How Do I Shadow /pa_ex1/... files ?

Discussion in 'Mod Discussions' started by dom314, August 19, 2015.

1. dom314

dom314 Post Master General

In order to make my effect mod (More Pew Pew) compatible and playable with both PA and PA:T, I need to be able to shadow the unit files like the sniper bot which works differently in PA:T.

This is what I have figured out so far; when you play PA:T, the engine will load files from pa_ex1/ and use them to shadow things over pa/. Then, the engine gets client mods and shadows those files. The result is that there is no way to shadow the pa_ex1 files before they override the pa files. Does that make sense?

Let's bring back an example to show you what I mean:

I would like to create an effect for the sniper bot.
    From PA the sniper bot has the path /pa/units/land/bot_sniper/bot_sniper.json
    From PA:T the sniper bot has the path /pa_ex1/units/land/bot_sniper/bot_sniper.json

The reason why there are two paths is that PA:T changes the way that the sniper bot works, so it needs to change the PA sniper bot if you are playing the game in PA:T mode.
    Now, when I want to change the effect for the sniper bot, I can only change /pa/units/land/bot_sniper/bot_sniper.json, which means my 'shadow' must somehow be compatible with both versions of the file in order to work.
    If I try shadowing /pa_ex1/units/land/bot_sniper/bot_sniper.json (from PA:T) instead, it gets ignored.

So..... What do? I don't really want to have a different effect mod for each version of PA, since that would mean that if a player decided to join a PA, or PA:T game, they have to quit PA, enable the right mod, and then hopefully join the game they wanted.
    ace63, Engineer1234 and wondible like this.