Graphic Tearing and Bad Display Issues

Discussion in 'Mac and Linux' started by pedersen, June 21, 2013.

1. pedersen

pedersen New Member

PA Version: 49789
    Graphics cards: 2xATI Radeon HD 6870, using CrossFireX (1G each)
    Video Driver Information: 2d Driver Version: 12.10.5, Catalyst 2.18, RandR 1.3
    CPU: AMD FX(tm)-8150 Eight-Core Processor
    RAM: 16G
    Current uptime: up 1 day, 4:47
    Desktop environment: XFCE 4.8
    Monitors: 4xDell P2210

PA is being started on the monitor that has the CrossFireX acceleration enabled. When the program starts up, I receive the statement about it being Alpha/etc, and the option to Accept/Decline. When I click on Accept, the display never fully updates. I get an effect that looks something like old TVs where the vertical sync had to be adjusted. Parts of the display update, and which parts are updated slowly moves up the window. If I move the mouse to the edge of the window, everything is immediately fully rendered.

This happens for every screen update. I click on the options to join games, and get the same behavior. This continues right through bringing the planet up to begin playing the game. I can't even go around the planet without seeing the problem.

I have also checked on the status of compositing. That is disabled in my system right now, and the "wait for vertical refresh" is currently turned off.

I did not see this problem being reported in the forums, so I figured I should post it here. if this was the wrong place, let me know where to post it to, and I'll post there.

Thanks!
  2. laseek

laseek New Member

There's a bit of chat about it here - viewtopic.php?f=73&t=47934&start=110 - and a bug report of it here - http://pa.lennardf1989.com/Tracker/inde ... sk_id=1388

Try setting "Wait for refresh" on unless app specifies.
    I find that with this it's less apparent - but there's an underlying problem with sync & screen updates.

You can also try moving the mouse out of the PA game window - which should stop the flickering. It'll start up again when you hover it over any window or panel in the game.
  3. MCXplode

MCXplode Active Member

When you do a new version compile make sure you load the game run the game make sure the game is playable before worrying about the other glitches, after every linux compile verify the compile by running the game. It worked before correctly with earlier versions but now a have to adjust the v-sync and it still does it. Enabling graphics tearing helps a little.
  4. pedersen

pedersen New Member

Just to confirm: I've gotten v.49900 and am still experiencing the problem I described above.
  5. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Confirm. Have same issue.
  6. pedersen

pedersen New Member

For those with AMD cards, and the proprietary driver, there is a workaround that makes the game playable, at least.

In the Catalyst Control Center, follow these settings:

More Settings: Wait for Vertical Refresh all the way to the right (quality)
    More Settings: Enable Catalyst AI (on), slider to the right (Advanced)
    Tear Free: Enable Tear Free

Doing that, the only major *new* issue was that the mouse pointer frequently had a black block around it while moving that went away when the mouse stopped moving.

The game is playable then, at least. And I'm noticing vast improvements already.
  7. MCXplode

MCXplode Active Member

Actually turning Catalyst AI off and everything else off including v-sync and tear free desktop works better. Catalyst AI is foobar with this bug, I have Catalyst-Total 14.4-4 from Arch AUR.