"Help me and my project!" Locking this thread was as juvenile as the duscussion.

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by Nullimus, September 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nullimus

Nullimus Well-Known Member

This thread could have been brought back on track with a little bit of maturity on the part of the participants.

Let's put this in context.

There is a small group of Women who presume to speak for all women in regards to video games. Oath just wanted to create a forum for those women who are being spoken for but are not being given a voice.

THAT'S IT.

He wasn't trying to be "exclusive" or troll for a bunch of cosplay hot chick videos he could drool over.

Frankly I am a bit disgusted that the people in the locked thread could not be more mature about the concept.

Here is a link to the thread so that everyone can see where it all went wrong.
    https://forums.uberent.com/threads/help-me-and-my-project.64596/
    OathAlliance likes this.
  2. knickles

knickles Well-Known Member

He also hates trans people, and is probably pro-duck
  3. mutanteggs

mutanteggs Member

you know actually he's onto something
    if he pretends to give a damn about feminism while also hating trans people
    he would probably get a million internet dates
    count me in
  4. worksofart

worksofart Member

It's really immature to pretend you are trying to be the voice of the people when you are a bigot.

EDIT: I am extremely dateable unlike Oathmen.
    Last edited: September 28, 2014
  5. roadkillgrill

roadkillgrill Active Member

I cannot see that thread ever working out. The original pitch was awkward enough that I doubt it would attract the audience it seeks.

When the intention is to get girls to record videos explicitly stating the first rule is that you must be women is redundant and really feels alienating to the rest of the viewers watching the cause.

The 4th rule and explanation sets a terrible visualization in the audiences head. Like the first rule this one doesn't need to be said as Youtube doesn't allow nudity. Further discussion of the rule makes this video sound like a request for girls that also cosplay. Even saying its optional doesn't remove the thought that the expectation is that there will be girls cosplaying in the video. This alienates the group it intends to create even if it is unintentional.

The biggest reason rule 1 and 4 never needed to be stated or even mentioned is that since all videos at going to be made into a compilation the editor has final say on all submissions! Anything that is inappropriate or does not promote the cause will just never be used.

A pilot video with a few friends would likely have made a better initial pitch. Watching a person explain their idea and 5 rules over 7 minutes just isn't what gets me excited for a cause.
  6. equinoxiswin

equinoxiswin Active Member

This moron marginalizes everyone, even the grills that aren't shilling internet activism. There are people, girls included, on Twitch.tv that actually play video games instead of shilling. I'm not complaining, I actually watch some very good female streamers BECAUSE THEY'RE GOOD AT VIDEO GAMES LOL.

And then you have oathswin, who probably believes in feminism but not men's rights. Who goes out of her way to make an inflammatory issue over NOTHING. What a despicable woman.
    Taxman66 likes this.
  7. OathAlliance

OathAlliance Well-Known Member

You know, I like it how people apparently know that I "hate people".

Stating "I don't Care" is not = to "I hate."

I don't care if you're man, woman, unsure, LGBQLMNOP. I really don't. You are a person. What you think and feel is for yourself. I'm not a doctor nor a psychologist.

Transgender is either psychological or rarely genetic. It's a serious and personal topic that I don't need to know about. Just like your dating/sex life.

It wasn't an issue until someone brought it up.

@equinoxiswin Please stop trolling as well you aren't helping anyone.

If you guys don't want to support me don't. But don't tell me who I am, what I believe or what I can do. Otherwise you're acting just like you're saying I am.

If you want to actually talk to me I'm open to it. But please stop using my words for whatever purpose you want.
    Last edited: September 28, 2014
  8. equinoxiswin

equinoxiswin Active Member

See, her mental defense is to deflect everything.

Can't even take criticism, this woman. Still doesn't want me to enter even though I identify as a woman.
  9. Geers

Geers Post Master General

I love how someone actually thought this thread could work out and everyone would be happy.
  10. Gorbles

Gorbles Post Master General

Your first reply in that other thread is quite terrible as well.

Do you think in ad hominems, or do you actually intentionally type them?
  11. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

And now reality crashes in on them.
    cptconundrum, squishypon3 and Geers like this.
  12. embox

embox Moderator Alumni

Before we leave this topic alone completely, I'd actually like to take a moment to explain why it's a bad idea to openly discuss GamerGate or anything related to it.
    I've been paying close attention to the whole mess at the routes of where it started. As of right now, this whole external drama ball has been burning quite viciously over Twitter and various corners of the internet; even to the extent that many people have been doxxed, many people have received numerous death threats, and someone even received a dirty needle in his mail box for supporting the GamerGate movement.

Even neutral third parties such as the YouTube personality Boogie who only want people to come to a conclusion and stop fighting have been personally attacked, doxxed, and labeled an 'enemy' simply on the basis of "if you're not with us, then you're against us."
    There is no peaceful side to this argument but people are entitled to believe what they want in terms of whether GamerGate is a good movement or a bad movement; but regardless of what you want to believe, it's a dangerous subject to be involved in. For some people it might just be a headache, for others it results to petty cyber bullying and personal attacks.

So for the interest of ensuring the general safety of members on this forum and community, I'm going to have to say no towards the open discussion for or against GamerGate, Zoe Quinn, NotYourShield or anything else closely related to the matter. If it was simple political debate with no third party repercussions then I'd be more than fine with people discussing it - but that's not the case.
    I also strongly urge people to research deeply in to the whole mess before trying to make themselves a name in it; it's a whole other issue that you might realize you didn't want to be strung in to in the end.

I'm not trying to scare anyone, I've just seen first hand what this topic can devolve in to and it is not pleasant to deal with.
  13. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

A final note - if a moderator locks a thread, take it offline with that moderator to discuss. Just "opening a new thread because you think it's ok" is not the way to move forward. We try and not be overly restrictive on what topics are discussed here, but at the end of the day, moderators hold the authority to say "sorry guys, this isn't going to end well", because we trust them. They've shown incredible judgement on knowing when a topic is just not going to go anywhere good.

TL - DR : Take it to PM if you disagree with a topic being offlimits. Just ignoring mods won't end well for your long term presence on the forums.
    squishypon3, cptconundrum and FSN1977 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.