In particular with any Combat related activities.

Mike