Hi everyone.

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by maxcomander, July 2, 2013.

1. maxcomander

maxcomander Active Member

Hi, I have been playing the Pa alpha for some days know am really enjoying it, big thankyou to all at Uber and everyone from kickstarter for getting this thing going.

My wish-list for this game are troop transports, and maybe some tier 3 Uber bots. (im guesing these things already have a thread so i'll ill say no more.

Also it be great to get an ai as almost all internet games I try to play slow down so badly that units just jump from place to place and it's very hard to keep track of what going on.

(I know its not my pc as its pretty hardcore, 1366core i7 12gb ram, oc 4.1, with a gtx780)

Look forward to maybe seeing some of you in game, I don't say much as I'm not the worlds fastest typist, but I do try to reply when I can.

Good luck uber, cant wait to see what more awsomeness you have in store with this game.
    :ugeek:
  2. masterdigital

masterdigital Uber Alumni

So unit jumping is not performance problem, its a bandwidth problem. When lots of units are moving, the server can sometimes have more information that it needs to send than it has time to broadcast. So unit update frequency is reduced, which appears as stalling and jumping.

The AI is being worked on, but won't be ready for a while. The bandwidth problem is less noticeable with fewer units and players, so playing small custom games, or quick-match will help a lot. Bandwidth is not something we have optimized yet (though we will).
  3. turroflux

turroflux Member

Optimization is a slow process, and this is early alpha. Work on optimization continues generally into late beta and often after release, though that's unlikely here. Right now Uber are focusing on getting everything into the game first, then working on major optimization, but expect it to be kept at a working level at least in smallers games for a while.
  4. maxcomander

maxcomander Active Member

Cool, I figured as much. Thanks for replying, and let me say again how cool you guys are for doing your game like this.

I have been waiting so long for a follow on to Ta Sc ect, and to be able to get in this early and see the game develop is a real privilege.

I'm also really exited about the unit cannon and seeing how the orbital thing pans out.

I also totally agree with john about the minimap, (just been catching up on the live streams) why the hell do you need a mini map when you can zoom out with a flick of the mousewheel or even better, duel monitor it and have a whole monitor for a mini map.

Keep up the coolness, you've made one old gamer very happy. ;)