Height Range beyond 100

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by shess78303, February 16, 2014.

1. shess78303

shess78303 New Member

Hello,

I was just creating a new planet and thought i'd try to go beyond the slider bar number of 100. So I typed in 250 and WOW got an amazing looking planet. Awesome rolling hill, big mountains, river banks etc...

So I thought I'd try a quick game against the AI to see if it worked. Well not so much. Started on the side a steep hill or mountain call it. Lost the commander into the hill, had to draw box around area and click on flat ground and eventually he walked out. Built an air factory, the planes sunk below the surface. Once again had to go looking for them. Planes building structures, started them and then sunk below the ground and got lost.

Not sure if this was ever covered, searched and saw nothing really about it.

Just the planet I thought looked awesome!! Hopefully Uber will allow for bigger numbers or make the 100 an awesome rolling hill planet like the one I just made.

Attached Files:

2. v4skunk84

v4skunk84 Active Member

That looks really good.
  3. aevs

aevs Post Master General

That's really cool, I had no idea we could set height range higher than 100. I'll have to try that some time.
  4. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

That's an... interesting looking planet.

Would be pretty neat if we could get gameplay to work on planets like this. Taking control of the high ground would be of major strategic importance.
    LavaSnake, eroticburrito and cdrkf like this.
  5. leighzer

leighzer Member

I saw this and wanted to push the limits. These are some pics of wacky height ranges. I tried 10,000 right after and it took too long, so I abandoned it.
    Wacky pics none the less.

Attached Files:

brianpurkiss likes this.
  6. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

That's nuts.
  7. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

that looks cool. PA should try to support planets like these. They look like actual planets and not as flat and boring as the currently playable ones.
  8. Timevans999

Timevans999 Active Member

Depends on if range increases for parabolic trajectory
  9. aevs

aevs Post Master General

Pretty sure all ranges are spherical right now, unfortunately. I could be wrong there; I hope I am. It would be nice if elevation gave artillery a firing range advantage, and if it increased view radius instead of decreasing it.
    stuart98 likes this.
  10. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

It would however royally screw with actual balance to have that.
  11. igncom1

They do however, look badass on the 'liquid' maps.

EDIT: HOLY.....IMGUR HOW?
    xankar, FXelix and chronosoul like this.
  12. vackillers

vackillers Well-Known Member

that is a really nice find... planet looks awesome with that height range... i'm sure you'll be able to eventually go higher than the 100 in the slider whether its modded in or if uber raise it.
  13. Corang

Corang Well-Known Member

Oh man, I have known about this for months, I thought everyone did, I was screwing around a few months ago and came up with this
    super high mountains.PNG
  14. zweistein000

zweistein000 Post Master General

well the 500 one and 1000 one are way to much. Even 250 looks borderline realistic. I will try ranges 100-200 though to see the results.
  15. vackillers

lol that was a bit ridiculous
  16. bmb

bmb Well-Known Member

This just looks deformed. Something is wrong when the hills are taller than the actual mountains.
  17. vackillers

Its really fun to mess around with the height ranges but I did just try to play a match with height range of 300 and all the units pretty much would fall through the terrain, while building in the factories the units were already sinking underneath them while they were building so cant really play the game with the height levels higher than 100 but I do hope that uber change that so units dont fall through, you can make some really interesting planets messing around with those height levels.
  18. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

That sounds like it can recreate the alpha early feeling. Can you somehow launch ships into space as well? :D
    stuart98 likes this.
  19. Tontow

Tontow Active Member

Cool, I want....
  20. igncom1

Range 300 can be cool for water and lava planets, to full in the valleys.