How narrow is the ladder really?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by towerbabbel, November 30, 2014.

1. towerbabbel

towerbabbel Active Member

I'm starting to wonder how narrow the ladder is, skill-wise? I mean how big is the skill difference between two people 100 ranks apart?

The reason I'm wondering is because I just won a single ranked matched and jumped from 37th on Platinum to 142 on Uber. That's like almost 100 ranks.
  2. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

well who did you win against?
  3. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

It will stabilize once people have had time to play more games.
  4. mjshorty

mjshorty Well-Known Member

well, there is CERTAINLY a difference between the top 10 bronze games, top 10 gold, and top 10 uber. So thats a good thing i guess
  5. Zainny

Zainny Active Member

Has Uber provided any info on how they've implemented the ladder (rankings wise?). When adjusting your ranking is it currently taking in to account the ranking of your opponent, etc?
  6. cola_colin

No, but I am pretty sure it does, based on observations of search time, trying to match my smurf with my main for modding test reasons (90% of my attempts it doesn't work when one account is uber and the other is not) and rank changes after wins/losses.
  7. towerbabbel

towerbabbel Active Member

I don't quite remember. People have such weird names (unlike me :p).
  8. ef32

ef32 Well-Known Member

I unno, I just won my ~5th ranked game and it told me I'm UBER, and I'm amongst the TOP47 best PA players of the world. I hope this really means something, or else...
  9. emraldis

emraldis Post Master General

Keep playing, and it might.
    cptconundrum likes this.
  10. ef32

ef32 Well-Known Member

If I never play ranked again, will I stay UBER LVL forever?
  11. Murcanic

Murcanic Well-Known Member

Until enough people play and get ranked above you or until a ladder reset. There is no forever in a ranked ladder xP
  12. elodea

elodea Post Master General

The skill differences in this game are quite large and increase exponentially the higher you get. It is usually one or two people up the top vastly better than everyone else, a big gap followed by 10 to 20 high skill players, another big gap, followed by everyone else.

uber doesn't mean as much as your ranking within uber.

Right now the persons up the top skill wise are yaegz followed by clopse. But looks like matiz might make a come back and trounce everyone.
    cola_colin and zihuatanejo like this.
  13. zihuatanejo

zihuatanejo Well-Known Member

But what about your good self?! Have you slipped from your throne?! :p
  14. emraldis

emraldis Post Master General

Not sure. I haven't played since first being placed, and I'm still Platinum 1.
  15. ef32

ef32 Well-Known Member

I don't know anything about ladders, but here's my logic: there are 2 parts, one is badge and second is place. People ranked above me could push me from 47 to 47000, but I am not sure if it means droping from Uber to bronze as well.
  16. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

Really? I was ranked 6th on Platinum and haven't played for a few days and have now dropped to 8. So I guess it does change (slowly).
  17. cola_colin

I guess if you are like really high in a league below uber you can stay there for a long time, as the risk is high that players directly jump past you into the next league?
    To drop from 1 plat to 2 plat you need somebody who ends up above the first plat but below uber.
    Depending on how the league distribution works that can be quite unlikely.