Human Resource as a DLC for PA?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by verybad, November 15, 2014.

1. verybad

verybad Active Member

I like the idea of Cthuluesque enemies/units for the game, and I would like an option to play PA with non identical units.

So perhaps make Lava planets more valuable to a Cthulhu race (give them something like a demigod summoning pit that can only be built on lava planets and can destroy planets much like the metal planet laser for example.

Make a new terrain feature, cities that can occur on any planet but mostly on Terran planets. This would act as a valuable resource for Cthulhu races, less so for robot races. It would also have some self defenses. Give Cthulhu races supportable hero units for example that can feast on cities to improve their abilities...

Flying units as dragons, water units as kraken, there's a lot of fun to be had with this.

There's no reason to let the idea die as it's a good idea IMO, I just think it was presented too quickly after PA was released, and many players want expansions on this game rather than a brand new game.
  2. eroticburrito

eroticburrito Post Master General

[​IMG]
  3. lokiCML

lokiCML Post Master General

It's a great idea the only thing is does Uber have the resources to do it at the moment? I like the idea and think about this idea too.;)
    if HR was funded would've been beneficial to PA as well. They could have back ported bug fixes and features to PA.:(
  4. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

Originally revolting, but somewhat intriguing.

My vote: Meh?
  5. nixtempestas

nixtempestas Post Master General

I never liked the idea of human resources (rather disturbing really) so I'm very much a meh on this one as well.

having an organic faction of monsters would be neat, but as soon as humans start getting slaughtered I start getting squeamish.

besides, humans don't really work in PA lore wise.
  6. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Well, there isn't anything to say that they actually died out or were all exterminated, just that the war ended and they haven't shown up.
  7. GoodOak

GoodOak Active Member

They just laid off most of the people who would have worked on it. Also, Scathis (project lead, I think?) confirmed the project to be "dead" in an interview with some guy on youtube.

See that video around 50 min. The rest has nothing to do with HR, PA ... or, anything even slightly useful as far as I can tell.
    Last edited: November 16, 2014
    eroticburrito, radongog and trialq like this.
  8. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

9. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

HR as its own game? yes
    hr as dlc part of pa? heeell nooooo!
    bengeocth, vyolin and radongog like this.
  10. zweistein000

zweistein000 Post Master General

11. radongog

radongog Well-Known Member

At least he seems to know that it was not a fail of the games concept. The trailer was gorgeous, definitly one of the most memorable trailers of the year. He seems to know what killed the game...
    ...and I still hope will get something like it one day that should feel at least a LITTLE similar to the vision presented in that trailer!

I do totally agree on that. Should really be no way to go for them!
  12. Crembels

Crembels Member

Having the Cthulhu enemies just 'appear' in the PA universe isn't nearly engaging enough. While i love the gist of the idea there is no way i can see it being implemented in an engaging manner without bringing with it some serious characterization and actual story driven campaign.

The progenitor had to deal with the Xhiphid, and it was a galaxy-wide war effort to defeat them. In the many years that the progenitor fought them (and shown in the lore tidbits on the GW maps) many acts of heroism and valor were recorded by generals and soldiers alike all across the galaxy. There would be some intense personal sacrifices and hard decisions made during that conflict that would have weighed down on those involved for decades after the fact.

The HR Cthulhu monsters should be treated the same way. The Commanders are anything but mindless robots, they come across as completely sapient creatures with intelligence that rivals or exceeds humanity, and i'm sure that similar to the Seraphim Invasion of Supreme Commander; the threat of total destruction at the hands of a marauding alien species would be enough for them to forget their differences for a little while.

Having them just appear as another enemy that they deal with in the same way they do each other would be kinda dull. They are fighting against Gods, and in the face of such a threat I want to see the factions lash together machines of such absolute, obliterating power that they would make the Annihilaser look like a squirt gun.
  13. verybad

verybad Active Member

Wgt? Nothing forcving you or others to buy a DLC of this nature.
    tatsujb likes this.
  14. MrTBSC

i dont want it as dlc ... i want it as its own game
  15. verybad

verybad Active Member

Yeah, but we already know that ain't gonna happen. I want loads of DLC for PA, and a different army would be great.
  16. MrTBSC

i donĀ“t want dlc for it at all ...
    rather updates as we get them currently
  17. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

...thanks for reminding us all about that? Must make someone happy... ...but don't mind me, continue to enjoy your PA updates you swore you would never get... serverside offline, ranked, ladder, mapmaker, you will likely eventually get a unit cannon...
  18. GoodOak

GoodOak Active Member

Did you mean to address that to me?
  19. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Meh, I meant to mope. I was addressing that into the open, as if the devil were in that void you stare off into when your mind goes blank, and I were addressing him.

Seriously, I know my ****, I base my **** very solidly off my own calculations, I am like Aperture Labs, my science isn't rendered from handholding. And it is my own conclusion, that Human Resources was a pretty big missed opportunity. The development of Uber as a company, of the engine of PA, and of PA, probably all suffers from the path it went down.

Which is totally unjust considering how good the development actually is, people nitpick their personal agenda but any sensible person can have 20 different shades of fun with PA and I play the hell out of it without anything really ever spoiling it for me. Whereas, I only lost interest more and more in AAA games from certain companies I have harped on more than enough, and since people don't question them and just buy their stuff, they are financially set regardless of their work quality. Uber has all the motivation in the world to make contributions to their industry, benefit to them as well as obvious personal drive. EA has no motivation whatsoever.
    MrTBSC likes this.
  20. GoodOak

GoodOak Active Member

Not totally sure I follow ... I'm not by any means glad that HR didn't work out. We're all the poorer for it not being made.

I pledged $90 the moment I saw the trailer, and eventually dropped it to $1 when Uber wouldn't commit to any sort of offline play. Then they cancelled the whole thing anyway. Even if it wasn't the game for me personally, I'd rather that Uber succeeded. I just hope that they can use the feedback from the whole awkward episode with HR and move on.

Not sure what their next move is, but I've certainly got no ill will toward them. PA is rough around the edges, but it's still a fun game and I suspect that between mods and dev support it'll become a little more polished.