How do I nuke a gas giant?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by bluestrike01, January 20, 2015.

1. bluestrike01

bluestrike01 Active Member

It seems to be impossible?
    I had 4 completed nukes and I tried targeting the planet floor, targeting a jig, trying area attack.
    The nukes would not lauch.
  2. kite1024

kite1024 New Member

Technically speaking, should a nuke not just fly trough a -gas- giant?
  3. cynischizm

cynischizm Active Member

As far as I know you simply can't. It wouldn't be fair/balanced as there's no way to defend against it.
  4. Jackbandanna

Jackbandanna Active Member

Technically speaking, should a platform be able to hover above a gas planet while being able to insert a probe into the gas below? (Jigs) The universal laws of physics are abandoned at Ubers' convenience, like having to transit the sun to jump to any other planet.

If anything it's a waste of a nuke. A single jig is cheap, and as long as they are spaced out you will only be destroying up to 4 jigs at most with a nuke. Not worth 50k metal.

Anyway I think gas giants are still OP and it can be even more difficult to destroy jigs now that they blow up with a nuclear blast, taking my fighters with the blast.
    tatsujb likes this.
  5. temeter

temeter Well-Known Member

It's still a heavy and huge planet, hold together by it's own gravity. There is an insane lot of pressure towards the inner parts of the giant (more than the earth could ever create), and the gas goes over into a fluid form. Follwing some theories, there might actually be a relatively small, solid core at the center.

You'd manually light the nuke on the surface, tho, but PA just doesn't allow that.

Suicide squads compromised of fighters or some hit and run should work better anyway. If he has some orbital platforms, just send a few more fighters. The nuclear explosion will kill anything around the mine.
    Last edited: January 20, 2015
  6. Geers

Geers Post Master General

Nope.
    thetrophysystem likes this.
  7. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

Actually, yes. It's quite possible to do from a physics perspective, in more than one way, too.
  8. Geers

9. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

That's the more difficult way, as it's planet dependent. Other ways include stationary orbits, dropping sinks to act as anchors, and even using excess gas as a power source to keep aloft.
  10. Geers

Yes but it's the more awesome way. And as we know, PA is about "AWESOME".
  11. Jackbandanna

I'm kind of talking about how the jigs look and operate now. I know about geostationary, using a carbon fiber line to anchor to the planet, or literally float on the gas. But the best explanation for the current top heavy jig is that they are in geostationary orbit, which brings on a bunch of problems if you are moving material up and down the probe. Again even that explanation is a serious stretch on reality. I don't even know what metal the jig is even mining on the gas giant. It would have to reach the solid core of the planet before it could even hope of getting metal.

As far a the teleporters in PA we all know this is a reality. As the Illuminati use teleporters daily, commuting to and from Earth.
  12. bluestrike01

bluestrike01 Active Member

Ah ok so its impossible.
    I was watching one of the recent clanwar streams and Zaphodx was saying they should nuke the gas planet to kill their eco. So I was trying the same in a somewhat simular situation.
  13. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

You nuke gas giants in pretty much the same way you nuke planets - attack command, point and click. If that doesnt work, try nuking a specific object.
  14. Poddighe

Poddighe Member

You need this...

[​IMG]
    stuart98, FSN1977 and drboggles like this.
  15. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

16. Poddighe

Poddighe Member

Damn, you win... :(
  17. Jackbandanna

While it is pretty much a waste of a nuke, I myself tried to nuke the gas giant a few days ago and was also unable to do so. But I have in the past with no problem; must have been disabled during a recent patch I suspect.
  18. kite1024

kite1024 New Member

Have either of you tried area attack commands? There is a tiny chance that will work?
  19. elodea

elodea Post Master General

FYI: this hasn't worked for a few months.
    stuart98 likes this.
  20. bengeocth

bengeocth Post Master General

sounds like we should add anti nuke cheaper than anti nuke, but vulnerable to avengers. Basically an anti nuke anchor- Maybe even hold another missile?

It should, obviously, be favorable to ground anti nuke because of its vulnerabilities- and you could protect jigs.

That being said, nuking gas giants should be in.
    huangth likes this.