Gold ROF assault/gunner viable on PC?

Discussion in 'Monday Night Combat PC Strategy and Tactics' started by cyzmyass, January 20, 2011.

1. cyzmyass

cyzmyass New Member

I know that on the console version the gold rof for assault and gunner capped out due to frame rates and lag, dont know if anybody has any uptodate stats on whether the pc version with better hardware and dedicated servers get to see the full potential of gold rof?

Here is the link:
    viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1157

Gunner

Rate of Fire (Minigun)
    Gold: 400 rounds in 10.6 secs or 2,264 rounds per/min
    Silver: 400 rounds in 10.9 secs or 2,202 rounds per/min
    Bronze: 400 rounds in 12.1 secs or roughly 1,983 rounds per/min
    Default 400 rounds in 13.2 secs or 1,818 rounds per/min

Assault

Rate of Fire (Assault Rifle)
    Gold: *25 rounds in 2.1 secs or more than 714.3 rounds per/min
    Silver: *25 rounds in about 2.1 secs or no more than 714.3 rounds per/min
    Bronze: 25 rounds in 2.5 secs or 600 rounds per/min
    Default: 25 rounds in 2.9 secs or 517.2 rounds per/min
  2. grimbar

grimbar New Member

Unreal engine is frame-limited in multiplayer matches, you won't see much of a difference
  3. cyzmyass

cyzmyass New Member

In unreal tournament, the higher the tick rate of the server (Tickrate being the measure of how often the server was updated), the more powerful the minigun became, hence rules on tickrate values on competitive ladders like this one;

http://clanbase.ggl.com/rules.php?lid=5665#chap_5

"The "NetServerMaxTickRate" settings in [IpDrv.TcpNetDriver] and [Engine.DemoRecDriver] must be set to a value of 30-35 - and it must be the same value in both places. Under certain circumstances (namely an unpatched pre-2.6 linux kernel), a higher tickrate value is allowed - however, the maximum packets sent by the server must not exceed 35 at all times."

So would be interesting to get some stats on the pc version.
  4. CrancK

CrancK New Member

surely as long as the server is running 60+ fps, it should be able to shoot up to 60 bullets per second... which it can't even nearly approach... more like 28.57 with gold ROF and if you add juice on top of that you get about 38 shots per second, still not 60 (or 66, or 100 or whatever the servers run at)

right? :roll:
  5. roadkillgrill

roadkillgrill Active Member

I still get it for the added ROF on the mortar alone. :D
  6. Polynomial

Polynomial Moderator Alumni

I use Rate of Fire for Gold on Assault because I need it to kill turrets in a reasonable amount of time at a distance.
  7. zarakon

zarakon Active Member

I'm doing some testing right now, using FRAPS and counting frames in the videos

Here are the numbers I got. For assault I used gold/silver/none RoF with bronze clip size and measured 3 clips each. For gunner I used dual minigun, gold/silver/bronze/none RoF with no clip size, and measured just 1 clip. I started without the minigun spun up and logged the time for the first row of ammo, the time for the last 3 rows, and the full time for all 4 rows.

First row is the start time, second row is the end time, last row is the difference

Code:

Assault
    Gold    
    1.15    3.97    2.82
    5.53    8.16    2.63
    9.52    12.48   2.96
    Silver
    1.34    4.61    3.27
    5.80    8.88    3.08
    10.26   13.39   3.13
    Zero
    0.86    4.59    3.73
    5.92    9.60    3.68
    10.95   14.69   3.74

Gunner Full
    Gold
    1.57    9.21    7.64
    Silver
    0.68    9.67    8.99
    Bronze
    1.14    9.67    8.53
    Zero
    1.34    10.69   9.35

Gunner First Row
    Gold
    1.57    3.87    2.30
    Silver
    0.68    3.33    2.65
    Bronze
    1.14    3.67    2.53
    Zero
    1.34    4.12    2.78

Gunner Last 3 Rows
    Gold
    3.87    9.21    5.34
    Silver
    3.33    9.67    6.34
    Bronze
    3.67    9.67    6.00
    Zero
    4.12    10.69   6.57

What I'm seeing is that firing rates are very inconsistent. In the gunner tests, Bronze RoF was actually faster than Silver, but that's probably not always the case, I just haven't taken the time to run numerous tests to get good averages..

Gold does still seem to make a significant difference for both. With assault it was pretty obvious in-game just by listening to the sound and watching the ammo meter go down. Even if it doesn't help the AR and minigun as much as it theoretically should, they should work just fine on the grenade launcher and mortar.
  8. grimbar

grimbar New Member

9. cyzmyass

cyzmyass New Member

Wow i have been using silver rof on my gunner but bronze is better o_0
  10. Providence

Providence New Member

To test gunner more accurately, I suggest you start with minigun already spun up.
  11. zarakon

zarakon Active Member

that's why i also measured the time for the last 3 rows of ammo, when it's already spun up
  12. Vleessjuu

Vleessjuu New Member

Why not just prespin with right mouse and measure the time it takes to empty the whole clip? Seems a lot more accurate to me, tbh.

Still, we appreciate the effort people put into measuring stuff like that. ;)
  13. Pluberus

Pluberus New Member

This is interesting information. I almost always run Gold ROF on Gunner and Assault, but if I'm understanding this thread, that is actually NOT optimal due to Engine limitations?

I still like it for the Mortar/Grenade Launcher.

And what about people who play with 30 FPS? Does this effect them even more?
  14. cyzmyass

cyzmyass New Member

It is a bit confusing, on console version silver was optimal for rof, but zarakon's pc stats indicate bronze rof is most efficient, but that could be a bug or measuring error, dont know.
  15. grimbar

grimbar New Member

feel free to check out the usual online fps on pc once in a while.
  16. zarakon

zarakon Active Member

because I wanted to see if, in case the full firing rate was the same between gold and silver, maybe the rate while spinning up would be different