Grapple moves...context sensitive?

Discussion in 'Monday Night Combat 360 General Discussion' started by TGO023, June 26, 2010.

1. TGO023

TGO023 New Member

Will a character's grapple moves vary depending upon how you are oriented to the enemy (front/back/side/jumping, for example) and/or depending upon the enemy that you are executing it on?

How much variety is there on these moves? Assassin has been described as being more weighted on hand to hand combat, so does that mean Assassin will have more grapple move variety than Assault will?

The animation reward for pulling them off looks pretty awesome. Sniper's 9 iron to the grill is sweet as well.
  2. Ekanaut

Ekanaut Uber Alumni

yes.
  3. XxXMullin13XxX

XxXMullin13XxX New Member

LOL
    Just wondering can a pro do a grapple on a bot e.g can tank,gunner or assassin grapple gapshot,scrambler or bouncer
  4. Gentleman

Gentleman New Member

Yah you can most definitely do a grapple on a bot. Not sure about the Jackbots though. I guess you can grapple some bots, I suppose.

I seem to have heard once that each class can grapple a certain robot, but I'm not entirely sure.
  5. TGO023

TGO023 New Member

I've seen assassin grapple the Jackbot. Think you can see that in the most recent video at GiantBomb.com. Climbs on top and hacks away at the...head...or whatever is on top.
  6. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

Yup, the assassin can definitely grapple a jackbot!

There are a few bots that you can't grapple because it doesn't make sense for them physically.
  7. XxXMullin13XxX

Im guessing you can't grapple slim,gremlin and buzzer
  8. TGO023

TGO023 New Member

Apparently you have to be Jeff Gerstman or Ryan Davis to get more than 1 word replies from Eka.

Better get to work on my new site - GianterBomb.com
  9. Ekanaut

Ekanaut Uber Alumni

yes.

:)

The grapples do vary depending on character, direction and target. As mentioned only certain bots can be grappled like Blackjacks, Gapshots, Bouncers, and Jackbots (only Assassin and Sniper can grapple Jackbots)
  10. Col_Jessep

Col_Jessep Moderator Alumni

Eka, I would be perfectly happy with a one word reply to the question:

Can you please upload a larger version of this pic on the wiki:

[​IMG]

Please! :D
  11. Ekanaut

Ekanaut Uber Alumni

I'll upload images tomorrow when I get into work.
  12. TGO023

TGO023 New Member

Awesome. Look forward to discovering them.
  13. Col_Jessep

Thank you sooo much!
  14. Ekanaut

Ekanaut Uber Alumni

15. XxXMullin13XxX

The pictures are great I espically love the bots one because I always wanted to know their names of them
  16. Col_Jessep

"If Art and Creativity had children, youd be their favorite, Eka..."
  17. broncoburns

broncoburns New Member

I revived this thread to ask a few questions about the grapples.

1) Is grappling a bot an automatic kill? Or does their health have to be low enough?

2) Are there grapples for the Jackbot XL that aren't "finishers"? If not, can you only grapple the Jackbot once its health is low enough?

3) Is there a cooldown time for grapples? If not, is there anything to prevent someone from just continuously pulling the left trigger and grappling grappling grappling?

4) Can you be killed by a thrid party while grappling? If so, is the animation interrupted or do you die as soon as it finishes? If the animation is interrupted, is the receiver still dealt the full force of the grapple at the time of the interruption? For example, in Gears 2, if the chainsaw animation is interrupted, the person getting chainsawed still dies and falls to pieces as they would from a normal chainsaw animation.
  18. Gentleman

Gentleman New Member

Well some grapples come from using skills, so I guess they do have a cooldown time. Others don't, so I'm not sure...
  19. Ekanaut

Ekanaut Uber Alumni

Automatic kill except for Jackbots unless their health is low

You can grapple a Jackbot anytime, it might not die depending on health

cooldown on all grapples skills or secondary fire grapples (cool down meter around the cursor on non-skill grapples)

You can be killed by a third party and if you get killed your grapple target falls to the ground. The grapple damage matches the animation in that grapple so there's continuous damage during it and stops doing damage as soon as the grappler dies. So no you won't die if the grapple is interrupted.
  20. TGO023

TGO023 New Member

I would still love to see a compilation of the grapple kill animations. If that isn't feasible, how many grapple animations were created for MNC? 20? 50? 100? More?

They all look like a great payoff to the gameplay when you can pull one off.