Help gaining weight

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by arseface, April 22, 2014.

1. arseface

arseface Post Master General

I need to gain weight, lower my cholesterol, and limit my carb intake.

It seems like all of these things conflict, and I can't think of any good foods that could do all three. Any two isolated would be easy, but the third bit messes it up. Can you guys think of anything that fits all this, and if so do you know any solid recipes?
  2. Geers

Geers Post Master General

BACON!
    cwarner7264 likes this.
  3. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

Yeah, the third makes life complicated. Are you absolutely sure you can't pick two, fix those, then fix the third?
  4. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

Focus on high protein, medium fat diet, with lots of colorful vegetables. And then? Start weight lifting. :) If you want muscle mass, that's the right combo. Brad can probably provide some more specific advice.
    FSN1977 likes this.
  5. Geers

NO! ONLY DULL-COLOURED VEGETABLES!
  6. phantomtom

phantomtom Active Member

Vegis are awesome. Why woulde u not eat something that makes u strong?
    I like ur drawing, ho is that?
    Last edited: April 23, 2014
  7. arseface

No, unfortunately. They're all pressing health concerns.
  8. Geers

Steroids make you strong too.

Just saying.
  9. phantomtom

phantomtom Active Member

Steroids add water where there shoulde be mucels
  10. phantomtom

phantomtom Active Member

Arseface, you know what u must do! do it!
  11. Geers

Actually they increase protein within cells.
  12. phantomtom

phantomtom Active Member

figure of speech. they are bad for u
  13. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

14. Gorbles

Gorbles Post Master General

Stop eating fast food, stop eating foods high in salt. If you don't, sorry for the assumption, but if your diet doesn't contain much of those, then you're going to find it substantially easier to lose or maintain fat.

You can eat a perfectly healthy and balanced diet (which includes plenty of meat) and still gain weight. But yes, get to a gym, do a balanced routine. Depending on your current strength, going straight into weights may nexercise is keyot help you. Strengthen your core by just doing a regular routine first (rowing, running, cycling, cross trainer, etc).

As you get more used to the exercise and starting lifting or using weight machines, you'll probably find your hunger increases. Eat more, don't deny the hunger. Just don't eat the wrong stuff. Eat brown bread instead of white bread. Olive spread instead of margerine (it also tastes better, in my opinion :p).

You'll find yourself putting on weight. I was in a position where I wanted to gain weight, five years ago or so now. I was doing water polo training once a week (instead of going to a gym). I started cycling there, doing the training (several miles downhill, easy) and then cycling back (not so easy, it was basically a giant hill). I was eating four meals a day and still being hungry. But I put on muscle at a massive rate.

Naturally, this is dependent on age. I doubt I'd be able to do the same now, 5 years on. In fact, it's more of a challenge to balance my weight against exercise. But I don't know your age, your food intake, your current weight, etc. I can only guess! :)
  15. Geers

16. phantomtom

phantomtom Active Member

Man that sounds like hard work and franky i think Arseface thinks too. Thing` s are not hard, only certain things. if u know what i mean:D i bet u dont. Things are only hard once u see a certain thing:D lol
    But jesus all that hard work and going to a gym when u are overweight cant feel good.
    Go out man. go for a walk in the sunset, go for a walk in the cold winter admirering the sky.
    U see no abys there.'

When i go out for a run i have only myself to conquer, noone else thinking thoughts....
    Edit:
    And u cant eat burgers pizza and all that unhealty stuff everyday, everyone know`s that but why do they do it? its good? sure is but healty food is twice as good
  17. Geers

Boiled zucchini is not as good as pizza. That is a scientific fact.
  18. Gorbles

Gorbles Post Master General

Define "good".

WHERE IS YOUR SCIENCE NOW.
  19. Geers

What would you choose to eat if it was your last meal between the two.
    YEAH SCIENCE!
  20. arseface

I don't eat much, if any, fast food. Not sure about my salt intake.

I'm actually not sure exercise is a good idea. The issue is that I'm diabetic and can run into issues if my body doesn't have enough insulin to transmit the energy I need. When my numbers are better under control I can work on turning that weight to muscle, but I'm not sure it's worth the risk right now.

I need to put on some fat while not destroying my heart and staying within the carb rates I can absorb properly.

I just can't think of any foods that perform the roles. Let alone good food.