Grey Goo

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by igncom1, December 23, 2014.

1. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Im now starting to get hype:

mjshorty and xankar like this.
  2. websterx01

websterx01 Post Master General

Oh, is it coming further along? I haven't checked up in a while but I'm interesting in playing it
    igncom1 likes this.
  3. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

It looks quite legit, I will admit.
  4. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

5. Matster

Matster Active Member

Well its a bit more then a month till release of Grey Goo on 25th of January 2015 so the hype will start growing fast. Also I wish there was more data about the other upcoming SupCom like strategy game Etherium.

Last developers Grey Goo gameplay livestream here:

Basically this is the first game after a long time that is returning to the classical RTS C&C genre playstyle and also made by some of the developers that were working on C&C games.
    Last edited: December 23, 2014
  6. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

They'd best hope so. So far it's all been very muted, at best.
  7. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

I'm just not sure why I should care about this game. As I see it you have the following niches:

Low-level/Micro - Starcraft 2

**** Base Building - Dawn of War/Company of Hero series

Modern Warfare - AirLand Battle series

Epic/Macro - Planetary Annihilation

The game just looks so bland, and as I suspect it fits into the **** Base Building camp I don't see how it's going to compete with Relic, a company that makes RTSs just dripping with personality.
  8. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

The same way battlefield, call of duty, counterstrike, warface, medal of honor, titanfall, and countless other shooters do it.

You coexist.

I would like to wish, that the market of players for rts games, are big enough for multiple RTS. If not, then damn.
  9. Matster

Matster Active Member

I agree the above games Quitch listed aren't really interesting to me besides PA off course. Im really missing the classical RTS genre --> C&C and similar games and that's also what Grey Goo want's to deliver. Since EA killed C&C games and GasPoweredGames wen't down the drain there wasn't really much to look forward too and if really there is no room for more RTS games in the market then its slowly going to die afterall its just barely hanging on life support at the moment.
    thetrophysystem likes this.
  10. Quitch

Your problem is thinking of all shooters as being the same. You're like the parent who at an FPS and asks if it's Doom. The fanbase for Call of Duty is not the same as Counterstrike, they appeal to completely different markets. Likewise Call of Duty and Battlefield, while both modern shooters they deal with different scales and one favours infantry while the other has a much bigger emphasis on vehicles. And even on top of that the FPS market is much, much bigger than the RTS one.

For a new RTS to succeed I think it has to occupy one of those niches and needs to topple the holder of that market segment. Of course, AirLand Battle managed to make its own place in the market, but there was an obvious hook there. I don't see Grey Goo doing this because watching that video I can't see why I should care about it at all, let alone what makes it unique and exciting.
  11. thetrophysystem

... You me to prove to you I, as a Call of Duty player since classic, know what I am talking about? Way to press my button then, the whole comparing me to a lame parent.

Fine, then you humor me. What subgenres would you break all 6 of those shooters down into?

But to already post what I am going to reply back, you posted several RTS games, and there are several you didn't list, some even cover subgenres you didn't list. The answer is exactly as I said nonetheless. There is NOT ENOUGH rts games to entertain rts players.

I know what I am saying. There are TOO MANY fps games, there are 3 a subgenre and each get a yearly installment. There wasn't even as frequent a RTS game back when C&C was in the golden years. 1 Starcraft 2 installment every 2-3 years. C&C games date 98, 01, and 06?

This is BULLSHIT. I WISH Anonymous would hack EA and Activision and other FPS makers, and impede their progress and wipe their work to cause them to release no more often than once every 3 years. I WISH that upon them.

At the same time, I wish Grey Goo is successful, so there can be an rts game released this 2 year span. Blizzard can come out with Into the Void later or whatever, a different subgenre. In my own little fantasy world, Human Resources could have released late 2016 or mid 2017.

Instead, people want to say Grey Goo has no place, that they can't wait for the next shooter in 6 months, that they can't wait for the next sports game in 3 months, and claim that the gaming industry ISN'T dying and that they AREN'T killing it. This last paragraph, is why I wish Anonymous would hack EA and AAA titles to impede yearly progress.
    optimi, mered4 and Matster like this.
  12. Quitch

Well that was certainly a thing.
  13. thetrophysystem

Hey. I get pissed at this sort of thing.

List of things that piss me off:
    -Megaman Legends 3 getting cancelled
    -C&C Renegade 2 getting cancelled from EA killing it
    -C&C getting shifted to a micro-starcraft-clone, then a moba, then cancelled due to feedback from the shifts.
    -Mercs Inc. getting cancelled from EA killing it
    -FPS getting the worst balance and generic treatment, and resold with minor changes every year
    -sports games getting huge sales when they aren't a real video game industry, and resold with minor changes every year
    -Getting kicked in the balls

IN THAT ORDER, and missing a few things but including most things relating to the subject. Just to be specific.

To say the world doesn't need as many RTS, when it does, irritates number 3. Next, you are going to say it was a financially sound decision for capcom to cancel Megaman Legends 3 and for EA to cancel C&C Renegade. DESPITE how massive the development was for the franchise by the community for the game, which can't even profit off of it.

No, to continue to go off topic for just a moment, it is ridiculous that people can continue the work for free because the backing is there, but that the damn company can't get off their *** and do something, if anything then the very least sponsor or sell rights to someone who can. EA should officially sponsor Totem Arts, and Capcom should have continued the Legends series and ports.

And to get back on topic, C&C should have been left alone. C&C 3 and Red Alert 3 were even well enough in their variety and gameplay, with the simple fact you played them like you did. Trying to make a moba out of that was retarded, instead of cloning to compete with a competitor, play your own dang strengths and your own dang market.
  14. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

*casts vote for more RTS games in general*

*hates on stupid FPS games*
    thetrophysystem and stuart98 like this.
  15. Quitch

Good thing no one said that then.
  16. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Agreed, it looks pretty awesome.

When's the beta date again, and will it be an open beta like PA was?
  17. yokcos700

yokcos700 New Member

-HR not passing through Kickstarter.

When were they going to to Renegade 2 and why didn't I hear about it?
  18. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Both Grey Goo and Etherium look like generic "**** basebuilding" games to me. Why would anybody relate Etherium to SupCom xD Anyway these games totally look like the dozen(s?) other games with this concept that had a rather short lifetime.

Well I would not mind them to be successful, but I am doubtful.
    Raevn likes this.
  19. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

.... .... .... meh ....

large units to experimental level ..
    basebuilding is hardly in that game ..
    Last edited: December 24, 2014
  20. websterx01

websterx01 Post Master General

Hey! I like **** basebuilding! I like teching up and being bland and lazy :p high level play in PA and the sort just obliterates that feeling.