haters gonna hate

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by wheeledgoat, January 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wheeledgoat

wheeledgoat Well-Known Member

It bummed me out a little last night. I was checking out some youtube videos of some PA action, and the overwhelming majority of comments were negative, along the lines of "this game sux", "waste of money", "not as good as SupCom/FA/whatever"...

I think the biggest thing was that the poster failed to specify that this game is still BETA... namely, after all the effort, planetary crashes are a completely underwhelming letdown right now. Would help people's perceptions if we made sure they knew this isn't the finished product!

so keep that in mind for all your youtube posts...
  2. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Its sort of terrible. FA players are going to defend the life of their game. Yet, this hurts the genre as a whole. It is like they WANT game developers to never EVER make another rts game for the next 20 more years.

This one plays generally originally anyway. It doesn't step on their toes, its apples and oranges. I wouldn't be surprised if it were set up by katherine or whoever it was earlier advocating that sort of thing.

I just entered a planetside 2 chat lobby, and discussed playerbases like this. It is needlessly hostile to discourage other games no matter the motive. That being said, I am trying out planetside 2, because it is free and I am a good gamer as far as encouraging fellowship amongst games.
  3. SXX

SXX Post Master General

It's totally normal thing for any games. There lot of StarCraft players who don't like SC2, lof of Morrowind/Oblivion players who don't like Skyrim and same with CS (e.g I don't like anything except CS 1.6) and many others: Total War and even some Paradox Interactive titles.

To be fair I played SupCom quite a lot before and first few months with PA was really tough, but I also playing Spring RTS games a lot so I'm can accept that games might be different. Unfortunately many FA players (again there nothing special or bad with them) won't able to accept that fact.

But I seen lot of PA-related discussions in different places and most of people who played game like it and reviews on Steam show the same thing.
    carlorizzante likes this.
  4. iron420

iron420 Well-Known Member

Isn't that the truth! From the budget to the core ideals, PA is different from FA. I really do wish Uber didn't toss out some of the tried tested and true improvements FA made over it's predecessors like TA though and I know people IRL (including childhood friends and my brother) who will prefer FA to PA even upon release because Uber simply doesn't want those features. It saddens me that I can't totally shelf FA forever like I did TA even on release because PA is a sort of side-grade instead of an up-grade and I can totally see why even informed people would still prefer FA.

For me, I see the big picture. PA will bring the base from which I can sculpt a true successor through mods. It's unfortunately the only way foreword since FA has stagnated.
  5. doud

doud Well-Known Member

Well let them stuck in there unscalable square flat maps ....
    mered4 and beer4blood like this.
  6. doud

doud Well-Known Member

Supcom/FA were AAA games made with tons of money from THQ.
    Uber has never promised PA would be FA++.
    PA is not FA, end of story.
    Missing features ? The engine is built to scale and to be modded. Supcom / Fa can be modded, but the engine can simply not scale. Within many years i will still be able to play PA at larger scale.
  7. doud

doud Well-Known Member

8. SXX

SXX Post Master General

I like Uber and I'm want to be positive about that, but until game/server released I can't be completely sure about that. First they just have to prove they'll able to support game properly.

For SupCom there no chance because it's just a 32-bit blob limited to single-core simulation and rendering, limited units and players count. Some people don't like that fact, but it's will die like any abandoned proprietary game.

Spring engine way more advanced already and it's well supported; players who like FA will always able to find their games here or create new one.
    Timevans999 likes this.
  9. abubaba

abubaba Well-Known Member

Youtube comments, really now.. what did you expect but pure unadulterated hate?
  10. doud

doud Well-Known Member

Yep, you said the good words : create new one. Which is quite different from taking an existing game and build a lobby on top of it.
  11. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

You are a wise fellow.

Actually, in a distant time FA and FAF won't function anymore, re-engine the game programmed exactly the same with possibly agreed upon community changes, would be splended. They would have my support.

This is supposed to be a different game anyway. It isn't scalability added to SC, its as different as SC is from C&C.
  12. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Mostly every big game community go this way or at least tried that. There is quite a lot people who starting to recreate games they like, but only some of them succeeded.

Most successful projects it's Spring, fheroes2(HOMM2), GemRB (Infinity Engine), OpenTTD, Freeciv, The Dark Mod. There also many projects that isn't playable yet like VCMI(HOMM3) or OpenMW(Morrowind).

There also quite a lot commercial games that started like that but it's different story.
    iron420 likes this.
  13. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Comparing the number of people in an irc channel with the number of people in game is kinda funny.
    Also comparing the price of a 7 year old abounded game with a pre release version of an in development game where most people basically wait for patches or for release.
    :eek:
    EdWood likes this.
  14. wheeledgoat

wheeledgoat Well-Known Member

I read this off the FA forums doud linked to... and I already agree!
    The rest of the comments are pretty funny, when you realize everybody's comparing PA Beta to other finished games. I do fear that Uber has been a little optimistic with their timeline, and that's gonna frustrate some people, but I really love that they refuse to rush the game to meet some deadline, and they've given us Beta to mess with in the meanwhile.

Too bad it's leading to premature opinions about the game that people will extrapolate to the finished version.
    drz1, godde and beer4blood like this.
  15. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Yeah maybe somebody should compare PA to FA at the time.

... oh wait SupCom/FA had not such an early alpha/beta. So I guess at this point in it's livetime it had near 0 players.
  16. Ortikon

Ortikon Active Member

I remember being a Lego snob when I was little. I refused any and all megablocks. even though they where comfortably cross compatible give or take a few loose fits. People dont like to hear it but when somebody comes out with something new and does it a bit differently, people tend to clutch onto what they know and what they liked 10+years ago. A 27 year old me is not going to like remakes of videogames I played when I was 7, no matter how much I want to think I will. I am one of those Skyrim haters too haha..I mean.. I liked it..but I did not dump the same amount of hours I did on Morrowind. But guess what folks, there is no way in hell I could get myself to dump those hours on it again either. PA is a different game to me, in fact I initially had no clue that the entire SupCom fan-base was looking into its development. I had not heard of TA and did not know SupCom was spawned out of that fanbase either. I must have been playing Warcraft II or something at the time, and hey look another example of something I didnt really like that much, Warcraft III. WIII had a good following though, I tried to like it but I didnt, it just wasnt "the same". That is the problem people experience, they say "It's just not the same" and even if they went and played the same game, the feeling they got when they where first exploring it is gone and unrecoverable. This is why we have 60+ games on our steam libraries that most of the time we play once or twice, because we are chasing an unquenchable satisfaction that isnt always there. Then something completely new comes out like Kerbal Space Program, and we as adults find something we never did before and dump another 300 hours on it (just hit my 300 hours ahem *tugs collar). People get incredibly disappointed by being unsatisfied these days, or not getting instant gratification.

I like PA cuz its a little different and I missed the TA experience, got the SupCom FA experience, and did not come in with the expectations to compare it to the latter.

Hell, even crack-heads have the same problem, it never seems as good as the first time..
    Grimseff, cdrkf, godde and 1 other person like this.
  17. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

Most of the complaints are about balance. It took SupCom/FA/FAF years to get the balance to where it is now, though. They're looking at the final, modded game and comparing it to a beta that hasn't even been around a year yet. Of course balance isn't right. If you want to play a well balanced, mature game, go play FAF. Forged Alliance is a great game, and it will still be just as great years from now.
  18. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

19. EdWood

EdWood Active Member

Omg, I defended PA so many times already. The bad thing is not that some people simply don't like it, they are simply uninformed.
    For example, bitching about Alpha pricing... why do I need to pay $90 to buy the game? No, you don't have to, you can wait for the release and steal it for $40.

Someone else, he watched the Kickstarter video, he knows about the art direction, he watched gameplay videos, then bought the beta, then bitched about the graphics and art direction... dude... you knew.

Reminding people all the time that this is not the final game, you can tell certain people this kind of fact 10.000 times, they still don't get it.

**** game, look at the stupid gunships, how ugly, just a square... Dude, this is a placeholder for the final artwork...

I was in the Supreme Commander Beta... damn even close to the end, so many things changed.

It is crazy when you are in PA since the Alpha to see how much has changed... so much progress and the game makes really really fun and is actually playable now, not perfect yet, but tons of fun.

I also don't understand the fact that some people don't like this game, thus create an account just to post their dislike... really? Get a life and move on.

Someone even complained that the game release got delayed, the same person that bitched about the beta bugs... really? Is that not a good thing? lol

Or some people even complaining that the game uses planets and not flat maps as playground... really did you ever read a single line of game description ever? This is one of the main features.
    Grimseff likes this.
  20. SXX

SXX Post Master General

I don't see any reason FAF won't work because it's support is pretty cheap. I want to believe it's will have long life because I want to check SupCom again one day and find some players here.

Still there is no way they can fix real problems of SupCom that make me abandon it and move on Spring games.
    cdrkf likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.