Hovercraft are hard, but interesting

Discussion in 'PA: TITANS: General Discussion' started by philoscience, August 20, 2015.

1. philoscience

philoscience Post Master General

Just played a fun game vs Battlebear on the iceplanet map with all the big 'rivers'. Super interesting. I tried to go with an early hovertank rush as I got rolled with this strategy the other day. Of course, forgot to build air so my entire early push was wiped out almost instantly. Many tears. Managed to do a good bit of air raiding and just kept sending 20-30 unit hovertank platoons to no avail. Ultimately they cracked us with a titan, just obliterated our front line and ganked the last commander. The hovertanks are interesting because:

1. They total alter your expectations about where the enemy can come from
    2. They're more expensive than Ants but also slightly higher damage and faster
    3. They need good air support to raid effectively.
    So a great addition really. They add a much needed complexity to the rock-paper-scissors game. Any good stories or strategies using them?
    Last edited: August 20, 2015
  2. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Pair them with a fleet?

Pair them with Hoverships?

Use them on Lava worlds to bypass everything!
  3. philoscience

Hehe. I owe you an apology. I think you were the guy who always asked for hovercraft again and again and I told you many times it was pointless. I stand corrected. They rule!
    igncom1 likes this.
  4. burntcustard

burntcustard Post Master General

Still haven't played the update (in the middle of nowhere right now gr), but.. More damage and more expensive? Sounds like average time-to-kill is even shorter now which is a bit concerning?
  5. philoscience

Well, they present the player with a strategic choice, at least on maps with water/lava. Regular tanks/bots will accumulate faster and provide more bang for your buck, I think. So if you rush hovertanks and your enemy doesn't, you could easily lose. Also when hovertanks are over obstacles the only way to protect them from air is with other air. But, if you do build them, you can hit the enemy from many more angles with a harder punch.
  6. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Hover tanks are bigger and more expensive.

So normal tanks should be more efficient.