How to create large planetary systems?

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by sokolek, June 17, 2014.

?

Do you want larger planetary systems

1. Yes

34 vote(s)
    85.0%
  2. No

4 vote(s)
    10.0%
  3. I don't care

2 vote(s)
    5.0%
  1. sokolek

sokolek Member

In the past editor only remembered circular orbit. Now it remembers elliptical orbits, but allows small planetary systems. Orbits get red when they are too close or too far from the sun. There is no room for big and interresting systems. The orbit of a planet gets red when I want to place it far away from the sun? What's the problem with it? Is it going to be fixed? When?
    Last edited: June 17, 2014
    PeggleFrank likes this.
  2. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

I think they could do making it bigger, but they probably put it with room for cushion where you can't place it too close to break orbital pathing (because units got permanently stuck in the sun when traveling to planets too close).

There is enough room for 4 individual orbits easily, but it could always be bigger.
    PeggleFrank likes this.
  3. dionytadema

dionytadema Active Member

changing the mass of a planet allows you to place it further out, but i do agree the default mass should allow for more flexablilty
  4. vorell255

vorell255 Active Member

I think those limits are there to help with performance until they work some other things out. Otherwise people make crazy maps and then it lags / breaks and people complain / have a bad user experience.
  5. rovetjw

rovetjw Member

sure but they need to work if wo make a large system now the game gets a overload
  6. CrazyVulcan

CrazyVulcan Active Member

Largest system I've managed is five body's with six players and got real bad lag at the end. And I have a decent PC for its economical price.
  7. LeatherNeck2382

LeatherNeck2382 Member

I've done 3 Planets, 3 Moons (1 per planet) and with 6 players it got to a certain point (about 1/2-2/3) and chugged.

CPU: Intel i7-2630QM CPU @ 2.ooGHz
    GPU: GeForce GTX 560M
    Memory: 12GB RAM