Guide to map editing needed

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by philoscience, November 27, 2014.

1. philoscience

philoscience Post Master General

Can someone put together a quick collection of shortcuts and basic walk-through for the new map editor tools? For example how does one move a CSG around? How can you cut and paste CSGs between planet types? And other handy tips? I know a few tips are sprinkled throughout the support threads and elsewhere but I don't think they are collected in any one single place.

Thanks!
  2. theshinesprites

theshinesprites New Member

From what I understand through testing:

1. Go to Settings>Keyboard>Terrain and change the "Toggle Edit Terrain" option to something simple. I use shift+`
    2. Preview the terrain of the planet you wish to edit
    3. Use the hotkey you just set to enable "Edit CSG" (don't use the button, doesn't work..atleast for me)
    4. If it didn't work, try again until it does. You'll know it worked when the CSG are highlighted.
    5. Ctrl+C to copy selected CSG, Ctrl+V to paste selected CSG, Ctrl+G to "Grab" the CSG, Delete to delete selected CSG, Q/E to rotate, W/S to move higher/lower, A/D to make larger/smaller.
    6. Toggle Edit Terrain
    7. Custom planet!
    To add CSG from one planet to another:
    1. Preview terrain of both planets
    2. Toggle Edit Terrain of both planets
    3. Use Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V to copy CSG from one planet to another (Hidden Biome's CSG debug biome is great for this)
    4. Toggle Edit Terrain
    5. Even more custom custom planet!

Sometimes the CSG edits don't save, though. Be wary of this.
    Don't change the planet's stats after you've edited the CSG. All changes will be removed.
  3. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

This really needs to be fixed.

Good finds :)
    philoscience likes this.
  4. mutrumbo

mutrumbo Member

General:
    @SXX pointed me to the keyboard bindings page which shows the various command keys, and that helped a lot.
    To manipulate CSGs, double click them. After that, you can use the keyboard commands.

------------------------------------------

Metal Spots:

------------------------------------------

Special tips:

Don't use the EDIT CSG and the EDIT METAL SPOTS function at the same time, because odd things can happen if you do.

Render the planet by clicking the "Preview Terrain and Gameplay" button before using either the EDIT METAL SPOTS or EDIT CSG functions to ensure both metal spots and CSGs are created properly.
    Last edited: November 27, 2014
    tatsujb and philoscience like this.
  5. philoscience

Thanks guys this is all super helpful information! I was able to make a pretty cool map, will post it in a bit.
  6. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

7. endurrr

endurrr Active Member

YES IT DOES
    IT DOES NEED TO BE FIXED
    (may or may not have just spent hours on a map only to have it not save)
  8. reptarking

reptarking Post Master General

I will be releasing a full guide later on this week once i think i have mastered it
  9. corteks

corteks Active Member

Ooooh nice thread. Gonna have to give this a try soon!
  10. philoscience

Thanks everyone these are some really helpful tips. @KNight may want to add this thread to the useful threads sticky.
  11. guest1

guest1 Active Member

I'm going to make a comprehensive guide to the system editor and .pas file editing once I have the time. Until then, check your keybindings under the "system editor" tab. To make sure everything saves properly, remember to take all your planets out of CSG edit mode before saving the system.
    kayonsmit101 likes this.
  12. mwreynolds

mwreynolds Well-Known Member

A good guide to editing the .pas files will be really powerful.
  13. ZakTheEvil

ZakTheEvil Member

But you can't even change the planet stats once you enable Custom Edit! My changes never get saved. Something is badly broken.