How many games end with annihilation

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by bertiee, June 20, 2014.

1. bertiee

bertiee New Member

Hi all,

I've only just started playing and I've been watching some replays. In most game there seems to be a lot of spamming units but so far I've not seen anyone using Halley's. Do any games actually end in annihilation or has it just become a bit of a gimmick?

Thanks
  2. Geers

Geers Post Master General

Yes they do. But since it requires multiple planets, and the game tends to handle that very badly since it isn't fully optimised, a lot of systems are too small for that.
    PeggleFrank likes this.
  3. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

if the system is set up for it, basically every game. and it's not necessarily the end.
  4. epicblaster117

epicblaster117 Active Member

Planet Smashing is sometimes the only way to end a game in giant multi planet stalemates, so quite often.
  5. Gerfand

Gerfand Active Member

depends on what you mean w/ annihiation...
    if is to kill the enemy Com, every game
    if is to annihilate a planet, less games
  6. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

Depends on whether it's a single planet or multi planet systems. I know most of the videos I cast are single planet systems, and I know other casters do the same.
    PeggleFrank likes this.
  7. bertiee

bertiee New Member

Makes sense, I suppose like some of you say the option isn't always available if no suitable planets are around
  8. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

Tournaments rarely use multiple planets because they have to stick to a tight schedule in order to finish every round in a reasonable amount of time. Try some free for alls with multiple planets and you'll see some smashing.
  9. eroticburrito

eroticburrito Post Master General

Welcome to the Forums :)

I almost always host 10-player Multi-Planet Free For Alls on systems I make, usually with low Halley count.

I do not see as much smashing as I'd like. This is due to various things:
    1. New players don't know how - and there are plenty of those in PA at the moment.
    2. A planet is more valuable as a base than it is to smash. Reducing metal placement in the editor goes some way to making planets expendable, but even without metal a moon is a useful place to spam Energy factories.
      • In addition to this, low-radius moons are relatively easy to secure with roaming Air/Orbital. This is particularly true with Umbrellas' high damage+fire rate this build (their damage needs a nerf in my opinion).
    3. There is no proportional destruction. You drop an asteroid on an enemy base and, regardless of the target planet and KEW's respective sizes, everything will be destroyed, including your base on the other side of the planet.
  10. thegreatcorrecter

thegreatcorrecter New Member

I have been in two matches. The first I was rushed. The second, I went unnoticed and wiped the other 5 players (2 teammates) and won with a halley. I love halleys.
    PeggleFrank likes this.
  11. archmagecarn

archmagecarn Active Member

Does PAStats track this? I know I'd like to see how many planets we've communally obliterated. Maybe track how much of the galaxy we've destroyed- with around 100 billion planets total, we won't make much of a dent, but it'd be fun to see how far we can get.
    PeggleFrank likes this.
  12. nixtempestas

nixtempestas Post Master General

I usually win before I resort to halleys, but if it goes on too long, I definitely smash.

I play mostly against the AI though.