Grenadier

Discussion in 'Balance Discussions' started by Quitch, August 19, 2015.

1. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

I think we can all agree that the Grenadier was a little too powerful. Unfortunately the latest change means they can no longer kite in any meaningful fashion, and I think this has over neutered them. They can only fire while attacking, but with their low health and a range not much higher than other units on their tier they have no staying power. The second the enemy pushes back you either run and die, or stay put and die.

It feels like they were dramatically over-nerfed.

If I had to guess at a better fix, I'd say either reducing their speed a little to make kiting harder, or lower the health to allow Dox to take them down faster.
    probodobodyne, xankar, elodea and 2 others like this.
  2. pjkon1

pjkon1 Member

You are correct about the affects I think. Unfortunately I can't say I agree with you because I like them. I prefer the game to have less kiting because kiting adds micro which I both do not enjoy and am bad at. Right now grenadiers are a way of destroying defenses from out of range at teir 1 (and they're good on plateus for their arcing shots) rather then a main line combat unit requiring lots of micro. I have to say I'm enjoying the change. They will be used less but I think they will still be used. (Plus their main counters (boom bots and microed dox) have had their effectiveness reduced by the addition of the spark which slaughters them.)
    igncom1 likes this.
  3. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

If only that "they like to walk in close range because they can" bug finally would be fixed, that's the only issue I see right now with them (and a bunch of other range-based units)
    xankar, ace63, elodea and 3 others like this.
  4. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

Grenadiers kiting was part of what made me just stop playing. Thank God it's gone. I can use something besides grenadiers now. Yay!
    And they are useful (and almost mandatory) in regular armies due to their range. Awesome. If only they were actually differentiated from regular units like the T1 arty was in FAF. oh well.
    pjkon1 likes this.
  5. cola_colin

I'd say they are.
    burntcustard likes this.
  6. mered4

T1 arty had almost twice the range of regular tanks. Grenadiers have like....15% more range?
  7. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

I still like them, even if they shred turrets behind walls.
    mered4 likes this.
  8. mered4

IGN is right - they do their job well.
  9. LeadfootSlim

LeadfootSlim Well-Known Member

I love the fact that they can shoot uphill against the new terrain pieces.
    elodea, cdrkf and burntcustard like this.
  10. Quitch

Yeah, the issue where Grenadiers go point blank to attack really needs to be sorted.
  11. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Yeah I think this is something a lot of people miss about them, the new terrain gives them far more utility despite the nerf.

I sent a squad of grens around the back of someone's plateau base last night, whilst pushing a tank force up the ramp- he naturally reacted by sending everything to stop the front line push, didn't notice the grens slowly destroying all his pgens from the side :D
  12. temeter

temeter Well-Known Member

Doesn't change much for procedural planets, tho, I don't think they got touched at all?
  13. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

I was of the understanding that the procedural generation can spawn the plateaus though?
  14. temeter

In the games i've played the proc maps looked exactly the same as before, was a bit disappointing.
  15. cola_colin

I would gess procedural maps don't use the new CSG because just randomly placing them won't do any good.
  16. temeter

I think there is a new CSG on metal planets over half of the mid bridges, but that seems to be about it.

Edit: Nvm, they're old too.
    Last edited: August 24, 2015
  17. Quitch

Also the DMG reduction was definitely unnecessary given the fire angle nerf.
  18. elodea

elodea Post Master General

It's weird because i swear I remember a specific bugfix for this issue in PA: vanilla some builds ago.
    igncom1 likes this.
  19. cola_colin

Yeah I reported that to tvinita directly and he also basically said "wtf, I thought that was fixed" was similar. Must have somehow come back.
    igncom1 likes this.
  20. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

It's harder to use attack move these days with this bug.

:( it's the only way I know how to play!