How long until I can play PA on MY computer?

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by rabbit9000, April 30, 2014.

1. rabbit9000

rabbit9000 Member

Because playing it on your computers seems to be impossible for me at the minute.

I don't know if you have downgraded your servers or what but all I want is a simple bash against the AI not for "Day 1 on Diablo 3" levels of fun.
  2. KNight

KNight Post Master General

When the server code is released, and the earliest we can expect that is at release.

Mike
  3. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

SOON!tm, Hopefully at least. You've got to wait until the game is released which is up in the air atm.
  4. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

The world's internet is having issues recently I hear, no joke. Anyway, I am certain it is no well kept secret that Uber uses huge amounts of Amazon servers. This is what they always done, everyone for some reason always complains about their quality at times and I never get why, but I am not sure there is any way to upgrade or downgrade or whatever to them. SMNC and PA servers are ran though a pretty reliable and unchanging infrastructure.

It is also no well kept secret they run 8 games per server. Lol. That is pretty efficient for a game to run 8 at a time decently. The players used to run 40 player games, except the server still tried running 8 and the other 7 games suffered from it. That, presented to you, @rabbit9000 , should show you the magic I see in it. I am adequately impressed.
  5. nuketf

nuketf Active Member

i can play PA just fine here my computer stuff

Processer Intel(R) Pentium(R) Duel CPU E2140 @ 1.60GHz 1.60GHz

RAM 2.00 GB

System 64-bit
  6. brandonpotter

brandonpotter Well-Known Member

Y
    You obviously dont understand what hes saying. his Specs are good, but playing online atm is difficult for him. Thats why hes wondering when hes able to play everything on only HIs Computer.
  7. nuketf

nuketf Active Member

ah i see
  8. brandonpotter

brandonpotter Well-Known Member

Exactly the same thing Im waiting for. I cant play online, so I gotta wait till the sever stuff is released.
  9. cybrankrogoth

cybrankrogoth Active Member

Feels the pain! I hate to add to the list of complainers, but I really want to. Since I'm running an...
    .... maybe I shouldn't share what I'm running. Cause it's an
    I7 4770
    16 gig ram 2133
    nvidia 770
    WD velociraptor HDD 1TB

Which really doesn't seem so impressive when I put it simply like that.

So I'm really wanting to break my computer loading 20 planet worlds with 60 ai. But can't yet :(
    On the upside though, delaying the release gives Uber a longer chance to get more funding, more refinement
    and more creativity before everyone else and their dog start pirating the game. So I'm willing to survive it.
    If it means Uber get more money and use it responsibly to really make the game more awesome, cleaner, more refined. :)

edit: I could gripe on the cartoony visuals. I can't complain at how effective it is playing the game when I'm managing huge populations on multiple worlds.
    I do however wish it was a little less leggoy? "Although" comparing PA with other RTS games, they've raised the baseline. It's nothing too obvious, little tweaks here, gameplay mechanic there. That's ended up with such a huge improvement. Gameplay is just so much nicer.
    and I've gone off tangent and off track. I'm really excited about this game and where Uber have said they're taking it.

Matt out.
  10. KNight

Ahahahahahahahaha! You should actually WANT things to be more LEGO-y because damn it'd look fine.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mike
  11. obiwantoby

obiwantoby New Member

I feel this pain inconsistently. Sometimes the game becomes a slideshow, and I just quit. Other times the game remains mostly smooth until the end. The only games that are smooth to the end are the ones that end in 15 minutes or less. 20 - 40 minute games seem to really bog down.

I am assuming there are some server statistics that uber is aware of, hopefully tracking the sim speed on each server instance?

It is probably safe to assume that we are no where near the final simulation performance.
    Last edited: May 6, 2014
  12. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

13. Corang

Corang Well-Known Member

Completely off-topic:
    This just gave me a wonderful Idea, what if someone used the Windows lego builder program and built every unit out of legos, exported it to a 3d model and put it into PA?
    PeggleFrank likes this.
  14. KNight

Incredibly high Tri counts is what you'd end up with.....assuming such a transfer is possible.

Either way the method used for something that that would be far more complicated and require a lot more work.

Mike
  15. Corang

Corang Well-Known Member

IF it is possible it would be pretty cool
  16. cybrankrogoth

cybrankrogoth Active Member

To address Mike. I like the concept of the art style, and the colours etc. And as a whole, I really like the design choices.
    I wasn't going to make a big deal about it because I pride myself on being adaptable, and function is more important than appearance. I do though think that the ships are a bit too 'boxxy' for my taste. I'd round out some edges, even if it's only a little. I've always liked the cylinder shapes for ship guns, I'm not sure why.
  17. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

I agree with you except about the ships. While they have a traditional looking ship style bridge and deck and all, their one unique trait is they still have blocky shapes for guns and on-board-structures.
  18. Geers

Geers Post Master General

It's because it's made of Lego.
  19. rabbit9000

rabbit9000 Member

Tell me more of the internet troubles?

I can play a game but at some point it just grinds to almost a halt. I can spin round and look at it but it just gets slower and slower over the course of a minute then kind of plateaus to where it feels like im downloading a second of gameplay maybe every 3 to 5 seconds.

So is it a server issue or an internet issue?

I'm also having trouble starting games on my own, and I've not been able to join a game for a while. Nothing has changed for me rig side since these problems began.

But seriously UBER needs to get the game in our machines before the internet is cordoned off for those who will pay and those who won't. This might just be a taste of things to come.