How is efficiency calculated?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by bengeocth, September 1, 2014.

1. bengeocth

bengeocth Post Master General

I would like a clearer understanding of the value. I realize that 40% is terrible while 100% is great, but knowing how it works would do wonders. Thanks
  2. pilotrose

pilotrose Member

I'll just chime in with an idea of the answer but I'm not 100% sure. If you're referring to the stats at the end of the game where it tells you your efficiency, then I'd venture to guess it takes your average efficiency throughout the whole game.

If you're referring to the calculation of your efficiency at the top on the economy bar, then I'm not sure. I can't remember what the efficiency shows when you're 100% on one resource and zeroing out on another. If it shows 50% when that's happening then the calculation takes the average efficiency of both and combines them. Otherwise it'd be slightly different, not sure.

Overall though, being 100% efficient at the end is NOT a good thing. It means you constantly wasted resources and weren't pushing your economy to make as much out of it as you could. Being close to 0% on the other hand might mean you pushed too much though.

Hope I was of some help.
  3. elodea

elodea Post Master General

I do wish uber would just remove that metric altogether. It points people in the wrong direction. 40% or 100% doesn't tell you whether you are doing better or worse, although generally you want to be always <100% because it indicates you are using all your resources.
  4. ace902902

ace902902 Active Member

you always want to be just under 100%
  5. dionytadema

dionytadema Active Member

It tels you how fast your current built speed is and is calculated by taking the minimum of both metal and energy efficiency.

So if it's 50% you are building at 50% of the optimal speed

Those numbers are income divided by expense

Thus efficiency = Min(metal.in/metal.out , energy.in/energy.out)
  6. thefluffybunny

thefluffybunny Active Member

it based on how much you are trying to spend, vs how much you can actually spend. if you try to spend twice as much as your income, you are at 50%, and each fabber will build half as quick. if you are in the low percentages you probably want to stop some gabbers as things are getting built slowly. its not a waste, just slow, so your eco and army is growing slower.
  7. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

ahahahahaha!

stop giving advice if you don't know what you are talking about.

being 100% throughout the entire game is a good thing. By no count are you to deduce from such a number that a person was wasting the resource during the game (or even at all!).
    Screenshot from 2014-09-01 10:20:53.png
    wasting a resource is when you are producing more of said resource then using and your storage of that resource is already at 100%
    see here I'm at 100% storage for neither energy nor mass and at 100% efficiency by maintaining said state I would be doing what you call "surfing"

surfing mass and energy throughout the entire game is the ideal because it means you wasted 0 resources while keeping 100% efficiency (A.K.A. construction speed).

good luck commander!
  8. elodea

elodea Post Master General

gee, i wonder what would happen if your storage hit 0? Pls lets not cherry pick screenshots and instead focus on giving accurate information that helps people play better.
    LmalukoBR, tehtrekd and BulletMagnet like this.
  9. tatsujb

it was that or no image at all, Are you going to give him reason or me? I was in the process of telling him not to hit zero, whereas that's what he was encouraging, beg your pardon.

and uh ...just noticed you were preaching some heresy as well.
    I know you don't get punished as hard in PA for over-consuming as you did in FA (and even then people still did it) but as long as you're producing slower than your opponent you are potentially putting yourself at a disadvantage. (potentially because if he's wasting it's worse for him).

the ideal, of course, being neither wasting nor stalling. ...E.G. what I said above.
    Last edited: September 1, 2014
  10. radongog

radongog Well-Known Member

gee, i wonder what would happen if your storage hit 0? Pls lets not cherry pick screenshots and instead focus on giving accurate information that helps people play better.[/quote]
    This is why you build MORE storage! :D
    OK, other thing: Keeping 100% Efficency through the whole game while never having full storage is super-nice. No discussion!
  11. masterevar

masterevar Active Member

Although ANY resources you still have in storage when winning/losing the game is wasted, never got used. So for absolute 100% efficiency and no waste, you must have 0 resources left in storage when winning/losing.
  12. lizard771

lizard771 Well-Known Member

In the end it's basically sayin' how much slower your fabbers are:
    100% - yay!
    50% - buildings will take twice as long to be built
    25% - four times as long
    10% - ten times as long
    So the building time is "(100/efficiency)*default_buildtime", whereby the build time depends on how many fabbers are working on the building and what kind of fabbers are building.
    It's *just* a factor increasing the building time.
    igncom1 likes this.
  13. tatsujb

Aw gosh you guys.

by "efficiency" read "build speed"

it'll make a lot more sense to you guys.
    igncom1 likes this.
  14. lizard771

lizard771 Well-Known Member

For maximum maximum maximum efficiency, you need +0 metal, +0 energy all the time and thus having 100% efficiency but no wasted resources. No matter, if your storage is full or empty. Come on, it isn't that hard.
  15. tatsujb

hard is relative apparently. I guess we take it for granted.
  16. mot9001

mot9001 Well-Known Member

Its wrong, look at the game and the field and whats happening first and only then you can say who is right on that certain moment because there is no 1 rule that covers everything, every moment in all games.