How to use the new non-Titan units

Discussion in 'PA: TITANS: General Discussion' started by stevenrs11, August 20, 2015.

1. stevenrs11

stevenrs11 Active Member

Obviously the focus of this dlc are the Titans, but t1 and t2 units got some love too! Let's not overlook them just because they are so tiny.

So, I've been playing a bit (aka obsessively since Titans) and have taken a liking to the spark. I tend to replace ants/bolos/small tank thing with them in my compositions in situations where I am mass limited.

They wreck so hard if you have enough of them because of the splash damage, and take virtually no losses. It seems like a threshold thing, where their massive alpha strike damage is enough to obliterate anything in range, giving them time to recharge.

How do you use them?

What about the nanite clouds, manhattans, and the other non-Titan new units?

The nanites are great 'attention' weapons IMO. Build a group of 7-8 and have them area patrol over half the map, and they race around sniping mex faster than the opponent can react. Bombs miss them, as do solitary tanks, so it takes quite a bit of effort to get rid of them. Or gunships.
    stuart98 likes this.
  2. philoscience

philoscience Post Master General

Great thread. So the nanite swarms are really great to clean out a base quickly. While your main force engages the enemy, micro the swarms to make any buildings vaporize instantly. One question I have is are people finding effective ways to use the little electricity bots? Are they strictly defensive units? I noticed there seems to be a bug with their firing - they have a range attack, but if behind a wall it hits the wall and doesn't go past.
  3. theseeker2

theseeker2 Well-Known Member

I haven't actually used nanite swarms yet
  4. battleon81

battleon81 New Member

So are the new hovertanks basically a more expensive upgrade of the standard ones?
  5. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

I've struggled to find much of a reason to go T2 in most of my games. That said, I have only been playing the GW, so the enemy only becomes a threat if you ignore them for the first 30 mins.
  6. davostheblack

davostheblack Well-Known Member

Nanoswarms, my god

A small swarm early on can massively cripple an enemies base; I ran about 20 through some guys base yesterday and took down all his power and factories inside of some 15 seconds

My new favourite thing
    cdrkf and cptconundrum like this.
  7. LeadfootSlim

LeadfootSlim Well-Known Member

Fun fact: Hover units are immune to torpedoes! This makes both hovertanks and the T2 hoverboats useful for cracking ocean defenses, unless the enemy peppers in some artillery or laser towers.

Manhattans are OP as hell, though. Unless you have a strong air game, artillery, or sniper bots, they're guaranteed damage. The intended downside of friendly fire rarely comes into play, especially when you get into interplanetary...
    davostheblack likes this.
  8. davostheblack

davostheblack Well-Known Member

Manhattans are 8k Metals worth of slow-moving priority target. Tough, yes, but certainley not invinsible
  9. Bbrink1996

Bbrink1996 New Member

Yesterday I build a swarm of 200 nanobots, sent them through a teleporter and the enemy's base got eaten in seconds. The enemy commander was last to go but it was spectacular.
    DeathByDenim and dom314 like this.
  10. stevenrs11

stevenrs11 Active Member

I think I may have a new favorite unit- the archangel. Mix them with anything that has some health and they never die. I particularly like mixing them with gunships and ground based AA.

The mobile air blob can fly around eating just about anything on the ground and taking no damage due to the combined missile interception and repair, and if fighters are closing in fly back over the ground AA.

Mixing your own fighters doesn't actually work very well because they have too little health to be healed effectively and fly out of range.
  11. dreadnought808

dreadnought808 Member

I throw sparks into my main attack force- like Steven said, they've got one hell of a punch.

The nanites are absolutely LETHAL if they manage to get through the base defences. I've done some very impressive backdoor attacks with a swarm of them while my main army creates a distraction on the front.