Help with brushes and features

Discussion in 'Mod Discussions' started by allister, February 10, 2015.

1. allister

allister Active Member

So I'm trying to make a completely new custom planet + biome(s) of my own and I've been trying for hours to get some features to work (without success), like plants trees and flowers. Alot of these tutorials and notes are pretty old and I'm not sure how accurate they are. There's not a whole lot of information for features specifically, either.

Planet name is "Meadow", my first biome is named "field1".
    1. Do features need bones? Since they're only stationary trees and such, they don't need to be animated...
    2. Do they need mask textures/material textures?
    3. What files are needed to get features to work? For each feature, I have
      • a .papa model in the terrain\field1\fbx folder
      • a .papa texture in the texture folder
      • a <name>.json and base_<name>.json in the feature folder
      • it's listed in the features section of field1.json in pa\terrain\field1.
    Am I missing anything?
    I copied the jungle .json and stripped it of alot of it's contents, so it's like a template right now. I've tested it in editor and I know it works because there's no trees and only like 1 plateau brush. However, my custom features are not showing. I use Blender and hear many people say Blender .fbx's are sketchy, but I swear I got a feature to work, long ago. Maybe it was with raevns' blender .papa exporter.

Help appreciated :). I will be back in a few hours, I have to go to class.
    guest1 likes this.
  2. wondible

wondible Post Master General

I'm pretty sure the 'base' files are convenience and not required - it's just so the common properties of 16 different rocks can be set and tuned in one place.

I haven't done anything with the art assets. My only idea there is to try using a stock model with your JSON and your model in a stock JSON to figure out which one is at fault. And of course in the planet type swap out one of your custom features for a stock one and make sure it's being placed properly.
    guest1 likes this.